The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2018, 10:45 AM   #91
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotch Bouy View Post
still sort after, as I've read these are quite mass produced compared to previous years?
Why would "mass produced" make it more "sort after"?

If you want the Daytona with a ZENITH movement and running seconds at 9 O' Clock, yes its fine.
If you want a Daytona with latest Rolex "in-house" movement - go for that.

Its personal preference - but dial is not MK IV

Regards
Old 15 August 2018, 03:52 AM   #92
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
does anyone know what the msrp of a zenith daytona was? any year from 94-2000.
jcdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 05:17 PM   #93
stats007
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have a list of the dial / hand combinations that were available for the Daytona? I keep seeing models with red hands for example but not in any official Rolex literature?
stats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 11:13 PM   #94
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats007 View Post
Does anyone have a list of the dial / hand combinations that were available for the Daytona? I keep seeing models with red hands for example but not in any official Rolex literature?
Hi
May help you
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=51701
Old 10 May 2019, 12:07 AM   #95
stats007
"TRF" Member

Thanks - I had read that but it doesn't have any info on hands.
stats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 01:37 AM   #96
FSK7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post

Is there a similar list like this but for the 116509? I’m seeing watches that have grey dials with red minute hand and some with regular minute hand. Also there’s the black dial with red accents. Am I confusing the black and grey ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FSK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 12:40 PM   #97
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
What an insightful read going back 12 years. Like going through a time capsule. Thanks Larry, learned more about the watch I’ve come to love.

Old 9 February 2020, 09:00 PM   #98
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Daytona’s are like pistachios, I cannot stop at just one. Here’s my collection and then my favorite of them all.

LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 10:40 PM   #99
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Wow! That’s such an impressive collection. Love them all but especially the blue dial

Old 14 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #100
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Awesome video!!

“A Week On The Wrist: The Rolex Daytona Ref. 116500LN” via @watchville
https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/48319/click
Old 20 February 2020, 02:59 AM   #101
wangyuetian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite GMT II
Very thorough information, thank you..
Can never get tired of my Daytona

wangyuetian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:52 PM   #102
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

So I’m interested in opinions to an embarrassingly lucky problem.

I currently have a 116500LN white face ceramic bezel Daytona. I purchased it from a grey (I know, loser move but I was in love with it and just had to make her mine) a couple of years back. Watch is in fine shape, full papers and box. Some typical scratches from wear and tear. The problem comes in when today I get a call from my local AD who finally is back open, and tells me the he has a brand new white face ceramic Daytona for me as I had put my name on his list years and years ago. So I buy it, at list, and now have two of the same watches. My initial plan was to sell back to a grey dealer the current grey purchased watch to recoup the over sticker cash I paid a few years back; lower my basis if you will.
But then I started thinking (always dangerous). Why not continue to wear the grey purchased one and also keep the brand new one from my AD but stick the new AD purchased watch in the vault for 10 or 20 years and have an unused, never been worn, pristine watch 20 years from now. I’m a little torn between just recouping the money now that I spent initially, or going with plan B, and saving the new one in the never worn condition and hope that 20 years from now it‘s a true collectors item. As an FYI, I currently have this same situation with a 2006, 116520 Z series Daytona. It is still in the ‘coffin’ box, full stickers and all, never ever been worn. List price in 2006 was $6,000. Current value (based on internet searching) is $26,600. So it’s increased $20,000 in 14 years. So, do I sell the grey back and recoup the over payment now, or keep the grey and the one I wear and stash the brand new one in the vault for 20 years. I’m interested in opinions. Thank you

Old 30 May 2020, 05:59 PM   #103
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCrown View Post
So I’m interested in opinions to an embarrassingly lucky problem.

I currently have a 116500LN white face ceramic bezel Daytona. I purchased it from a grey (I know, loser move but I was in love with it and just had to make her mine) a couple of years back. Watch is in fine shape, full papers and box. Some typical scratches from wear and tear. The problem comes in when today I get a call from my local AD who finally is back open, and tells me the he has a brand new white face ceramic Daytona for me as I had put my name on his list years and years ago. So I buy it, at list, and now have two of the same watches. My initial plan was to sell back to a grey dealer the current grey purchased watch to recoup the over sticker cash I paid a few years back; lower my basis if you will.
But then I started thinking (always dangerous). Why not continue to wear the grey purchased one and also keep the brand new one from my AD but stick the new AD purchased watch in the vault for 10 or 20 years and have an unused, never been worn, pristine watch 20 years from now. I’m a little torn between just recouping the money now that I spent initially, or going with plan B, and saving the new one in the never worn condition and hope that 20 years from now it‘s a true collectors item. As an FYI, I currently have this same situation with a 2006, 116520 Z series Daytona. It is still in the ‘coffin’ box, full stickers and all, never ever been worn. List price in 2006 was $6,000. Current value (based on internet searching) is $26,600. So it’s increased $20,000 in 14 years. So, do I sell the grey back and recoup the over payment now, or keep the grey and the one I wear and stash the brand new one in the vault for 20 years. I’m interested in opinions. Thank you

Pick it up and stick it in the safe - it’s worked before for you (wow!) so why not again - that’s indeed a lucky problem to have and one a lot us would love to have as well. :)

Or sell the grey one and use the new.
Old 30 May 2020, 10:39 PM   #104
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Yep buy it and put it away , I used to always take any new Daytona I was offered and sell my current version so I always had a watch under warranty and no servicing etc,

But now with zero returns from the bank just stash the watches after all you can always sell them if you need money
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 12:46 AM   #105
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys

Old 1 June 2020, 12:34 PM   #106
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

This is the 2006. Untouched. I think I will take the advice and put the new one away just like this and see what happens in the future.

Old 5 June 2020, 10:23 PM   #107
Luca79
"TRF" Member

Wow that's more than mint!
Luca79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 07:04 PM   #108
careeraxe
"TRF" Member

I am looking to buy a Daytona I saw. It’s a pre-owned model - 2006. It has a white dial with gold and stainless steel.

I want to buy a rubber strap for it, with the Buckle. Where can I buy one from? What is the consensus of how it will look?

Thanks
careeraxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 03:54 PM   #109
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by careeraxe View Post
I am looking to buy a Daytona I saw. It’s a pre-owned model - 2006. It has a white dial with gold and stainless steel.

I want to buy a rubber strap for it, with the Buckle. Where can I buy one from? What is the consensus of how it will look?

Thanks

I’ve long been a fan of using personal straps on certain of my watches. But, I do find myself sometimes swapping them off and on like some kind of Apple Watch! (like imagine if we all suddenly had to stay locked in doors with nothing to do......).

As for where to get one, there are many many on-line places of varying degrees of flexibility, price and quality. Personally, after trying a few others and looking around, I finally found Dangerous9 and purchased numerous straps from them in many different combinations of design for a few different model watches. Here is the link

https://dangerous9straps.com/shop/

Every time the new strap arrives, I’m blown away. You can pick from so many different leathers, colors,finishes.... it does take a while between order and receipt because everything is hand made and the components each hand purchased. But when you finally get the new strap, excitedly swapping it into the body of your watch and then finally wearing it, it just feels perfect!! I don’t feel this way about every diff model of Rolex. Some models I prefer to wear as originally designed on the steel or gold bracelet. As it so happens, I’m currently wearing a white face Daytona 116500LN on a custom made strap of alligator on the outside and teju Lizard on the inside. It makes it a very different watch to wear. Funny, I prefer my black dial 116500LN only with the the original metal bracelet. All a question of personal taste I guess.

Old 18 September 2020, 03:00 AM   #110
Pserial116
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
first post. What a thread!
Pserial116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 04:42 AM   #111
SherryHenderson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Waterproof Daytona

It seems we get questions about the Daytona and it's waterproof capabilities quite a bit lately.

The Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, with screw down pushers, is waterproof to the same 100m capability of all Oyster Cased Rolexes. The Daytona is waterproof whether the pusher screwlocks are tight or not.

The pushers internal actuation are the weak link for this depth rating and must not be pushed while submerged. To ensure this, screw locks are fitted to each pusher.

The pusher is an assembly that contains it's own internal "O" rings and is screwed into the case with a gasket seal against the case. When the pusher is depressed, it deforms the "O" rings slightly and may allow water to enter the movement through the actuator rod hole. They also may be inadvertantly depressed so the usual mode should be with the pushers screwed down and locked unless in use.

Attachment 23225
Rolexes have always been viewed as the intersection of functionality, survivability, and luxury. That's why I've found it so important to understand the water resistance of watches and what they mean. (waterproof isn't even a term that companies can use anymore). You don't really know how water resistant a watch is based off the depth listed, so it's best to do additional research. I used this article to determine how careful I had to be with my YachtMaster : https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...aterproof.html

"Perhaps more than anything else, the unassailable reputation of Rolex watches rests on their ability to withstand the extremes. The brand’s products have truly been to the highest, lowest, hottest, and coldest places on Earth, handling with ease the most hostile environments the planet can offer."
SherryHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote