The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2020, 10:37 PM   #61
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Submariner gets my vote. Not even a contest. I had both the 2254.50 and 2531.80 and sold them two times. I like plain black divers from both brands but the new SM300 has too much going on. The classic PO is the way to go IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (135.0 KB, 174 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:58 PM   #62
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Submariner gets my vote. Not even a contest. I had both the 2254.50 and 2531.80 and sold them two times. I like plain black divers from both brands but the new SM300 has too much going on. The classic PO is the way to go IMO.
I agree - that is a really nice watch.
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:04 PM   #63
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
submariner for me.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:08 AM   #64
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
I agree - that is a really nice watch.
Thank you.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:22 AM   #65
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
More with omega at third party pricing for certain! At the boutique pricing it’s a little rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you have to go off 20-25% discount pricing, which you can get pretty much anywhere except a boutique.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:24 AM   #66
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I don't like the Omega Seamaster pointless HEV, the wave dial, the see-through back on a tool watch, the bracelet design and more. Bond-charm? I hate that cheap and needy marketing.
Yeah, but lets not act like a Sub is a tool watch. Hasn't been for while. 8k is a lot for a tool watch.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #67
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have both and choose the omega when there is a known risk and I just need something to tell me the time without worrying about smacking it on a rock etc.

Both are great and both get boring after 3-5 days so I'm thankful to have them to rotate with the Daytona.
Old 4 August 2020, 01:24 AM   #68
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu-moose View Post
not even a question. That wave dial is terrible. Sub for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
the omega is almost perfect. Especially for it’s price. I like everything about it except the skeleton hands, wave dial, case, hev, crown guards, bracelet, and date window. Other then that perfect.

You can’t compare the 2 as the submariner is the most iconic sports watch on the planet.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rori View Post
wavy busy dial, busy bracelet, protruding crowns on both sides of the case...
Omega has too much going on for a watch case. Rolex wins for me.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by no subctitute View Post
omega does make a great dive watch....if you like the hideous wave dial, awful skeleton hands, and gimmicky helium valve.

+1
Old 4 August 2020, 01:38 AM   #69
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner 116610LN vs Omega Seamaster Diver 300m

Opinions! Seriously though, some good info here. As a “product”, a modern submariner is of higher quality compared to an older SMP, but the new SMPs are pretty freaking nice, style choices aside...it’s a tough call.

For all-around value retention and all that, clearly a Rolex will win out but once again, they are both fine timepieces and subjectively arguing which is “better” for the better part of 20 yrs is kind of funny but still entertaining.

Where what you dig, and hopefully be content that they’re both something 95% of the worlds population cannot afford. That’s not a knock, I’m saying be thankful and have gratitude at how lucky we are to even have these ridiculous discussions.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:09 AM   #70
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I have this exact set up, a beautiful piece for sure. I have had it for 15 years and love it. I also have a Sub and I do prefer the Sub for value retention.
I just bought the seamaster 300 professional after watching this video on the Timeless Watch Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5TjrCaBjI&t=549s

However, I got the 2231.80 which has titanium case and bracelet - a very beautiful watch that was 25% of the MSRP of a new submariner that I would probably never get at the AD.

Also, as mentioned in the video, the omega is much less common than the submariner.

And, after watching this fine video, I've put Trieste on my places to visit - if and when they ever let Americans back into Italy!
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:56 AM   #71
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Seamaster > Sub. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Except when it comes to the most important attribute of all when it comes to watches.

The Submariner looks a lot better.

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:47 AM   #72
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
The only Omega I would ever buy is the Speedy
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:56 AM   #73
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

This thing runs better than most Rolex I’ve owned.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:57 AM   #74
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I prefer the clean sharp lines of the Rolex
Old 4 August 2020, 04:02 AM   #75
Strad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
You’re asking a bunch of Rolex fanboys, so expect them to answer accordingly every single time. Sub is obviously more iconic, and pretty vanilla comparatively speaking. The Omega is a fantastic watch but I personally don’t go for that aesthetic, it’s too curvy and I’m not a fan of that bracelet. Both movements are stellar, but co-axial while an incredible piece of engineering is complex - I’d prefer the Rolex in terms of serviceability and knowledge ubiquity.

Here’s mine, the 2254.50 ref aka “Peter Blake” SMP300 - a completely different aesthetic than the new ones as it is more of a tool and I love it. The movement is a modified ETA 2892-2 so it can easily be worked on by any competent watchmaker. I have it on a nato here, but this model came with a Speedmaster bracelet which isn’t so curvy and rounded. The wave pattern is subtle and only shows in direct light, the dial otherwise appears matte, it’s pretty sweet:

I have this model. I love it! I love my Rolex Submariners' also.
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:07 AM   #76
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
We say the SMP and the omega coaxials are better. Are they actually guaranteed to a range of 4spd? No. They have superior magnetic resistance.

What do they actually do on a daily basis over several weeks? My sub is just a smidge under a second fast per day over 3 weeks solid wear.

Their beat rate is a quirky 3.5 I believe so it’s like an epileptic on a dance floor at an Ibiza rave. The classic 31xx is like a ballroom dancer.

The SMP bezel is not ingrained with platinum it’s enamel.

The hands on the SMP are less readable. The power reserve is comparable.

The oyster is way better than the SMP bracelet and aftermarket rubber aren’t that much worse on subs.

Clasp Ok I’ll concede - SMP.

The guarantee isn’t superior. It’s a good watch for sure and dollar for dollar yeah ok.

The design isn’t consistent over 25 years let alone well over half a century.

It’s a good watch but does anyone honestly dream of a SMP as their ultimate grail? Sub had millions worldwide lusting after it.

I’d like to own a new SMP but there’s no way I’d let my sub go for the privilege even with the difference of several thousand £ in the bank and that tells me all I need to know.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:13 AM   #77
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post

This thing runs better than most Rolex I’ve owned.

Ha! Me too.
Old 4 August 2020, 04:25 AM   #78
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
It’s a good watch but does anyone honestly dream of a SMP as their ultimate grail?
Absolutely, many many ppl in fact. Head over to Watchuseek and ask. As many as ppl who aspire to own a Rolex Submariner? Not even close, for lots of obvious reasons. I bought a Sub when I started my career as a traveling consultant and could afford one, but sold it after about a year as I would see them nearly every single time I flew.

Amazing watch because it’s just a beautiful and functional piece? Yes - and everyone knows it thanks to marketing and general trust from the public for 70 yrs. That’s nothing to scoff at.

For me though, far too ubiquitous and lends no credit to someone’s creativity or originality. So I sold it. My SMP does everything the Sub did, which is tell the time and date lol, but I’ve had more interesting conversations about the Omega than the Rolex in the last couple years.

My other watch, a modern Explorer, fits the same bill. Don’t see them that often in public, but other enthusiasts are psyched to see them.

I’m just rambling now - to each their own, but I’d argue that many Submariner owners are not “to each their own” as it’s kind of non-original at this point.
Old 4 August 2020, 04:27 AM   #79
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quite like some of the Omega models, but for some reason the bracelets always look cheap and fussy.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:28 AM   #80
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It’s amazing that the omega won out here in the original article.

IMHO there is no comparison here. The omega is ugly (my opinion) and has a vastly inferior bracelet / clasp.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:48 AM   #81
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
It’s amazing that the omega won out here in the original article.

IMHO there is no comparison here. The omega is ugly (my opinion) and has a vastly inferior bracelet / clasp.

I agree. I feel bad agreeing because many people like them, but man I just can’t see it.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 05:33 AM   #82
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Absolutely, many many ppl in fact. Head over to Watchuseek and ask. As many as ppl who aspire to own a Rolex Submariner? Not even close, for lots of obvious reasons. I bought a Sub when I started my career as a traveling consultant and could afford one, but sold it after about a year as I would see them nearly every single time I flew.

Amazing watch because it’s just a beautiful and functional piece? Yes - and everyone knows it thanks to marketing and general trust from the public for 70 yrs. That’s nothing to scoff at.

For me though, far too ubiquitous and lends no credit to someone’s creativity or originality. So I sold it. My SMP does everything the Sub did, which is tell the time and date lol, but I’ve had more interesting conversations about the Omega than the Rolex in the last couple years.

My other watch, a modern Explorer, fits the same bill. Don’t see them that often in public, but other enthusiasts are psyched to see them.

I’m just rambling now - to each their own, but I’d argue that many Submariner owners are not “to each their own” as it’s kind of non-original at this point.

I don’t understand these “subs are everywhere posts”. In the uk I know literally two other men who own a sub. On holiday this last three weeks I’ve seen no more than half a dozen Rolex total. No more than three divers. In three weeks. All over Europe. Admittedly no seamasters whatsoever but I stand by my comment: a sub is the grail for some the SMP for hardly any. It’s nice but not iconic.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 06:07 AM   #83
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
I don’t understand these “subs are everywhere posts”. In the uk I know literally two other men who own a sub. On holiday this last three weeks I’ve seen no more than half a dozen Rolex total. No more than three divers. In three weeks. All over Europe. Admittedly no seamasters whatsoever but I stand by my comment: a sub is the grail for some the SMP for hardly any. It’s nice but not iconic.

Everywhere? No of course not, people on this forum love to say that - but I’m not making it up when I say I’ve seen dozens of them in my time traveling, more so than any other high end watch (except a Datejust, there are even more of those) - almost always in airports or on planes. I’ve seen them 6 or 7 times in the last couple years here in Denver CO too.

I’m glad you stand by your comment lol, but that’s only your experience and I’m not one to say otherwise. Go to New York and you’ll spot them all over the place on the subway, it just depends on where you are.

Go over to another forum like Watchuseek and ask if the SMP is a grail, you will get yes answers. Open your perspective a little bit, Rolex makes a good watch but it’s not the end all be all you think it is.

Like I said in my original reply, Rolex fanboys will answer accordingly EVERY single time.
Old 4 August 2020, 07:55 AM   #84
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
Yeah, but lets not act like a Sub is a tool watch. Hasn't been for while. 8k is a lot for a tool watch.
Surely not. Planet Ocean 8500-series (42mm) is actually a good tool watch for under $4K minty used. Still, I use my old Sub 16610, SD 16600 or SD 116600 for that slot.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 08:02 AM   #85
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I started a Subkillah movement in FB after buying one SMP300M upon release.

I sold the omega 1.5 years later. The bracelet is awful and the waves got annoying once the excitement wore off...
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:30 AM   #86
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
I started a Subkillah movement in FB after buying one SMP300M upon release.

I sold the omega 1.5 years later. The bracelet is awful and the waves got annoying once the excitement wore off...
Ha I did the same thing with my sub. Sold after a year because I wore it too much. Actually, it would be best to own both. You can get tired of either one if worn too much.
Old 4 August 2020, 09:42 AM   #87
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2

The only Omega diver to own is this one:

The legendary 2500 series PO. Similar to the 5 digit Submariner, it’s almost perfect.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:51 AM   #88
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I've owned many subs and many SMPs. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the omegas. I've enjoyed each and every one of them.

Sadly, they are all gone. And my subs are all still with me. I think part of it is because I bought all my subs new and all my omegas pre-owned. It is just harder for me to sell something when I am the original owner.

But I will say I do miss those omegas.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:05 AM   #89
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
The only Omega diver to own is this one:

The legendary 2500 series PO. Similar to the 5 digit Submariner, it’s almost perfect.
Second that! If you go Omega go PO. But I haven't owned much else so a wee bit biased.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:16 AM   #90
Freshly206
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ceramic Submariner
Couple pics of my SubC from my rainforest hike today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Freshly206 is offline   Reply With Quote