The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Submadatejust

What kind of stereo equip do we Rolex wearers have?

I wonder if there are other -- perhaps unexpected -- parallels among us.

I have an Outlaw Audio 1050 which I pretty much use as a pre-amp at this stage.

Power comes from Cambridge Audio P500s.

Canton speakers (German -- very Rolexish). I have them on cool Pinnacle speaker stands that were ~$42. They are REALLY good looking.

Outlaw subwoofer.

I also have a device whose name escapes me that sends a wireless signal to a receiver in the kitchen so I can have music out there. I have a $29 T-Amp that powers a pair of Dahlquist towers.

Not one of your expensive racks, but sounds SUPER and fits my small Manhattan apartment GREAT!

Subwoofermadatejust
Submadatejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I have a BOSE radio on top of my TV, does that count?
Old 24 September 2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
StingRay tube poweramp from Manley Labs
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Mine was a bargin........................buy one speaker, get one free.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 03:26 PM   #5
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
This hotel room has one of those horrible clock radios. I want a Bose 38!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 04:57 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
Mine was a bargain........................buy one speaker, get one free.
LMAO!!! You gentleman tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 04:59 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
I have a BOSE radio on top of my TV, does that count?
Sure does, pal. Actually I've heard these New Wave Bose radios and they do produce a very rich and resonant sound for their size!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 September 2006, 05:05 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Here's mine....Harman/Kardon receiver with matching CD player and B&W speakers (Bowers & Wilkins) - British speakers. Pretty solid system with a very rich and broad spectrum sound.

Old 24 September 2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Southern Jessie

My set up is a bit old but I have an Arcam Alpha 8 Pre-amp, Arcam Alpha 7SE cd player, and Arcam Alpha 7 Amp. Speakers are Maudant Shorts. I like Arcam (you couldn't tell, could you!) in general, although there are some wicked manufacturers out there (Linn, Music Fidelity, Roksan, Cyrus, etc)
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 05:30 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Good one, Shane. Arcam make some real good audio equipment!!

Old 24 September 2006, 07:33 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
My own system quite old now two Mission Cyrus 11 amps two PSX power supplies both amps converted into mono amps one for left same for right.Now push around 200 watts each into 8 ohm,and my speakers TTL studio 10 transmission line floor standing speakers.Did have a Pink Triangle Tarantella record deck with a Decca LG cartridge a superb sound.And IMO the LP still has the edge on all digital music.My CD player a Arcam Alpha 8SE,later had new module put in, to upgrade it to Alpha 9 its about 7 or eight years old, but still a fine sounding player.But not as good as the Pink Triangle record deck IMHO.But one of the best sounds I have ever heard was 15 watt valve amp, cannot remember the name,linked up to the Pink Triangle and my speakers.The sound was unbelievable,totally the best sound I have ever heard.The sound difference between the transistor,and valve amp well hard to explain.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 11:42 PM   #12
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I think a real good questions is what kind of WIVES do Rolex owners have! :-)
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2006, 11:44 PM   #13
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Personally, I have the best kind - a Rolex owner herself. Don't get no better than that!
Old 25 September 2006, 12:18 AM   #14
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Here's mine....Harman/Kardon receiver with matching CD player and B&W speakers (Bowers & Wilkins) - British speakers. Pretty solid system with a very rich and broad spectrum sound.

I just have to ask, where is that handle for JJ? Is it portable?
Old 25 September 2006, 01:57 AM   #15
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jessie View Post
My set up is a bit old but I have an Arcam Alpha 8 Pre-amp, Arcam Alpha 7SE cd player, and Arcam Alpha 7 Amp. Speakers are Maudant Shorts. I like Arcam (you couldn't tell, could you!) in general, although there are some wicked manufacturers out there (Linn, Music Fidelity, Roksan, Cyrus, etc)
Another Arcam fan here - good equipment at a decent price. On the low side of "high end" but then I don't have $50K plus to spend on audio........need to save my pennies for more watches!

My dedicated 2-channel system is and Arcam Alpha 9 CD player, Moon I5 Integrated amp, Panamax 5500 power conditioner, XLO interconnects and speaker cable, and Mirage OM-5 speakers.

My home theatre system is an Arcam FMJ DV27 DVD player, a DiVA AVR300 surround receiver, and a bunch of Tannoy speakers.
Old 25 September 2006, 02:51 AM   #16
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Long suffering ones.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 03:12 AM   #17
Southern Jessie

Actually, I think it's better spending money on a good-sounding separates system than on a watch, but we don't think like that, do we?

Looking back at my original post I meant to say I have an Arcam Alpha 8 Power Amp, not Pre-Amp!
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 03:13 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
Long suffering ones.

Old 25 September 2006, 03:36 PM   #19
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
specktone-g1.jpg

This is the stereo that I recently purchased as it designed to work with my iPod (it plugs into the top on a dock which also charges the iPod). It's called a SpeckTone. The sound quality is great (it has a 4" sub underneath). Plus the retro look is fantastic. I love this thing and it fills my family room with plenty of great sound.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 05:26 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Nice one, Frank!!

Old 26 September 2006, 04:11 AM   #21
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Man, I didn't know this thread was around. I don't always check the open forum area. I'm into high end audio as much as I'm into Rolex, probably even more. I have a minimalist setup for now.

I've been through a ton of gear. In fact, it's safe to say I've been through almost double the amount of speakers that JJ has been through Rolex...

Everything from Linn, Musical Fidelity, Rega, and Rotel to Martin Logan, Magnepan, B&W, Meadowlark, Revel, parasound, audio physic, and Bryston. I've slowed down for a little while now since I just got married, but I'm sure it will pick back up again.

My current system is a small one built around spending equal amounts of money on every component of the system. I'm pretty happy with how it sounds now, but that doesn't mean a change is not in the near future.

here's a link to my current system..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...081718276&view
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 04:14 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Great system, Seth. Nice layout!!

Old 26 September 2006, 04:18 AM   #23
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Man, I didn't know this thread was around. I don't always check the open forum area. I'm into high end audio as much as I'm into Rolex, probably even more. I have a minimalist setup for now.

I've been through a ton of gear. In fact, it's safe to say I've been through almost double the amount of speakers that JJ has been through Rolex...

Everything from Linn, Musical Fidelity, Rega, and Rotel to Martin Logan, Magnepan, B&W, Meadowlark, Revel, parasound, audio physic, and Bryston. I've slowed down for a little while now since I just got married, but I'm sure it will pick back up again.

My current system is a small one built around spending equal amounts of money on every component of the system. I'm pretty happy with how it sounds now, but that doesn't mean a change is not in the near future.

here's a link to my current system..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...081718276&view

Well, I've been through Krell, l' Audiophile, SystemDek, Kiseki, Mission, etc. To get started for our first house I sold the lot (only item I didn't lose money on was the Krell PAM-1 ) and never have been able to get to the same level again. After marriage and kid..... I let it rest Still browse through the mags though, turntables are having a renaissance again!
Old 26 September 2006, 04:21 AM   #24
Atomic

My set up is the result of a highly complex process that resulted in a superlative and officially certified...

Oh hell..

It's a 26 year old Pioneer SX3400 with a whopping 15w a side (but very clean). My CD player is a POS Sony carosel that went into the shop a month after I bought it, then three months after that and it's never played right.

However, they are hooked to my Paradigm Atom bookshelf speakers that are just beauty, eh!
Old 26 September 2006, 04:22 AM   #25
s7horton
"TRF" Member

I agree, I've got a big hunger for a turntable. Music hall was the last one I had. I'd love to try a Rega P3. Inexpensive and quite stellar, from what I hear.

I hope that marriage doesn't push this hobby to the side for me. I've heard that it has done that to so many people before.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:25 AM   #26
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
My set up is the result of a highly complex process that resulted in a superlative and officially certified...

Oh hell..

It's a 26 year old Pioneer SX3400 with a whopping 15w a side (but very clean). My CD player is a POS Sony carosel that went into the shop a month after I bought it, then three months after that and it's never played right.

However, they are hooked to my Paradigm Atom bookshelf speakers that are just beauty, eh!
Paradigm is a great compnay. In fact, all canadian audio manufacturers that I have owned or listen to, I've been happy with.

I've been through 5 different pairs of Paradigm speakers and to this day will say they are one of the best values in audio avaiable.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:31 AM   #27
Atomic

Quote:
Paradigm is a great compnay. In fact, all canadian audio manufacturers that I have owned or listen to, I've been happy with.

I've been through 5 different pairs of Paradigm speakers and to this day will say they are one of the best values in audio avaiable.
Seth, I agree (obviously). I am still thrilled with my Paradigms. An audiophile buddy lent me a test CD for my system and it did surprisingly well with impressive separation as well.

I want to eventually get a Rotel amp and tuner and a better CD player.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:33 AM   #28
s7horton
"TRF" Member

PM me when you are ready, I may be able to help you with that. The dealer around the corner from me carries Rotel, and give generous discounts because of my loyalty to his shop.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:37 AM   #29
Atomic

Quote:
PM me when you are ready, I may be able to help you with that. The dealer around the corner from me carries Rotel, and give generous discounts because of my loyalty to his shop.
Wow, thanks Seth.
Old 26 September 2006, 07:46 AM   #30
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Mine: Office: Bose wave radio. Travel: Bose QuietComfort headset. Home: none yet.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote