The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2020, 07:41 AM   #1
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Datejust 31 Dial Recommendation

Hi TRF,

I am purchasing a Datejust 31 for my wife's 50th birthday. It's a surprise, so I can't ask her opinion on the dial. I am trying to decide on a White Mother of Pearl or Pink Mother of Pearl Dial. Here are the two options. Anyone have an opinion on which one is a better ever day watch?

White Dial
https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8384-0004.html

Pink Dial
https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8384-0047.html

Thanks!

Jeff
jarohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:44 AM   #2
wholecz
"TRF" Member

Watch: black
Can I have a third option?

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8rbr-0004.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wholecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:51 AM   #3
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
White dial of those two for everyday use IMO. Looks very nice!

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:22 AM   #4
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Does she have more pink or white in her closet? There’s you’re answer! I appreciate the pink on this one from the options you suggested.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:01 AM   #5
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Mother of Pearl. Looks different in every light, sometimes pink, best of both worlds and a classic. Fantastic gift she will be thrilled!
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:29 AM   #6
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I am leaning toward the pink MOP. If you are a female member, let me know if that is the wrong call.
Old 3 August 2020, 10:54 AM   #7
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Given that the watch choices are both SS, Pink adds a little color to the watch. If it were Gold and Stainless I would go with the White MOP.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:05 AM   #8
lcs77
"TRF" Member

I prefer meteorite dial than mop, but if u like mop go with white dial, very versatile.

Old 3 August 2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
My wife went with the white MOP and did not like the pink MOP as much. She is on a couple of high end jewelry message boards and this has been specifically discussed. The woman on those message board overwhelming like the white MOP Rolex uses better than the pink MOP Rolex uses.
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:43 AM   #10
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I understand the birthday/surprise element, but it’s risky ! Many posts around here of men who thought they picked the perfect watch, take the wife to an AD, and they picked something radically different.

Be forewarned.

IMO, both look outdated.
Old 3 August 2020, 01:47 PM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I would seriously consider Pink MOP with a white gold and Stainless watch.
Definately White MOP with either Yellow or Rose gold and Stainless watch.

These combinations look great and maximize the legibility of the watch. After all, it's there to read the time too
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:48 PM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I understand the birthday/surprise element, but it’s risky ! Many posts around here of men who thought they picked the perfect watch, take the wife to an AD, and they picked something radically different.

Be forewarned.

IMO, both look outdated.
Outdated by what?
Old 3 August 2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybala View Post
My wife went with the white MOP and did not like the pink MOP as much. She is on a couple of high end jewelry message boards and this has been specifically discussed. The woman on those message board overwhelming like the white MOP Rolex uses better than the pink MOP Rolex uses.
Yes, but if the OP's wife has a thing for pink, surely it would trump other people's opinions.
After all Pink MOP is pretty special in it's own right and Rolex only uses the best exhibition grade MOP.
Besides, MOP looks different in many different lights and at different angles with no two pieces alike.
Old 3 August 2020, 02:01 PM   #14
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Outdated by what?
By the 1961 models ....................
Old 3 August 2020, 11:00 PM   #15
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, but if the OP's wife has a thing for pink, surely it would trump other people's opinions.
After all Pink MOP is pretty special in it's own right and Rolex only uses the best exhibition grade MOP.
Besides, MOP looks different in many different lights and at different angles with no two pieces alike.
Yes, if his wife has a thing for pink it might trump other people’s opinions but the OP asked for other people’s opinions, especially women, and that is what I provided.
Old 3 August 2020, 11:13 PM   #16
babsiegirl
"TRF" Member

I’m biased, I really like my jewelry to be rose gold and love pink. Pick whatever you think you wife would like the best. It is risky though. See if your SA would let you bring home one with stickers attached so you could exchange it if need be. I did that and ended up ordering something totally different!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
babsiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:34 PM   #17
jarohr
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll make a decision soon!
Old 4 August 2020, 07:40 AM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, if his wife has a thing for pink it might trump other people’s opinions but the OP asked for other people’s opinions, especially women, and that is what I provided.
Not quite Old Mate.
The OP never asked for women's opinions in particular.
The OP actually asked for anyone's opinion, so that certainly throws it wide open in a way.
To be more specific, the OP asked the opinion of this forum. Not some other forum that may be subject to a group think mentality.
Further to this. The options provided by the OP were both of a White metal based colouring. Though I never addressed this particular aspect specifically, I did take it into consideration when I gave stronger support to the Pink MOP option because of the visual contrast against the White Gold hands which feeds directly into the closing comment by the OP which also mentioned it as being an every day watch.
As an every day watch the contrast between the hands and dial in terms of legibility are surely a prime consideration for a watch regardless of the views expressed on some forum of jewellery enthusiasts.

We shall see in the fullness of time how it pans out anyway
Old 4 August 2020, 09:02 AM   #19
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not quite Old Mate.
The OP never asked for women's opinions in particular.
His second post specifically referred to female opinions and notice I did not say only women’s opinions Old Mate. My wife looked at both dials and found the white MOP dials to be a lot more iridescent and the pink dials she looked at to be more flat and monochromatic so she chose the 36 white MOP even though she loves the color pink. Every MOP dial is different but she saw the same differences in multiple white and pink dials. The jewelry enthusiasts noticed the same thing in their Rolex thread. I am sure the OP is smart enough to consider all the opinions in this thread and make the best decision.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:44 PM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
His second post specifically referred to female opinions and notice I did not say only women’s opinions Old Mate. My wife looked at both dials and found the white MOP dials to be a lot more iridescent and the pink dials she looked at to be more flat and monochromatic so she chose the 36 white MOP even though she loves the color pink. Every MOP dial is different but she saw the same differences in multiple white and pink dials. The jewelry enthusiasts noticed the same thing in their Rolex thread. I am sure the OP is smart enough to consider all the opinions in this thread and make the best decision.
As I said we shall see.
FYI, interestingly i ran it by my wife who wears a White MOP 31mm DJ herself.
It was my wedding gift to her which took me a good number of months to aquire across a few different dealers because I was very discerning as to which particular White MOP dial I chose for her. As you note, they are all so different and most didn't make the cut.
As I always defer to her decisions in these matters, I have to inform you and your lovely wife that the Pink MOP got the big thumbs up from her with all things considered especially with regard to day to day wearability and legibility without any input from myself.
It's a good thing that Rolex makes plenty of choices to cater to varying tastes
Old 4 August 2020, 12:44 PM   #21
rachelsung
"TRF" Member

How about white MOP with TT Rose Gold?

rachelsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:49 PM   #22
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsung View Post
How about white MOP with TT Rose Gold?

That was my Wife's choice as well.
Very nice
My wife considered this as part of the OP's potential options but I said that perhaps his wife's choice was dictated by her skin tone or a strictly White metal bias
Old 5 August 2020, 07:09 AM   #23
Mags01
"TRF" Member

To be honest, I love the black MOP the most, then pink, as I think you cannot read time on the white MOP easily. Good luck with your pressie!
Mags01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:08 AM   #24
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags01 View Post
To be honest, I love the black MOP the most, then pink, as I think you cannot read time on the white MOP easily. Good luck with your pressie!
Readability can indeed be a factor as my wife and I realized when we were looking at something special for her.
Despite it being the preference, White MOP with White Gold hands was inherently problematic so we stepped outside the box and went with Rose gold hands. Yellow gold was not an option.
And so we landed in the same place as rachelsung