The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2024, 12:42 PM   #1
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

SkyD White - your experience with the watch

Hello all,

I currently own a DSSD 126660 and a YM 126622 with the sunburst blue dial. I visited the local AD recently and put my name down for a SkyD white dial on jubilee.

For those who own a SkyD (and those with the white dial), what has your experience been with the watch so far?

How long did you wait?

I am looking at eventually selling the YM, as I feel the watch just looks a tad too small on me.

Thanks all and appreciate your feedback.
Old 15 February 2024, 01:02 PM   #2
rrags
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, SS Daytona
It's a great watch.

Mine came on oyster but I was able to purchase the jubilee later on. Waited about 5-6 months I think but with pretty decent purchase history.

I have small wrists but it actually wears quite nice.

You'll love it.
rrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:04 PM   #3
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

Awesome, appreciate the prompt reply. The AD advised that he will have no problem sourcing this one for me, so hopefully that's promising news.

Would you consider adding another dial colour to the collection, to have alongside your white?
Old 15 February 2024, 01:06 PM   #4
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I have both the YM 40 Blue and Sky in White. Love them both!

The white Sky is incredible and I feel incredibly versatile, you’ll love it!

Side note, I’ve acquired the Blue YM twice. Made the mistake of selling it. I think its aesthetic is incredible with the gradient blue and platinum bezel. Plus, second to none in wear ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 February 2024, 01:11 PM   #5
rrags
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeBoxed View Post
Awesome, appreciate the prompt reply. The AD advised that he will have no problem sourcing this one for me, so hopefully that's promising news.

Would you consider adding another dial colour to the collection, to have alongside your white?
My pleasure.

Not really. At the time, I requested white or black from my AD as I knew the blue would be tough and the mint dial hadn't been announced yet. I got mine about a year ago.

I did see the mint dial at my AD as an exhibition model recently. Thought it was ok but still prefer the white.
rrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:12 PM   #6
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP

Thread needed pics

Old 15 February 2024, 01:14 PM   #7
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

Oh wow, I never thought I would come across somebody with my dilemma.

I was actually forward thinking and plotting to potentially purchase the green or blue dial SkyD next, after the white, or even a BLNR which explains why I was planning on selling the YM.

Maybe getting a little ahead of myself, but always good to have a plan/goal.
Old 15 February 2024, 01:17 PM   #8
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

Awesome combo there my man.
Old 15 February 2024, 01:49 PM   #9
TudorDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
I recently acquired the Rolex Sky-D in white dial on a Jubilee from my AD (3 weeks ago) and it is an awesome watch. It actually replaced the very YM 126622 as my daily watch. I put my name down for this when the waitlist opened last year just after W&W 23 so I would say the wait from around 10 months.

The YM is a great piece and my most worn watch of 2023. I parted with it with a heavy heart. However, to tell you the truth I don't miss it or regret selling it. I had it for 3 years and enjoyed wearing it.

Coming back to the Sky-D, my opinion is that the jubilee is the way to go. Its super comfy on the wrist even though its 42mm and a tad bulky. I love the design aspects of DJ41 so the Sky-D was always going to be a winner for me. Given that I had a BLNR and a Submariner 114060, the YM40 simply became redundant in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sky1.jpg (284.0 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg YM40.jpg (191.3 KB, 896 views)
TudorDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 04:37 PM   #10
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Really liked it on jubilee when I had it.

Would rather have the patek annual calendar though.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 04:54 PM   #11
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
I’ve got a blue one during Covid…only too about 3 months…but them were weird times! Originally on an oyster but got the jubilee a year later which seems to work much better on my 7.25 wrist and imo looks and wears better.

It’s a bit on the big side but I do love it. As mentioned above I would trade it for a Patek AC 5726….If I could get one!
Old 15 February 2024, 09:13 PM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I don't own one but I think the white dial is one of, if not the best looking dial for the SkyD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:26 PM   #13
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
One of my favourites and has been since I bought it 5 years or so ago
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 10:10 PM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's a beautiful watch. The dial never seems to run out of visual interest as it cycles between various shades of white, cream and grey, sometimes flat, somethise shimmery and sometimes going off like a glitter filled snow globe.

It is not a big watch per se although it is on the large size for a Rolex and it is thick and comparatively heavy. I don't have any problems on how it sits. I originally bought it on Oyster but later added a Jubilee which made an already a comfortable watch wear like it's hardly there.

I've always admired the Sky Dweller for its cleverness, which is in large part defined by how simple it is to use and set, despite its complications. How long you will wait is impossible to guess. In 2018 I was told by my AD that a black SS one would be impossible. In 2020 I bought my TT white one on a walk in. In 2022 my AD got me a blue SS one in six months (I was expecting to wait more like six years for that model).

Hope you don't have to wait too long for yours.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 12:52 AM   #15
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

It will depend a little bit on the size of your AD. My AD only received 4 Sky-Dwellers from 2012-2023. It took me a year and a half to get mine on jubilee with the blue dial. I had been talking with my AD since the steel models came out that I wish the watch came on jubilee and we both texted each other when the bracelet became available in 2021. I did see the white dial steel watch back in 2018 and it’s amazing. I’d get that one over the black if blue wasn’t available but blue is my favorite color. I hope your wait isn’t nearly long and the jubilee makes it so comfortable to wear.
Saxonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 01:12 AM   #16
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’ve tried on the blue, mint, and white.

Personally found that the white is somewhat more muted in appearance, which I thought made it more preferable if you were to wear it more often. Which you would because I can’t imagine the PITA of resetting it.

I know it didn’t directly address your inquiry, but thought it might help validate your color choice. Either way, it’s a great watch.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:57 AM   #17
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
I played with a white dial/oyster braclet SkyD last week. It's cool, it's a bit big for me. I think that if I were to go for a SkyD, I'd go for a PM one on OF with a black dial. It's a bit sleeker & looks less busy to my eyes. In any case, the oyster bracelet would be my third choice of bracelets. It felt too chunky in this application.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 04:20 AM   #18
JMP57
"TRF" Member

Got the blue dial on jubilee in January from my AD after 2 year wait.
Beautiful watch. Can not be more pleased.
JMP57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 06:42 AM   #19
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
A little over 2 years wait, received the watch just before new year.
Specifically ordered white/oyster. Was offered the white/jubilee 3 weeks after ordering but declined. Now it comes with an updated caliber and AR coating. Fantastic watch. To me the best dial for this watch because it takes on so many shades of white.

Old 16 February 2024, 08:15 AM   #20
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies. Very detailed responses and the pictures, merely speak a 1000 words.

I have read the different shades of white comment many times before and I think that's what is edging me closer towards the white dial.

I originally purchased an Omega Seamaster white dial to try and scratch the itch of having a white dial in the collection, but it just didn't do it for me. Was fixated on the Exp II polar, however looked a little washed out for my liking.

The skyD though, fell in love when I saw a gentleman wearing the TT variant while on holidays.
Old 16 February 2024, 09:02 AM   #21
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. Very detailed responses and the pictures, merely speak a 1000 words.

I have read the different shades of white comment many times before and I think that's what is edging me closer towards the white dial.

I originally purchased an Omega Seamaster white dial to try and scratch the itch of having a white dial in the collection, but it just didn't do it for me. Was fixated on the Exp II polar, however looked a little washed out for my liking.

The skyD though, fell in love when I saw a gentleman wearing the TT variant while on holidays.

I have or have had every skydweller. White is the best of the steels for me. It stands out. I would also say to you that white appears to look a lot bigger than black. If I switch to black it looks considerably smaller.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #22
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

Definitely ... that's always been the case with the colour white.

So you have multiple skyD's? I always wondered if I should purchase another after/when I receive the white.

As I will be selling my YM, I was leaning towards a BLNR to add blue to my collection. However, thinking about potentially looking at another dial colour (blue/green) for the skyD.

@Jsolution - do you feel like you get bored by not having the variety (i.e. different models/case sizes) in your collection other than different dial colours of the skyD?
Old 16 February 2024, 09:49 AM   #23
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I've tried almost all of the Sky-Dwellers and owned my share. Only versions I have yet to try are the mint green and blue on rose gold. That being said I think the white dial is the tamest of the stainless version and is a beautiful watch. My only complaint is that it's a watch on the bigger size and optically with the white dial feels too big for me.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 11:54 AM   #24
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV

It's really nice and is highly on my radar as I'm looking for a white dial as my next watch.

kentheevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:29 PM   #25
TudorDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Definitely ... that's always been the case with the colour white.

As I will be selling my YM, I was leaning towards a BLNR to add blue to my collection. However, thinking about potentially looking at another dial colour (blue/green) for the skyD.
BLNR is a great piece. I wear it mostly on Friday and weekends. Makes a nice little combo with the Sky-D.

Quote:
I originally purchased an Omega Seamaster white dial to try and scratch the itch of having a white dial in the collection, but it just didn't do it for me.
I fell in to this hole of thinking an Omega, Tudor or Breitling could be an adequate substitute for a Rolex. I have never been more wrong. It just doesn't work. Took a lot of hit when selling all that 'junk'. Now I only have the Speedmaster and Cartier Santos Large. Everything else has a crown logo.
TudorDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:39 PM   #26
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It's a beautiful watch. The dial never seems to run out of visual interest as it cycles between various shades of white, cream and grey, sometimes flat, somethise shimmery and sometimes going off like a glitter filled snow globe.

It is not a big watch per se although it is on the large size for a Rolex and it is thick and comparatively heavy. I don't have any problems on how it sits. I originally bought it on Oyster but later added a Jubilee which made an already a comfortable watch wear like it's hardly there.

I've always admired the Sky Dweller for its cleverness, which is in large part defined by how simple it is to use and set, despite its complications. How long you will wait is impossible to guess. In 2018 I was told by my AD that a black SS one would be impossible. In 2020 I bought my TT white one on a walk in. In 2022 my AD got me a blue SS one in six months (I was expecting to wait more like six years for that model).

Hope you don't have to wait too long for yours.
Thanks for sharing.. just wondering does SkyD’s white dial same as your EXP2’s white dial? Any chance you can share a photo both side by side in different lighting? .. Would really appreciate it. Thank you.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 06:00 PM   #27
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

I currently own the white dial, the blue dial and the mint dial in SS and the black dial on gold…. I like my sky dwellers and the white one is very versatile and pairs with almost anything , go for it
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 06:27 PM   #28
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
I have the blue one, but I strongly think the white is way nicer…..
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 07:29 PM   #29
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
The white is fresh and crisp. However in my opinion the blue dial is the best by a mile. Looks out of this world.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:47 AM   #30
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
Yes I second that.
Blue might be the most sought after but the white is cool because of its different shades.
I had one in white but sold it due to top heaviness.
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote