The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2020, 02:25 PM   #1
m0butt
"TRF" Member

How hard is it to get CHNR?

Seeing as everyone is telling me it’ll be impossible to get a BLNR from AD in NYC, and seeing as I have no purchase history, was wondering if it’s more possible to get a root beer or is it just the same?
I honestly think I like the CHNR better than the Batman
m0butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:38 PM   #2
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Did you try asking your AD? I wouldn’t necessarily assume the forum collective knows what’s available in your specific area. I’d head into the retailer and find out what they say firsthand. Good luck!
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:44 PM   #3
ndls
"TRF" Member

Premium for CHNR is going up, and it's only "slightly" easier to get. I think you'd have a better shot with CHNR, and I like it more than my BLNR. I might be biased lol.
ndls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

TT CHNR is available with some work and inquiries. Not that difficult to spruce. Be diligent.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:49 PM   #5
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I think it depends on the location and the AD. I would think that most first time buyers are looking at the BLNR or the BLRO. Most who are going for the CHNR are probably collectors with one or two in their collection.

I would go and visit some ADs, strike up a friendly conversation first, and then ask what the wait time would be. Give them your information and see what happens. I think you will get one sooner than you think. Best of luck and I hope to see an incoming soon!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:56 PM   #6
ScarletFire
"TRF" Member

Also NYC, I’ve been on wait list since May. All ADs assured me it “wouldn’t be long” and to “be ready” but it hasn’t really panned out yet.

It will happen but, it could be another couple months. BLRO and BLNR I think are probably not really realistically possible right now unfortunately. ADs are getting 25% less of what was an already constrained supply there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 03:23 PM   #7
vh2k
"TRF" Member

It’s an expensive watch. I’m surprised it’s in such demand. $16,100 with NYC tax.

Hypothetical question: If you got the call that your CHNR is being delivered in the next few weeks BUT Rolex announces an updated CHNR on JUBILEE on 09/01... do you still plunk down $16K for the CHNR on Oyster?
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 03:42 PM   #8
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
If oyster CHNR is discontinued then yes absolutely more reason to follow through with it. It would be like the case with the oyster Batman, hypothetically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
It’s an expensive watch. I’m surprised it’s in such demand. $16,100 with NYC tax.

Hypothetical question: If you got the call that your CHNR is being delivered in the next few weeks BUT Rolex announces an updated CHNR on JUBILEE on 09/01... do you still plunk down $16K for the CHNR on Oyster?
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:19 PM   #9
Efferalgan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO, 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighs View Post
If oyster CHNR is discontinued then yes absolutely more reason to follow through with it. It would be like the case with the oyster Batman, hypothetically speaking.
Not the same. The Batgirl got the 70h power reserve which is a big thing to me. Just change of the bracelet would make the current version the absolute favorite over the jubilee one. Unless they also introduce the brown dial...
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:20 PM   #10
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post

For me yes. GMT looks better on oyster, although jubilee on the Pepsi is ok.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My AD experience is UK. It's harder over here.

I slid onto the TT CHNR list easily in May 2019, was told to expect it in 2022, and got it in February 2020. That makes it a comparatively "easy" score. I think it will be easier in the US.

It really does look good. Visually clever and very classy. The RG has a depth which looks good on my skin. I will get a BLRO at some point. I think they will make a superb pairing. I don't have a Jubilee bracelet so that's something to look forward to. As far as the TT CHNR goes, I think it looks balanced and somehow right on its TT Oyster.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:23 PM   #12
Podmornica
Banned

In EU, up to a year max for an CHNR. Also, quote of a 5 year waiting time for an BLNR is a BS. Nobody is waiting that long in reality. Either you get it within the 2 years or never. They start calling much earlier unless you have a 0 purchase history or are a downright flipper asking for all the popular SS models at once.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:43 PM   #13
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Last Summer I waited less than a month to get my CHNR. No idea what the current wait it. It is all about timing.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:58 PM   #14
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
CHNR > BLRO/BLNR.

Go for it.
Old 3 August 2020, 09:00 PM   #15
m0butt
"TRF" Member

How would it look if I were to switch from BLNR “list” to CHNR “list” though?
Old 3 August 2020, 09:16 PM   #16
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
How would it look if I were to switch from BLNR “list” to CHNR “list” though?

AD’s love it when you put your name down for a more expensive watch.
Old 3 August 2020, 09:23 PM   #17
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
It’ll be easier to get the CHNR hands down. But the way I read your original post it reads like “I can’t get my first choice so let me try to get my second choice which I think I like”...I would just be patient on the BLNR. If you get the CHNR and don’t like it you certainly will not break even on the flip and will lose money. So I’d make sure you’re 100% sold on it
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 09:36 PM   #18
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
It’ll be easier to get the CHNR hands down. But the way I read your original post it reads like “I can’t get my first choice so let me try to get my second choice which I think I like”...I would just be patient on the BLNR. If you get the CHNR and don’t like it you certainly will not break even on the flip and will lose money. So I’d make sure you’re 100% sold on it
You will definitely break even on the flip IMO (at least here in the UK). Agree that you should be patient and get what you really want though.
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 10:02 PM   #19
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Go on the list for both TT Chnr, and Batgirl. If you get the call for the Chnr Rootbeer first go for it as it's the best GMT in the current lineup in my opinion. You will have purchase history with your AD, and when you get the call for the Batgirl you will have two very nice GMTs. Both holding their value and with a different look for each. SS, jubilee, black, blue vs TT, RG, oyster, black, brown.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:16 PM   #20
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
TT CHNR is available with some work and inquiries. Not that difficult to spruce. Be diligent.
+1 i've passed on CHNRs in the past with AD's that i've never had history with before. But then again this was pre-covid..
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:02 AM   #21
m0butt
"TRF" Member

To those saying I should get what I want, that’s why I decided to get CHNR. Although it’s more than what I wanted to spend I truly truly love that watch and feel I will cherish it for years.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:35 AM   #22
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

How hard is it to get CHNR?

For the CHNR price plus tax you’re pretty close to BLNR grey price, so it really comes down to which one do you want to have.

I was on the list for a BLRO when I happened upon a TT CHNR in the AD case. It just so happened they had the Pepsi pre-owned as well and I got to see the two watches next to each other up close. The Root Beer beat the Pepsi for me that day and I haven’t looked back. Even if I got offered a Pepsi now, I’d get it and throw the TT CHNR in and trade up to the full RG CHNR.

But the CHNR will be much easier to source among the desirable watches.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #23
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

The watch gods were definitely looking out for me when I came across this one on display in the AD case.

Old 4 August 2020, 12:42 AM   #24
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To those saying I should get what I want, that’s why I decided to get CHNR. Although it’s more than what I wanted to spend I truly truly love that watch and feel I will cherish it for years.
Grab it it’s amazing

FEC34531-E70D-4149-95BB-DA5A1E82CDBF.jpeg
Old 4 August 2020, 12:43 AM   #25
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
Did you try asking your AD? I wouldn’t necessarily assume the forum collective knows what’s available in your specific area. I’d head into the retailer and find out what they say firsthand. Good luck!
This!!!
Old 4 August 2020, 12:48 AM   #26
m0butt
"TRF" Member

I feel like because of the tones it can be dressed up or down. Keep the pics coming, I’m salivating over here.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:52 AM   #27
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
For the CHNR price plus tax you’re pretty close to BLNR grey price, so it really comes down to which one do you want to have.

I was on the list for a BLRO when I happened upon a TT CHNR in the AD case. It just so happened they had the Pepsi pre-owned as well and I got to see the two watches next to each other up close. The Root Beer beat the Pepsi for me that day and I haven’t looked back. Even if I got offered a Pepsi now, I’d get it and throw the TT CHNR in and trade up to the full RG CHNR.

But the CHNR will be much easier to source among the desirable watches.

I am curious, you said the AD had a used Pepsi there, do you remember what they wanted for it? My AD told me that they can't sell used watches above retail price, is that true? When I bought my bluesy there new, they had a 2 year old one there that they were asking retail price for which was 13400 last year. When I went there to get my DJ41, they had a 1 year old Bluesy there which they were selling for 14100, which is the current retail.

OP,

I have been on the list since early June. When I bought my DJ41 in May, my SA had a TT Rootbeer on her arm and it right away caught my eye and I told her to try to get one for me. It's August now, and she tells me the next one coming in has my name on it. This is a smaller AD in a smaller town, I think your chances are best with these types of AD's compared to the bigger ones in metro areas since there seems to be less money in those areas and thus less demand. I am still waiting patiently.....hope we both get ours soon!
Old 4 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #28
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel like because of the tones it can be dressed up or down. Keep the pics coming, I’m salivating over here.
It can. Before I got mine I was concerned it wouldn't go with certain clothes and looks etc... However, it goes with practically anything. Casual, smart. Whatever you like.
Old 4 August 2020, 01:26 AM   #29
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I have not even see one in person
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:49 AM   #30
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post
I am curious, you said the AD had a used Pepsi there, do you remember what they wanted for it? My AD told me that they can't sell used watches above retail price, is that true? When I bought my bluesy there new, they had a 2 year old one there that they were asking retail price for which was 13400 last year. When I went there to get my DJ41, they had a 1 year old Bluesy there which they were selling for 14100, which is the current retail.

OP,

I have been on the list since early June. When I bought my DJ41 in May, my SA had a TT Rootbeer on her arm and it right away caught my eye and I told her to try to get one for me. It's August now, and she tells me the next one coming in has my name on it. This is a smaller AD in a smaller town, I think your chances are best with these types of AD's compared to the bigger ones in metro areas since there seems to be less money in those areas and thus less demand. I am still waiting patiently.....hope we both get ours soon!

They were asking $17.5 for the Pepsi. All of their pre-owned stuff goes for near the prevailing market price. So whatever rule your AD is sticking too doesn’t seem to apply broadly. Seems weird that they would price themselves out those bigger margins on the hot pieces.