The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #1
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

BOLO Sub no-date SCAM

As the title says, be aware of the following. This sub was purchased here but never delivered. Seller went by the name of "martinjames192".

Started with excuses that the "wired funds" hadn't shown up and then he was "afraid to go out because of the coronavirus". Gave him a deadline which he ignored. He then went dark. Notified TRF moderators and he was immediately banned. They provided IP address, Etc. to me. He also had a SS Daytona advertised which he offered me as a package deal. Glad I didn't bite. What triggered my concern was the fact that he bumped it up from page 4 to page 1 on TRF.

The SN of the watch is "V780060" which was clearly visible on the warranty card. I don't know if this is the watch he had for sale or a stolen picture. If you are offered this watch, check the provenance.

I am going to law enforcement Monday to report it. I am also going to ask if I can report it stolen because, technically, it is mine. Also, may be a crime against the elderly because I am 84. I have always had empathy for people who have been scammed, now I join you. Stay alert.
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Sorry to hear about this Don, hopefully you are able to sort it out so you aren't out the money.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:37 AM   #3
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Really sorry to hear that. These people are really the scum of the earth. I hope you find a way to get some kind of reimbursement.

Do NOT report it as stolen. It's not "technically" your watch, because you don't even know if the watch in the photos is in his possession. It might be pictures stolen from an old listing somewhere else. At which point you're reporting some innocent person's watch as stolen, which could potentially be seized for no reason at it's next Rolex service.

I can't imagine anyone would allow you to report the watch as stolen, given the circumstances anyways.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:40 AM   #4
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Man sorry to hear that.
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:40 AM   #5
Flyingpig698
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
O damn!
Another case...

Best Regards,
Danny
Flyingpig698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:44 AM   #6
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Ridiculous, hope law enforcement has something for this guy!
Old 22 March 2020, 01:44 AM   #7
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
unbelievable, go to the police and report it, hopefully with the IP address they may be able to do something also check with your bank and explain to them what happened since the other bank recipient of the wire may have some info on this person. Best of luck
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 02:35 AM   #8
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I’m truly sorry to hear that. Hopefully he either replies or gets busted. Keep us posted.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 02:35 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Once you have a police report in hand, you can certainly use that report anywhere to demonstrate that your watch is stolen.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:49 AM   #10
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

franktehtank

I agree with you about not reporting it "stolen" but I'm going to see what LEO says. I certainly don't want to put an innocent party in a bind.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:51 AM   #11
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
As the title says, be aware of the following. This sub was purchased here but never delivered. Seller went by the name of "martinjames192".

Started with excuses that the "wired funds" hadn't shown up and then he was "afraid to go out because of the coronavirus". Gave him a deadline which he ignored. He then went dark. Notified TRF moderators and he was immediately banned. They provided IP address, Etc. to me. He also had a SS Daytona advertised which he offered me as a package deal. Glad I didn't bite.

The SN of the watch is "V780060" which was clearly visible on the warranty card. I don't know if this is the watch he had for sale or a stolen picture. If you are offered this watch, check the provenance.

I am going to law enforcement Monday to report it. I am also going to ask if I can report it stolen because, technically, it is mine. Also, may be a crime against the elderly because I am 84. I have always had empathy for people who have been scammed, now I join you. Stay alert.

Very sad.... Let the Karma works..... I hope you can do something with the law enforcement
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 04:23 AM   #12
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Ahhhhh another one. sorry about that OP. Best of luck with chasing him down. Good on you to spread the word.
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 10:17 AM   #13
snyde
"TRF" Member

Wow... I was waiting for him to reply back to me as I was interested in that sub. That is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 10:32 AM   #14
jurob
"TRF" Member

Why would you until Monday?
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:02 PM   #15
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurob View Post
Why would you until Monday?
I was waiting for some more details which I don't want to discuss on open forum in case he is still lurking around here.
Old 22 March 2020, 12:07 PM   #16
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
Very sad.... Let the Karma works..... I hope you can do something with the law enforcement

Me too !!!
Old 22 March 2020, 12:36 PM   #17
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
You know, Mae West said "growing old ain't for sissies' and as I age that pearl of wisdom takes on greater significance. I was raised to have respect for my elders and I've always had a soft spot for seniors. Living for 84 years is a triumphing itself so to hear this guy scammed you makes me heartsick. It's beneath contempt at any age, but this is truly mortifying.

Whether he knew you age or not, these posts are always painful to read.

I'm hoping things work out: you get reimbursed and he lands in jail. Being a bit of a dreamer, I'd like to think he suffers a 10 megaton karmic attack for his actions, but who knows? He deserves some suffering. In the meantime, as stupid as this sounds think positive and do everything you can to reconstruct events that led up to the purchase in order to produce timelines, documentation, emails. etc. Being ready with anything the Police, Bank, Credit card company may need or ask to see will only strengthen your position.

I sincerely hope all goes well,
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:09 PM   #18
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Dammit. Sorry.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 08:45 PM   #19
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=mmmmp;10475233]You know, Mae West said "growing old ain't for sissies' and as I age that pearl of wisdom takes on greater significance. I was raised to have respect for my elders and I've always had a soft spot for seniors. Living for 84 years is a triumphing itself so to hear this guy scammed you makes me heartsick. It's beneath contempt at any age, but this is truly mortifying.

Whether he knew you age or not, these posts are always painful to read.

I'm hoping things work out: you get reimbursed and he lands in jail. Being a bit of a dreamer, I'd like to think he suffers a 10 megaton karmic attack for his actions, but who knows? He deserves some suffering. In the meantime, as stupid as this sounds think positive and do everything you can to reconstruct events that led up to the purchase in order to produce timelines, documentation, emails. etc. Being ready with anything the Police, Bank, Credit card company may need or ask to see will only strengthen your position.

I sincerely hope all goes well,
Mark

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. Yes, he knew my age because it came up in our discussion of the coronavirus. That's one of the reasons I thought he was legit, he expressed concern about me having to go out for shopping, errands, etc.
Old 22 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If he stole the pics as I’m sure he did, you can’t report it stolen....that guy never owned the watch and neither did you....sorry to hear about your luck why not post the guys name and location if you sent him a wire....if I post a pic of my daytona....someone steals my pics and rips someone off nobody is going to come take my daytona from me lol.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 11:40 PM   #21
snyde
"TRF" Member

The scammer asked for my email so he can send me more pics but never logged back in afterwards. I thought It was kind of suspect that he had his account for 6 months and had these nice watches. It looks like all of his posts were an effort to appear normal.

snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 10:11 AM   #22
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

See the thread titled "I've been scammed, beware." Looks like he got another member before he was banned.