The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2022, 08:19 AM   #31
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
It's happening already really, was in Paris recently and all the long queues into luxury stores were packed with Americans. Same with London, Americans every where too. The strong USD is a no brainer for them to shop here in Europe for those luxury items.
Great. Finally get to visit Europe next month and was planning on cleaning out the local ADs. Guess I'm late
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 08:22 AM   #32
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My AD will sell any Rolex they want to sell to any tourist, including out of town UK residents. These watches will not be the same models they will sell to established customers and locals, on or off waiting lists.
Harry, could you provide more details?

These watches will not be the same models they will sell to established customers and locals

I guess the keyword is “models”?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:10 AM   #33
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

I thought Brexit got rid of the VAT refunds?
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:12 AM   #34
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What does a first-class round-trip ticket over there cost?
Ask the mayor of New Orleans
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:12 AM   #35
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Do you guys have any idea how nigh impossible it is to get a Rolex watch nearly anywhere in England lol.. they can’t even provide to the local customers - loyal ones at that and most have to only sell within a x amount mile radius to their store.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:15 AM   #36
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Do you guys have any idea how nigh impossible it is to get a Rolex watch nearly anywhere in England lol.. they can’t even provide to the local customers - loyal ones at that and most have to only sell within a x amount mile radius to their store.

^^There is the fundamental flaw in even looking a exchange rates. This is like being happy the price of unicorn horn is lower in England than in the States.
Old 29 September 2022, 09:42 AM   #37
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

You can still buy pre-owned or other brands in the UK or the EU for that matter since the Euro dropped below parity.
Old 29 September 2022, 09:54 AM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
I thought Brexit got rid of the VAT refunds?
They did, though England is bringing it back in hopes it helps stimulate their economy.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:03 AM   #39
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Have a business trip to Europe in November, issue would be to find the watch at an AD in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:33 AM   #40
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_D View Post
Without a doubt Rolex hedges their FX risk but wouldn't they still be incentivized to send more watches to the US instead of the UK/EUR/JAP? Ignoring the grey mkt.
No, because the Swiss Franc is the strongest of the European currencies right now and they've pretty much got the lowest inflation rate in the world right now. Only about 3.5%. They are sitting better than any of the rest of us are even with a very troublingly high dollar.

If anything, they should keep as many at home as possible so they don't have any FX exposure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:36 AM   #41
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^There is the fundamental flaw in even looking a exchange rates. This is like being happy the price of unicorn horn is lower in England than in the States.
Ha ha, so true. I just heard that butterfly tears are on sale in London right now. I just need to sell some Sasquatch fur to generate the funds.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 11:17 PM   #42
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I did this in Spain last month. I save around 12% at Cartier. It depends on the manufacturer too I noticed. Cartier US/EU MSRP as similar, whereas there is a larger US/EU MSRP delta for Patek. (I didn’t check Rolex.)

Also, as some mentioned, luxury goods are way cheaper. I got my girlfriend a bag, it came out 42% cheaper than the US MSRP.

On the vintage/used timepieces, I have found many dealers in the last month willing to negotiate heavily on their inventory. I am going to the EU again next week to pick up another watch. This is what I’ve been waiting for for the past two years :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 03:55 AM   #43
Srct
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
The flaw with plan on Rolex is that there are not really any available from AD’s - good place to visit though
Srct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 09:56 AM   #44
AbeFroman
Banned

Bloomberg just did a write up on this today.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 11:39 AM   #45
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
what does 30% off of "I'm sorry, we only sell to existing clients" work out to?
Old 30 September 2022, 01:29 PM   #46
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

So 30% off something I can't buy. Nice. =p
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 02:05 PM   #47
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Everyone is overlooking a salient point. Even if the forex rate goes to $1 = Ł2 there are still no Rolex’s at ADs.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 03:55 PM   #48
drrd
"TRF" Member

Just checking, wouldn’t you get asked to pay tax and/or duty on return to the USA? Or if not then risk being found to be evading them?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 03:59 PM   #49
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Not only that but Japan also has a VAT refund scheme with 8% off for foreigners.

The country is fully opening up for tourism next month.
Good luck purchasing a Rolex as a tourist gaijin.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 07:08 PM   #50
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Good luck purchasing a Rolex as a tourist gaijin.
Grey dealers.
Old 30 September 2022, 10:57 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Let's see where things are a year from now, or a year from that.

Realize some are new-ish at this and joined during the very recent high demand, yet back around 2000 you could get (for example) Pateks with discount in Germany and with VAT back... so you paid around the same as USA wholesale(!).

Today's high demand is really something only recent-ish, relatively speaking. Perhaps wait it out another year (or two), the market ebbs and flows.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 1 October 2022, 07:49 PM   #52
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Heck yeah! If wishes were fishes and I knew that an AD had set aside a 124060 for me AND I knew that I would get it before I went back home, I would for sure book the flight to London and spend a 3 day weekend there with my wife to pick up the watch and then fly home. I love London and it would combine a fun visit (which I would do anyway) with actually getting my Sub that I have waited almost two years to get.
Sounds like a great weekend ahead , bargains galore . Hotel rates , drinks and meals out all at great exchange rates . Unless you are prepared to go grey , I doubt you will get your 124060 at an AD , however there are many watches other than Rolex available . Me and my wife were planning a trip from UK to Miami next year but that doesn't look good now ! Have fun
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:21 AM   #53
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So, once this whole market crashes and things get back to normal before the next financial wave upward, would you visit the UK to save 30% off of timepieces? For those within the USA this was a great way to save back in the day and looks like we're returning to these great times.

https://www.watchpro.com/slump-in-st...e-uk-than-usa/
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #54
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
As I posted on TZ, total click bait link/article lacking proper detail and context
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:09 PM   #55
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let's see where things are a year from now, or a year from that.

Realize some are new-ish at this and joined during the very recent high demand, yet back around 2000 you could get (for example) Pateks with discount in Germany and with VAT back... so you paid around the same as USA wholesale(!).

Today's high demand is really something only recent-ish, relatively speaking. Perhaps wait it out another year (or two), the market ebbs and flows.

Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 05:01 PM   #56
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

So, this basically an opportunity for a little arbitrage. Rolex prices, along with several other goods, are no longer close to the same across currencies due to the changes in the pound. That’s interesting and all, but the changes in the pound, and whether they are here to stay, is a far more interesting question. I suspect that this currency move will materially revert over the next 18-36 months, but no one can know for certain.

If folks are wanting to buy items on the cheap for a temporary value play, pick things that are easier to get which are also likely to maintain value. It’s getting hard to ignore saving these days. I’d only make the decision to invest this way if I had an exit strategy which locked in strong returns, after transactional friction costs and buy/sell spreads within 60 days of making a purchase. I’m no flipper, so I guess that means I’m out.

Very few people will be able to take advantage of the situation using Rolex watches, so that’s worth noting.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 09:31 PM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
So, this basically an opportunity for a little arbitrage.... I’m no flipper, so I guess that means I’m out.
Exactly, a bit of arbitrage due to the ever-changing illusion of central bank currency 'values'. Like you am not a flipper, though being smart helps your work/energy-for-currency efforts go further. Some call that Smart Money.

Old 2 October 2022, 11:37 PM   #58
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post
So just screw duty and use tax, I guess? lol
And the next great source of Rolexes: US Customs seizure auctions. Besides those attempting to import without declaring/paying, there are those attempting to import for resale: Multiple importations, deemed for resale purposes by anyone other than the authorized distributor (Rolex USA) are subject to seizure. IIRC, it's a matter of trademark law, and has been litigated extensively.

Quote:

Wonder if buying a car via European delivery is better too, with normal shipping to USA like BMW, Porsche, and others offer.
Doubt it. OSD vehicles are still purchased via US dealer, in US dollars, and are US spec (from a regulatory perspective) even if delivered at the factory. And I think purchasing a car in Europe and then attempting to import it as a used vehicle is actually quite difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_D View Post
Without a doubt Rolex hedges their FX risk but wouldn't they still be incentivized to send more watches to the US instead of the UK/EUR/JAP? Ignoring the grey mkt.
I tend to think this is more than a real-time decision. Watches have already been purchased by the country distributor, even though that's sometimes a wholly-owned subsidiary. It also means that, depending on the currency of purchase, it may be that distributor needing to hedge (i.e. if Rolex SA insists on selling in CHF).

Read Rolex UK's annual report, AFAIK the only Rolex-owned entity required to make a public filing, for some insights on this.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:38 PM   #59
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
You can get a 20%+ VAT rebate in Norway and the exchange rate is almost 11:1. I stopped at Bjerke in Bergen. No watches (at least for me).
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:15 AM   #60
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Suddenly, the American market will be flush with Rolexes and Asia will have a shortage.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote