The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2006, 06:55 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Any Math genius out there?

Here's a simple problem:

Weight of TT Blue Sub = 148 grams
Weight of SS Sub-date = 135 grams

Difference in weight = 13 grams.

Calculate the exact weight (in grams) of GOLD in the TT Blue Sub.

NOTE: Above weights are all based on weight of watch with all ORIGINAL links as they come from the factory.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Well, if we were to know if the gold bits were used in place of 316 or 904, or if both were used what the proportions were, I suppose we could work it out fairly easily. Say JJ, seeing as how you're going to get a TT Sub to join your SS one, could we melt the bits of both down to perform some quantitave analysis on the composition?
Old 18 September 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
You're leaving out one important fact. The ratio of SS to gold in the TT sub. Without that (or the TT sub in hand) that math problem is not possible. Not to mention the fact that the movement, amoung other things are not to be counted.

If we were talking an SS sub vs. an all gold sub, that would be a different story.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 09:31 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Trust JJ another impossible one to answer,but the total gold weight well not a lot, considering the price difference.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 10:43 PM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

You're going wayyyyyyyyy off the deep end again
Old 19 September 2006, 05:14 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
You're leaving out one important fact. The ratio of SS to gold in the TT sub. Without that (or the TT sub in hand) that math problem is not possible. Not to mention the fact that the movement, amoung other things are not to be counted.

If we were talking an SS sub vs. an all gold sub, that would be a different story.
Excellent point you've raised there, Seth.

Guess what? I asked this very same question on another forum a long time ago and one of the guys did the math and came up with the correct answer: 26 grams.

Now I can't remember how he quite worked it out, but he somehow knew the ratio of SS to Gold and just doubled the weight difference of 13 grams to equal 26 grams.

You seem like a math student, Seth. Perhaps you could work it out for us and come with some answers!!

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 19 September 2006, 05:22 AM   #7
morgman
"TRF" Member

You should wait and get the GMT with solid gold links!!!
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 05:24 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
You should wait and get the GMT with solid gold links!!!
If it came with the same gorgeous BLUE dial, I would!!

Old 19 September 2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Now I can't remember how he quite worked it out, but he somehow knew the ratio of SS to Gold and just doubled the weight difference of 13 grams to equal 26 grams.
What a load of bollocks. The only way that could work out is if you had the figures to show that the gold is exactly twice as dense as the SS. Without the relevant information, you'd have as much luck guessing the annual tonnage of bat guano in Brazil.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:53 AM   #10
jaycee
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
But how much gold is in the gold? I don't know what Rolex use but remember that 9 carat gold is only 9/24ths gold i.e. a little over a third is actually gold, the rest is generally tin, zinc and other metals.

jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Yuh huh. This is as good as asking if a pound of feathers or a pound of iron is heavier.
Old 19 September 2006, 10:22 AM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
What a load of bollocks. The only way that could work out is if you had the figures to show that the gold is exactly twice as dense as the SS. Without the relevant information, you'd have as much luck guessing the annual tonnage of bat guano in Brazil.

That's right about as much as JJ shovels at Mansors, right?
Old 19 September 2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

That's volume, Craig - like I said, we have to account for density!
Old 19 September 2006, 10:46 AM   #14
miner
"TRF" Member

How does the song go..

The length times the breadth plus four fifths of the depth
Was Pi R squared of F-All

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 11:02 AM   #15
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
How does the song go..

The length times the breadth plus four fifths of the depth
Was Pi R squared of F-All

I played hockey and wrestled in high school, I was wayyyyy too dumb for these types of classes
Old 19 September 2006, 11:03 AM   #16
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's volume, Craig - like I said, we have to account for density!
Uh huh, dense, thick, like his little woolly friends Now I got it
Old 19 September 2006, 06:21 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
But how much gold is in the gold? I don't know what Rolex use but remember that 9 carat gold is only 9/24ths gold i.e. a little over a third is actually gold, the rest is generally tin, zinc and other metals.

Rolex use only 18 K gold!!

Old 19 September 2006, 06:22 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
That's right about as much as JJ shovels at Mansors, right?
Tosser!!

Old 19 September 2006, 09:16 PM   #19
----

Quote:
I hate posting "general" information about metals because it can be misleading, but yesterday when this subject came up I looked up the density of one type of SS and 18k gold:

316 SS = 7.8 g/cm3

18k gold = 15.5 g/cm3

And BTW I did not do the calculation that JJ refers to.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:34 PM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Hmm - nickel's slightly denser than iron, so 904 would be denser than 316 ...

Anyway, what the devil's that got to do with bat guano?
Old 19 September 2006, 09:36 PM   #21
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Excellent point you've raised there, Seth.

Guess what? I asked this very same question on another forum a long time ago and one of the guys did the math and came up with the correct answer: 26 grams.

You seem like a math student, Seth. Perhaps you could work it out for us and come with some answers!!

Thanks - JJ

Well, it's true I was a math student, but I think I still need more information. If you knew the ratio of SS to Gold in the watch, you shouldn't need to double anything. Unless, of course, SS was exactly have the mass of gold, which I don't think it is. I'll think about it a little more and see what I can come up with...
Old 19 September 2006, 09:38 PM   #22
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I hate posting "general" information about metals because it can be misleading, but yesterday when this subject came up I looked up the density of one type of SS and 18k gold:

316 SS = 7.8 g/cm3

18k gold = 15.5 g/cm3

And BTW I did not do the calculation that JJ refers to.
Apparently I am wrong. Maybe gold is double stainless steel. The only thing here, though, is that Rolex uses 904 SS not 316. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between 316 and 904...
Old 19 September 2006, 09:41 PM   #23
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Seth, as Peter has pointed out in another thread, Rolex did not entirely switch to 904 SS. Some parts are still 316.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:45 PM   #24
----

Quote:
Apparently I am wrong. Maybe gold is double stainless steel. The only thing here, though, is that Rolex uses 904 SS not 316. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between 316 and 904...
904 is not THAT different to 316, and according to Padi, a good deal of a Rolex is 316 anyway (I have no idea if this is true or not, and I'm sure this thought will upset the 904L worshippers). In the context of this discussion (a SWAG at best) the weight difference between 904 and 316 is "negligible" I'm sure.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:45 PM   #25
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seth, as Peter has pointed out in another thread, Rolex did not entirely switch to 904 SS. Some parts are still 316.
Well, we learn something new everyday. That is something I did not know. It doesn't change the fact, though, that there is some 904 and that may or may not have the same density as 316. I don't know my stainless steels well enough to know that without looking it up.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:48 PM   #26
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
904 is not THAT different to 316, and according to Padi, a good deal of a Rolex is 316 anyway (I have no idea if this is true or not, and I'm sure this thought will upset the 904L worshippers). In the context of this discussion (a SWAG at best) the weight difference between 904 and 316 is "negligible" I'm sure.
Depends on what "that" means. I would say they are quite different when it takes 2000 lbs of force to shape 316 and something high like 40,000 lbs to shape 904. (that info was from the AD, don't quote me on those exact numbers)

Now, if you are referring to the difference in density, you may be correct, they may be relatively close.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:53 PM   #27
s7horton
"TRF" Member

according to the small amount of information I looked up, 904L and 316 stainless steel have EXACTLY the same density. 8000 kg/m^3...

For what it's worth...

Also, there appears to be a cheaper, better alternative to 904L....Someone more intelligent in metals may be able to correct me, but it appears that 2205 SS is as resistant to corrosion as 904, has a higher mechanical strength, and is a fair amount cheaper. Maybe we can convince Rolex to switch and drop their prices!
Old 19 September 2006, 09:55 PM   #28
----

Quote:
Depends on what "that" means. I would say they are quite different when it takes 2000 lbs of force to shape 316 and something high like 40,000 lbs to shape 904. (that info was from the AD, don't quote me on those exact numbers)

Now, if you are referring to the difference in density, you may be correct, they may be relatively close.
Oy!
Old 19 September 2006, 10:37 PM   #29
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
according to the small amount of information I looked up, 904L and 316 stainless steel have EXACTLY the same density. 8000 kg/m^3.
Yeah, in any case, for a lousy few grams the difference wouldn't bother anybody besides JJ.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:09 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Yeah, in any case, for a lousy few grams the difference wouldn't bother anybody besides JJ.
With my beloved Rollies, every milligram counts....let alone a WHOLE BLOODY GRAM!!!