The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2021, 11:01 PM   #31
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Dave that is so peaceful and serene looking. Just stunning! Your wife deserves the green thumb award! The more I look at the pictures, the more I see different details. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:19 AM   #32
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Flamin' June!

What a fantastic summers day!

These are just a couple of our shrub Roses; 'Fred' and 'Fairy', they flower from May, right through 'till the end of September. They're just outside our kitchen doors and the first that greet us on our way to the patio with our morning coffee.
We have the many and various types of Roses some of which have done their
thing and 'gone over', but many are still happily producing blossom.

Most of the planting in our garden, we inherited, but have manage to make our mark, in what was an already beautifully stocked piece of Somerset.
There were already more than fifty roses when we move in, but have added a dozen or so. Along with our favourites, the Peonies and Tree Peonies, both types of Clematis' etc,etc.
I shan't bore you all with any more garden 'flexing', I'll be showing you my luggage next! (hi Jerry )

Just to say we absolutely adore our little piece of heaven, and give thanks every day.
We would love to see and share your gardening world, with such an international
membership, it should be very interesting to see what you all get up to in your 'back yards' horticulturally speaking, of course!

Now, did I mention the runner beans and sweetcorn?.....no?...well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s21_3678.jpg (122.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg s21_3697.jpg (121.4 KB, 108 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:52 AM   #33
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
What a fantastic summers day!

These are just a couple of our shrub Roses; 'Fred' and 'Fairy', they flower from May, right through 'till the end of September. They're just outside our kitchen doors and the first that greet us on our way to the patio with our morning coffee.
We have the many and various types of Roses some of which have done their
thing and 'gone over', but many are still happily producing blossom.

Most of the planting in our garden, we inherited, but have manage to make our mark, in what was an already beautifully stocked piece of Somerset.
There were already more than fifty roses when we move in, but have added a dozen or so. Along with our favourites, the Peonies and Tree Peonies, both types of Clematis' etc,etc.
I shan't bore you all with any more garden 'flexing', I'll be showing you my luggage next! (hi Jerry )

Just to say we absolutely adore our little piece of heaven, and give thanks every day.
We would love to see and share your gardening world, with such an international
membership, it should be very interesting to see what you all get up to in your 'back yards' horticulturally speaking, of course!

Now, did I mention the runner beans and sweetcorn?.....no?...well...
It just looks so fabulous and peaceful. Wonderful my friend. Get some more pics.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:23 AM   #34
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
It just looks so fabulous and peaceful. Wonderful my friend. Get some more pics.
Thank you Dave, that's very kind of you.

It is very quiet, mostly, then some twat starts up his two-stroke hedge trimmer at 7pm on a warm summers evening! (there's always ONE, isn't there)

I will try to put more pics up, but it takes me an age, and I have to reduce the size and resolution, so disheartening.
But I will try my best.

PS. We loved your Petunias at the front, they're always, 'good doers' aren't they.
Keep 'em well fed and they'll flower 'till Bonfire Night!

Old 19 July 2021, 09:29 AM   #35
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
TRF giving ‘World of Exteriors’ (special edition of ‘World of Interiors’) a run for its money. Speedbird-1, I don’t use this word very much, but that is just gorgeous. Like Dave said, more pics would be cool to see! Also: how old is your place? I thought my house was ancient. It was built in 1973.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 10:51 AM   #36
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Dave that is so peaceful and serene looking. Just stunning! Your wife deserves the green thumb award! The more I look at the pictures, the more I see different details. Wow
Thank you very much Nicholas, she loves her hobby and it is really nice watching her get pleasure from planting and general pottering about in the garden.

DAVE

Old 19 July 2021, 11:02 AM   #37
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

That is stunning!

My dream is to downsize into a small cabin somewhere in Colorado but the wife……

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:34 PM   #38
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
TRF giving ‘World of Exteriors’ (special edition of ‘World of Interiors’) a run for its money. Speedbird-1, I don’t use this word very much, but that is just gorgeous. Like Dave said, more pics would be cool to see! Also: how old is your place? I thought my house was ancient. It was built in 1973.
Thank You my friend, for your generous comments.

The house was originally built around 1480,though of course there have been additions and alterations.
We had the roof re-thatched recently, and our Master Thatcher discovered ancient Elm timberwork and original soot blackened thatch from the 1400's.
Houses of this type around this time, didn't always have chimmenys, as we know them, just a hole in the thatch for the smoke to escape from the family Fire in the middle of the room.(what could possibly go wrong?)

Apologies if I seem to banging on like some houseproud flexer, but, we don't have collections of Platinum Daytonas or Ferraris galore or even a single piece of fancy luggage, it took us the best part of four years to find our dear little cottage, our 'forever home' and we love it so much, we don't wish to be anywhere else.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:02 PM   #39
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank You my friend, for your generous comments.

The house was originally built around 1480,though of course there have been additions and alterations.
We had the roof re-thatched recently, and our Master Thatcher discovered ancient Elm timberwork and original soot blackened thatch from the 1400's.
Houses of this type around this time, didn't always have chimmenys, as we know them, just a hole in the thatch for the smoke to escape from the family Fire in the middle of the room.(what could possibly go wrong?)

Apologies if I seem to banging on like some houseproud flexer, but, we don't have collections of Platinum Daytonas or Ferraris galore or even a single piece of fancy luggage, it took us the best part of four years to find our dear little cottage, our 'forever home' and we love it so much, we don't wish to be anywhere else.
I don't blame you my friend, your house is fabulous, it's a dream. Just think of the families that have enjoyed living there over the more than 500 years it has been built. It's lovely.

DAVE

Old 19 July 2021, 06:21 PM   #40
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't blame you my friend, your house is fabulous, it's a dream. Just think of the families that have enjoyed living there over the more than 500 years it has been built. It's lovely.
Cheers Dave, I think we are both blessed, in this world, having somewhere we love and can share in the safety of our wonderful country.

Ps. Not many other gardeners here it seems. Shame.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:55 PM   #41
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Utterly amazing. Such beautiful houses, yours and Dave’s! I am glad to hear you both are very happy in them too (as anyone would be I should think).
Old 19 July 2021, 07:26 PM   #42
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m no green thumb but have enjoyed changing our backyard significantly, transplanting many things to make a side garden, and putting some small native trees in the backyard instead to attract some birds. In southern Queensland, we get a lot of Rainbow Lorikeets and Blue-faced Honeyeaters, and the occasional Kookaburra among others. My favourites are the ubiquitous Crows though.

Failure: transplanting a very large fern to a too-sunny spot. A stupid error. I noticed some plants get very stressed from being moved but, if they are put in the right place and treated well, they’ll recover. The poor old fern just slowly died. I should have moved it again somewhere better.

Success: with the first COVID lockdown last year, like many people, I went crazy on buying lots of indoor plants. It has dramatically changed the look and feel of my house. At the same time, I bought a small Alocasia (‘elephant’s ear) for aforementioned side garden, that almost immediately blew up to almost two metres in height. A wonderful looking plant.

Do you have any photos you’d like to share of your garden? It sounds awesome. Kudos to you and your wife.

Sounds like you're having fun creating a 'new' garden.
Envious of those exotic sounding birds.
Would love to see what you're doing there......especially the Alocasia!
We have plants we call Elephants Ears, they're Begenia, much smaller Elephants here tho'

We have a spot we call the Slow Worm Hotel. It's wher we throw al the pernicious weeds, that we don't want in the compost.
I lifted the piece of carpet that covers the 'Hotel' and discovered a cluster of about 20 Slow Worms and a couple of young Grass Snakes. Beautiful!

Do you get many snakes etc in your yard?
Old 19 July 2021, 07:38 PM   #43
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for asking—I’ll take a photo tomorrow morning. No snakes yet, fortunately! I have an irrational fear of them that was even piqued just reading about your Grass Snakes. We lived on a flower farm nearby a few years back and a small Python got inside by accident once, the poor thing fell in through a louvered window. I do like snakes and think they are pretty animals, but the fear is persistent!
Old 19 July 2021, 10:41 PM   #44
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for asking—I’ll take a photo tomorrow morning. No snakes yet, fortunately! I have an irrational fear of them that was even piqued just reading about your Grass Snakes. We lived on a flower farm nearby a few years back and a small Python got inside by accident once, the poor thing fell in through a louvered window. I do like snakes and think they are pretty animals, but the fear is persistent!
Looking forward to our photo my friend.

I must admit I have never handled a snake. A snake charmer in Tunisia at the resort we were staying asked me to come out and have a snake put up my trouser leg (from the foot) and remove it through the top. It was a non poisonous one (I hope) and I couldn't really say no without losing face, I wasn't looking forward to the experience, but as I was walking out, a drunken wife and her friend loudly volunteered her husband, the snake charmer sent me back and coaxed the poor unfortunate down to meet the snake. Lucky me.

DAVE

Old 20 July 2021, 02:21 AM   #45
Wtumaneix
"TRF" Member

I admire people who are able to create such beauty
Wtumaneix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 09:27 AM   #46
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

The previously mentioned Alocasia, doing its bit to create a screen from the neighbour’s carport. Nothing as beautiful as your enviable English gardens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D2256FEE-8F58-483A-9FBA-4FA6BA0FABB0.jpeg (117.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 20 July 2021, 09:36 AM   #47
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The previously mentioned Alocasia, doing its bit to create a screen from the neighbour’s carport. Nothing as beautiful as your enviable English gardens!
I think you do yourself an injustice my friend, I think it is a fabulous plant. Looking great.

DAVE

Old 20 July 2021, 10:36 AM   #48
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’m inspired to start a garden.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:19 PM   #49
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think you do yourself an injustice my friend, I think it is a fabulous plant. Looking great.
Oh cheers Dave. Kind of you to say.
Old 20 July 2021, 08:32 PM   #50
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! That's an impressive specimen, is it Alocasia Odora? If so, it's also called the night scented Lilly, sounds wonderful.
How tall is yours at the mo'? I just read they can grow to 8ft!!
Beautiful looking plant.....you should plant a few more, and create a little micro-climate.

I'm sure we'd all like to see photo's of your exotic birds.

Happy gardening!
Old 20 July 2021, 09:39 PM   #51
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m inspired to start a garden.

Never too late Seth - a Zen garden can be started until it snows…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 09:49 PM   #52
Andad

Watch: A few.
Hi S,

This will have to tide you over until I can take some pix of the garden when it’s not raining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B514542B-163A-4AE7-B74A-0C22E99706A3.jpeg (186.1 KB, 77 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:05 PM   #53
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hi S,

This will have to tide you over until I can take some pix of the garden when it’s not raining.
Very nice Eddie, I can almost smell 'em.
Be careful of your clothing on those stamen.

What's the forecast?
Old 20 July 2021, 10:11 PM   #54
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Never too late Seth - a Zen garden can be started until it snows…

Is that yours Paul?
Always found Japanese Rock Gardens intriguing.

Some of those turns, look a bit tight.
Old 20 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #55
77T

No - my place is less organized - I have deadheaded the roses - just one.

But live on a quiet Lane and planted trees, azaleas, etc. not blooming now.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:30 PM   #56
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Quote:
We have a tiny cottage that has really small gardens front and back, my wife is the gardener and does everything, I am allowed to water sometimes while she is out. We did have gravel at the back but, because the area was so small, I suggested fake grass, which tbh looked really well. Would love to see some photos of everyones garden.

This is the front.

Some pics of the back.

I took a "Pano" of the whole thing.

The kitchen has 2 windows and a "barn" style door which frame the back garden nicely, it is raised so is directly in one's eyeline. None of this is any of my doing, my wife loves gardening and loves pottering around there.

Really though.... I think I should pay you q courtesy visit.
The garden is so tidy and a good relaxing atmosphere.

Let your wife know she did a really good job.
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:04 PM   #57
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow! That's an impressive specimen, is it Alocasia Odora? If so, it's also called the night scented Lilly, sounds wonderful… How tall is yours at the mo'?… I'm sure we'd all like to see photo's of your exotic birds…
Thanks, and I think you are bang on there with the correct name; I just looked that up and it seems exactly like mine. It’s a bit taller than me, so I think it’s nudging two metres. Good idea to plant more because this fella seems very happy. I have no photos of the birds but will try for some (without getting myself arrested, “har-har”).

Addendum: not my photo, but this is a Blue-faced Honeyeater on a native Grevillea plant like in my back garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 099AD267-6556-4A6E-B92C-C0FD78F010F5.jpeg (38.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 21 July 2021, 12:27 AM   #58
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

What a fabulous looking bird!
Old 21 July 2021, 01:10 AM   #59
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

My parents have multiple gardens in their yard and two lily ponds, one of which I helped dig. The ponds have goldfish and frogs among other water insects.

I will try to "dig" up some pics a little later.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:02 PM   #60
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Very nice Eddie, I can almost smell 'em.
Be careful of your clothing on those stamen.

What's the forecast?

Chelsea told me the forecast is not good and unusually bad.

Coldest day of the year tomorrow.

I blame the POMMIES.

I may have to go back to Aberdeen.

But SA has compensations.

Decisions decisions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA2B6707-7206-405C-8941-92DA159FFB83.jpeg (232.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg 201CB456-B56C-41FD-A946-6006A3153276.jpeg (231.5 KB, 60 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote