The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 September 2022, 02:03 AM   #1
msdaytona
"TRF" Member

Who Rolex Sells To

I posted this but for some reason the post disappeared. Weird. I'm posting again.

I came across this video

https://youtu.be/R70dS_GH8Xw

True or BS?
msdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2022, 03:38 AM   #2
TBT
"TRF" Member

Absolutely true. At least most of it.

On my first trip to my AD back in February they wouldn't put me on a wishlist without a business card. I don't use business cards, but the manager got involved and made an exception to let me use my company identification card, email, phone numbers, full name.. Seemed odd at the time and I left confused. When I got home I watched a similar video and realized this purchase probably wasn't going to happen.

4 days later I got The Call and went and picked it up.

Since then, I've bought 3 more Rolexes. Nothing considered high-demand (2 OP's and a TT SeaDweller.) I just ask "What's next?"
TBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 06:06 PM   #3
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
That channel routinely steals content from other Youtube creators. They steal content and repackage them using stock footage.

All that stuff about Rolex allocation was first released by Paul Thorpe more than a year ago. He got it from a leaked document called the "Rolex High Demand Supply Matrix" which defines the different types of clients (A, B, and C) and the rules on handling each.

I'd post some links here but I'm still new so I can't. But you can search for "Paul Thorpe" and "How Rolex AD's REALLY choose their customers FINALLY REVEALED" on YouTube to find the original video from Aug 30 2021.
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 08:01 PM   #4
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
I truly believe most people overthink the allocation process. In my experience there is absolutely no elaborate system behind who gets a watch and who doesn't. In the end it boils down to your relationship with your SA and their role at the AD, simple as that.

If your SA likes you and they can remember you, you will get a call eventually. If they feel like you are wasting their time, you won't. When a new shipment of watches arrives, SAs will be informed about the contents and go through their lists. If they don't have someone readily available, they will allocate the watches to people who have expressed interest which was documented in their CRM. The AD team will probably discuss who gets to allocate what sought after model to their clients, but that's it.

If your account is assigned to a manager - most likely because you have a significant spend history - you have better chances of getting a watch, simply because their decisions won't be second guessed by other team members and/or their managers.

Rolex does have stringent guidelines in place about the customer experience ADs have to provide to their customers. This includes things like offering them something to drink, emphasize specific technical details about the items and also handle watches only with gloves on. They also have mistery shoppers who regularly check if these guidelines are met, but that's pretty normal in high-end sales and that's it.

Don't let some expert/vlogger/keyboard warrior mislead you into thinking that Rolex has some kind of administration in place to allocate watches. They don't. Simply because people who would be part of this process - and with around a million watches produced yearly, these would need to be A LOT of people - would not make the company any money.

I am sure they do have people who check on their ADs to make sure they are not selling directly to greys. But other than that, Rolex does not care who ends up with their watches. Like every other provider of mass produced goods - and in the end, that's what Rolex watches are - they simply want to make money. Mercedes, BMW or Porsche also do not care who gets their run of the mill models. Patek, AP, VC and all the others don't either, they just have fewer pieces to go around.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 08:19 PM   #5
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Agree with Sigma. Be nice, don't nag them, maybe buy a non-Rolex piece occasionally. There is no grand conspiracy.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 08:58 PM   #6
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma089 View Post
I truly believe most people overthink the allocation process. In my experience there is absolutely no elaborate system behind who gets a watch and who doesn't. In the end it boils down to your relationship with your SA and their role at the AD, simple as that.

If your SA likes you and they can remember you, you will get a call eventually. If they feel like you are wasting their time, you won't. When a new shipment of watches arrives, SAs will be informed about the contents and go through their lists. If they don't have someone readily available, they will allocate the watches to people who have expressed interest which was documented in their CRM. The AD team will probably discuss who gets to allocate what sought after model to their clients, but that's it.

If your account is assigned to a manager - most likely because you have a significant spend history - you have better chances of getting a watch, simply because their decisions won't be second guessed by other team members and/or their managers.

Rolex does have stringent guidelines in place about the customer experience ADs have to provide to their customers. This includes things like offering them something to drink, emphasize specific technical details about the items and also handle watches only with gloves on. They also have mistery shoppers who regularly check if these guidelines are met, but that's pretty normal in high-end sales and that's it.

Don't let some expert/vlogger/keyboard warrior mislead you into thinking that Rolex has some kind of administration in place to allocate watches. They don't. Simply because people who would be part of this process - and with around a million watches produced yearly, these would need to be A LOT of people - would not make the company any money.

I am sure they do have people who check on their ADs to make sure they are not selling directly to greys. But other than that, Rolex does not care who ends up with their watches. Like every other provider of mass produced goods - and in the end, that's what Rolex watches are - they simply want to make money. Mercedes, BMW or Porsche also do not care who gets their run of the mill models. Patek, AP, VC and all the others don't either, they just have fewer pieces to go around.
Mostly agree.

But AD’s in my own experience, do like relationships. Having bought from them before hype and other brands, and/or jewelry, it’s a good start.
If you look at my signature, my collection is based on a lot my points here, so it’s first hand experience.

Having a great relationship with the Associate and manager is key. They do review with manager/owner for allocating.

They love true collectors/watch enthusiasts, they love “who you are”, do you have “style”….they like you, you are genuine. This is all part of the package… they like your anniversaries, retirements , etc.

IMHO , Each AD must a customer in mind, based on the city location….if you live in Hawaii, you are it expected to be a lawyer, or dress like a new yorker, they know what is a true local.

One interesting noticed I have noticed is that I have never see another Rolex sales at the same time I am getting mine. Sometimes, if if they the private room is occupied, then and thanks I’m brought the watch to another desk on the floor.
Or they ask where I want to go sit. Always get offered water, etc, chocolates. Always watch, , Rolex is brought out with white packaging box, etc and the actual green box. They wear gloves or have polishing cloth.

So yes there is a “system”. either classier the AD, the classier exoerience is.

Ah, and they always want to know what’s your next.

Always send them a thank you text, bring later or that day a nice bottle of wine or other appreciation token.

Be nice, be genuine, buy little things here and there… it will work out.

They don’t sell to demanding or tacky people for sure.

Hope you all get your next! or first!
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 09:03 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Rolex sells to Authorized dealers.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:05 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Exactly.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:05 PM   #9
Grand Style
Banned

Quote:

Thx for the info.
Grand Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:09 PM   #10
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Exactly.
But obviously the AD don’t sell to you
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 6 September 2022, 10:10 PM   #11
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
You only got one Rolex so they obviously don’t want to sell to you? But keep trying
Old 6 September 2022, 10:14 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post

You only got one Rolex so they obviously don’t want to sell to you? But keep trying
You have no idea what I have and I answered the question that was asked.

Good luck to you.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:40 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
But obviously the AD don’t sell to you
They certainly do

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:51 PM   #14
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:

I am best friends with 3 ADs in Europe, one is in your country.
We went to school together …and Guess what…
They are not getting watches regularly or what they have asked for.
After spending a fortune in creating a Rolex boutique, the displays
only contain 10% of what they should regularly carry.
When they get any hot and desirable model ? They will sell via a proxy to the Greys.
The sales assistant is the last person who knows what’s in (unsalable only)
I am not asking for any favors because I understand their predicament with
a company that does not want to rectify the problems
of production, distribution, timely delivery or customer satisfaction.
If Mercedes, BMW or Porsche would operate the same as Rolex ?
The shareholders would have fired the management..but not at Rolex
There aren’t any shareholders to pull the CEO’s ear…Unfortunately.
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:31 PM   #15
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I have two ADs on opposite ends of the country and i don’t think their is a huge elaborate process. I get watches from both regularly. I haven’t had anything crazy but a few subs a BLRO, and a handful of tudors. No reason they would give me watches over anyone else. Both locations have way bigger clients that spend 100k+ a year.

My local AD that i have a good relationship with, have developed a nice friendship with one of the managers gave me a bit of insight. It’s not spend history that necessarily plays into it for every watch. They want first time Rolex buyers, and they give those folks opportunities to buy watches. They likely won’t get access to gmts or Daytonas as a first purchase, but they don’t need 100k+ to get those watches. They just need to be a customer and someone that enjoys or collects watches.

There are absolutely levels however. Someone that spends 100k a year, is going to be on the short list for a Jm Daytona or a meteorite as they don’t get many. They are not going to cut off the hand that feeds them. But guys waiting multiple years for subs is absurd. Just find another AD that isn’t playing games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 05:06 AM   #16
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I personally know someone who gets first call on ALL Rolex coming into a particular AD. He has been supplying the store manager with hard-to-find scotch and whiskey regularly. Hes gotten multiples of the same models over the years. He wears them for a month or so then flips them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 08:01 AM   #17
dizzy
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Exactly
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 08:02 AM   #18
dizzy
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I will really love to do more reading on this
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 01:17 PM   #19
Nydaily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
They had your watch that day, they just made you wait 4 days….
Nydaily is offline   Reply With Quote