The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 September 2022, 12:46 PM   #1
watch3r
"TRF" Member

Icon6 Crazy watch reunions

I've seen a couple of posts recently about folks losing Rolexes, but would love to hear your stories about watches that found their way home.

I am relatively new to Rolex world, but spend 50-60 days/yr fly fishing. A friend who owns a fly fishing shop in the US told me the following story when we were discussing the reliability/quality of the Submariner compared to other brands. I don't have any reason to doubt him, other than the fact that he's a fellow fisherman....

According to him, a guy came into his shop and started talking about how he had been fishing in the Bahamas. When you fly fish in the Bahamas, you spend hours on the bow of a boat going over really clear water flats anywhere from 1-5 ft deep on average looking for bonefish. The guy said he looked down and thought he saw a watch in the sand, so he hopped off the boat and picked up what turned out to be a Sub. Apparently, another guy who happened to be in the shop at the same time said he had returned from the Bahamas a week earlier and had lost his Sub on XXXXXXX island, and asked if the one the guy found had the initials XXX engraved into it. Apparently everything matched up and the Sub was returned to it's original owner with a great story.

I guess if ever there were a watch that would survive a week in the salt and live to be returned to its original owner, it would be the Sub.....
watch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Great story and seemed possible until I read about the engraved initials?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Why? I think it's a less common cultural tradition now but the back of most Rolexes is perfect for engraving and people do it.

I would have happily bought T. Boone Pickens engraved 1803 DD. What a cool watch and a great story. Talk about recognizing a milestone.

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6282871
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 02:19 AM   #4
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I think the OP was substituting XXX for the real initials.

Also, what Xactly does "intials" mean?

I hope you find a laugh in the irony.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 04:44 AM   #5
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Nice story, but are there any reasons the outcome wouldn't have been the same with any number of Rolex models with an Oyster case and WR to 100 meters?
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 04:49 AM   #6
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
Xavier Xylas Xi
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 04:57 AM   #7
watch3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
Yes, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Nice story, but are there any reasons the results wouldn't be the same with any number of Rolex models with an Oyster case and WR to 100 meters?
To be honest, I wish it had been about another WR model as that would've been even more fun. We were discussing the Sub (in this case as representative of Rolex quality) compared to other brands, though, not to other Rolex models.
watch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 05:09 AM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Fishermen are known to exaggerate their catch and this seems no different. You're telling me two complete strangers from the same US city went separately to the same island in the Bahamas a week apart, then happened to meet at the US bait shop at the exact same time and happened to be discussing the lost Rolex?

I caught a 314 lb small mouth last week.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 08:58 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch3r View Post
Yes, exactly!

To be honest, I wish it had been about another WR model as that would've been even more fun. We were discussing the Sub (in this case as representative of Rolex quality) compared to other brands, though, not to other Rolex models.
Most WR watches of any brand should get through a week in a few feet of seawater without much trouble.
Old 1 October 2022, 01:02 AM   #10
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch3r View Post
I've seen a couple of posts recently about folks losing Rolexes, but would love to hear your stories about watches that found their way home.

I am relatively new to Rolex world, but spend 50-60 days/yr fly fishing. A friend who owns a fly fishing shop in the US told me the following story when we were discussing the reliability/quality of the Submariner compared to other brands. I don't have any reason to doubt him, other than the fact that he's a fellow fisherman....

According to him, a guy came into his shop and started talking about how he had been fishing in the Bahamas. When you fly fish in the Bahamas, you spend hours on the bow of a boat going over really clear water flats anywhere from 1-5 ft deep on average looking for bonefish. The guy said he looked down and thought he saw a watch in the sand, so he hopped off the boat and picked up what turned out to be a Sub. Apparently, another guy who happened to be in the shop at the same time said he had returned from the Bahamas a week earlier and had lost his Sub on XXXXXXX island, and asked if the one the guy found had the initials XXX engraved into it. Apparently everything matched up and the Sub was returned to it's original owner with a great story.

I guess if ever there were a watch that would survive a week in the salt and live to be returned to its original owner, it would be the Sub.....
Thats an amazing story. The guy giving it back must have felt to so good to make someone so happy after losing their watch.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 01:31 AM   #11
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Nice read
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 01:47 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Thats an amazing story. The guy giving it back must have felt to so good to make someone so happy after losing their watch.
X2

Karma has to be coming his way
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote