The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 September 2022, 06:09 AM   #1
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

TRF Email Scam - September 2022

It seems like TRF has been hacked in some way, and scammers are using private message logs or forum feedback to scam TRF members.

Earlier today I received a fake email from DavidSW (who I've done business with here on the forums) offering me an opportunity to buy several stainless steel sports models at discounted prices. Clearly a scam. Then a few hours later, a TRF member who I've sold to, emailed me letting me know he received a similar email from me.

I've changed passwords (my account appears not to be hacked) and I have enabled two factor authentication for TRF to further protect my account.

Since my account wasn't hacked (or appears not to have been), it leads me to believe someone is using either private message logs or seller feedback to perpetrate this scam.

Beware.
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 06:39 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

TRF isn’t hacked at all, it’s members who fall for PM’s with links, click said links, and then forfeit their sign in details!

Here is a multi page thread outlining the phishing scam.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=378344

Now you’ve obviously displayed your personal email in previous listings, so a scammer can just read your email account, and phish from a fake similar looking account to previous ones you’ve perhaps messaged with, also in the hopes of getting you to click links that scoop your details.
Simple scam, and many many fall for it.

Always be super vigilant, and make sure to report suspect PM messages to the moderators.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 07:08 AM   #3
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

No phishing occurred here. Just to clarify, I never clicked an email with a link. And continue to have control of my TRF email accounts, both of which have two factor authentication.

It does appear however, that the scammers 1) used an email address in one of my posts to email me and 2) targeted people who posted seller feedback on me (likely they shared their contact info on TRF as well).
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 07:58 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbysplace View Post
. . .
It does appear however, that the scammers 1) used an email address in one of my posts to email me and 2) targeted people who posted seller feedback on me (likely they shared their contact info on TRF as well).
This is very possible.

Naturally, all of this information is available simply by reading the Forum posts, especially those in the Want To Buy Boards.

Conmen and scammers are always looking for a victim.
Old 15 September 2022, 08:20 AM   #5
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbysplace View Post
Yep. This is nothing new. Scammers will find a reputable seller who lists their contact info publicly in their listings, then spoof their email to contact would-be buyers. The spoofed email can either be crude, where the scammers use a similar-looking email address, but it will be off by one character, etc. Or it can more sophisticated, where the "from" address appears as the real/reputable seller's actual email address. They do this with phone numbers as well, using VOIP / Google Voice numbers.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote