The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2022, 11:57 PM   #31
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If the 14 Pro thermals wind up being an improvement over the 13 Pro, I'll buy it, as I've gotten very tired of my 13 Pro dimming the screen when exposed to heat during outdoor activities. The 13 Pro is by far the most problematic phone I have had in this regard, but I can't justify spending $1,200+ unless I know for certain this issue has been improved upon. My guess is it probably has not been.

But, from a new feature perspective, I do not see any major or groundbreaking benefits and think that perhaps the justification for yearly phone refreshes grows weaker with each new iteration.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:00 AM   #32
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have an 11 Pro and was set to wait until the 15 hopefully came with usb c charding. Unfortunately, I just received an offer from Verizon to upgrade with an $800 trade in and pro-rated monthly payment of $9.00 per month.

So, do I wait another cycle or get the trade when the value of my 11 is still so gigh?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:04 AM   #33
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
For "mini" lovers:

There is a rumor that Apple will change the design of the SE to the minis' current look. If it is true, then there will be only one Iphone in this size/knowledge area. For me it seems, that the only question remained unanswered is whether this phone will get the Touch ID or Face ID?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:08 AM   #34
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I have an 11 Pro and was set to wait until the 15 hopefully came with usb c charding. Unfortunately, I just received an offer from Verizon to upgrade with an $800 trade in and pro-rated monthly payment of $9.00 per month.

So, do I wait another cycle or get the trade when the value of my 11 is still so gigh?
I don't think it is certain that the 15 will use USB-C. I think it is most likely coming at some point, but I could also see a small chance of them going a few more development cycles with Lightning (and possibly even trying to skip from Lightning to purely inductive charging if they can improve the technology).

If your 11 is meeting your needs now though, I also imagine similar offers will be available from the major carriers for future iPhones. Between the current economic conditions, the slowing speed of major features/innovations on new yearly smartphone updates (where now often the marketing is far more grandiose than the features themselves), MNVOs offering extremely competitive offerings, and Verizon losing wireless customers, IMO, the big three will probably continue these promotions.
Old 11 September 2022, 12:13 AM   #35
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have ordered a new iPhone 14 Pro in silver. will arrive between the 3rd and 10th of Oct.

I got it as an upgrade and with the trade in for my 13 Pro, I actually pay less for it a month. I got a deal some years ago from O2 on my airtime tariff for unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 30GB of data for £17.38 a month, (about $20), which does me fine.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:14 AM   #36
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
I don't think it is certain that the 15 will use USB-C. I think it is most likely coming at some point, but I could also see a small chance of them going a few more development cycles with Lightning (and possibly even trying to skip from Lightning to purely inductive charging if they can improve the technology).
I ask this question because I don't know the answer, but what advantage will USB C have over Lightning cable at the moment please?

DAVE

Old 11 September 2022, 12:20 AM   #37
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I ask this question because I don't know the answer, but what advantage will USB C have over Lightning cable at the moment please?
https://www.lifewire.com/usb-c-vs-lightning-5206813
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 12:22 AM   #38
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Thank you Brian.

DAVE

Old 11 September 2022, 12:25 AM   #39
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Theoretically, and depending how it is implemented, it could support higher speed charging, faster wired data transfer speeds, and would allow consumers to use USB-C charge cables instead of USB-to-Lightning cables.

The argument has also been made that if all phones adopt USB-C that there would be long-term environmental benefits.

In most cases, USB-C also represents a benefit in port durability, although, IIRC, Lightning and USB-C are pretty similar in this regard and both are durable when used correctly (although, from what I have observed, Lightning seems to have the benefit that when the tip breaks it may be less likely to damage the port.)
Old 11 September 2022, 12:29 AM   #40
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Theoretically, and depending how it is implemented, it could support higher speed charging, faster wired data transfer speeds, and would allow consumers to use USB-C charge cables instead of USB-to-Lightning cables.

The argument has also been made that if all phones adopt USB-C that there would be long-term environmental benefits.

In most cases, USB-C also represents a benefit in port durability, although, IIRC, Lightning and USB-C are pretty similar in this regard and both are durable when used correctly (although, from what I have observed, Lightning seems to have the benefit that when the tip breaks it may be less likely to damage the port.)
Thank you.

DAVE

Old 11 September 2022, 12:29 AM   #41
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
That was interesting, thanks for posting; I was not aware of most of those details. I've been fond of usb c mainly because it's what everything else seems to use now........and of course because it's not Apple
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:25 AM   #42
walds11
"TRF" Member

Negative. I am not upgrading every year like I used to. I am sticking with my 13 pro.
Old 11 September 2022, 01:51 AM   #43
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you.
You're most welcome!
Old 11 September 2022, 02:29 AM   #44
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I see no reason to switch from a 13 Pro.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 02:33 AM   #45
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
For "mini" lovers:

There is a rumor that Apple will change the design of the SE to the minis' current look. If it is true, then there will be only one Iphone in this size/knowledge area. For me it seems, that the only question remained unanswered is whether this phone will get the Touch ID or Face ID?
Please let this be true. I love my mini12 but not a fan of the current SE or Touch ID. Seems like there is market for a smaller phone, revamping the SE seems like a good idea.

I plan on using my mini12 until it breaks.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 02:43 AM   #46
yoast
"TRF" Member

Will be sticking with the 13pro until something with touchid or usbc comes out. The thing is effing heavy tho, but I need the camera.

7 was the best I ever had
Old 11 September 2022, 03:17 AM   #47
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Already ordered the 16.

As a true Rolex collector, I know how to account for wait times.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:19 AM   #48
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Well, Verizon let me upgrade with an $800 trade in allowance on both my wife’s and my 11Pro and a reduction of $50 in my total monthly bill with the existing 5g basic plan I currently have. At that point it is a no-brainer to upgrade.

Verizon customers may want to look into this. Especially if you have an 11 or 12.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 11 September 2022, 03:45 AM   #49
AbeFroman
Banned

The trade in and bill credits definitely make upgrading much more reasonable than in years past.

Regarding the bill credits, most forget that it’s not applied in full, but spread out over 24-36 months depending on your carrier. If you choose to upgrade you’ll forfeit the remainder of your bill credits from your current iPhone 13. Just something to double check.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:52 AM   #50
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Depends what deals my carrier has to offer. I’m in no rush at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:52 AM   #51
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am a techno-geek, and always have to have the latest and greatest, so of course checked out the idea of replacing my 13 Pro with a 14, but just looking at the releases, there doesn’t seem to be a major improvement … ?

Am I missing something ?

I am the same way, but I’m passing on the 14. Getting a little tired of apple continuing to push out the exact same phone with minimal spec bumps. I read recently the average iPhone owners phone was 3 years old. I have no interest in bigger cameras and minor speed bumps, i want a redesign! We have been using the exact same shape for 3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 05:05 AM   #52
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
We have been using the exact same shape for 3 years.
In addition, the design of the iPhone 12 is nothing more but a retro iPhone 5 look

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 05:16 AM   #53
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
13 mini here. Since Apple has stopped that size it will be a while before I replace.
I’m on the 12 mini so the next is the 13 mini for me.

Aside from the satellite feature on the new pro, which is interesting, I can’t see anything new on the 14 that interests me since I’d never get a pro anyways.

And the satellite feature looks like a new way of tracking someone.
Old 11 September 2022, 06:42 AM   #54
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
In addition, the design of the iPhone 12 is nothing more but a retro iPhone 5 look

Ya good point. I want something new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:11 AM   #55
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have the 11. Is the 14 a big upgrade from mine?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:27 AM   #56
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I have the 11. Is the 14 a big upgrade from mine?
Would be a significant upgrade in speed IMO from the 11. Immaterial from a 13, though
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:44 AM   #57
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I’m in the upgrade plan with Apple. I pay about $600 a year to have the new phone every year. I honestly don’t spend much on myself in general so I’m happy to do this. I’ve got the 14 Pro ordered and arriving next week.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:47 AM   #58
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Would be a significant upgrade in speed IMO from the 11. Immaterial from a 13, though
X2.

I decided to upgrade my 11 Pro to get the newer processor. Also, some sources have indicated that the 14 should have better reception than our 11 due to improved antennaes. My brother’s 13 definitely had a stronger signal than mine in our neighborhood.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 11 September 2022, 07:49 AM   #59
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Still ok with my three-year-old iPhone 11. About 1/3 storage available, battery is still 87%. Should get to 5 years, I reckon.
Same here - the 11 is a great phone. Does everything I need
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:51 AM   #60
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I’m on the 12 mini so the next is the 13 mini for me.

Aside from the satellite feature on the new pro, which is interesting, I can’t see anything new on the 14 that interests me since I’d never get a pro anyways.

And the satellite feature looks like a new way of tracking someone.
Same here - I have the 12 Mini and love that size so, as there is not a 14 Mini coming out I will be going for a 13 Mini.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote