The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 August 2020, 12:18 PM   #1
Odanrot
"TRF" Member

Sky Dweller Experience

Thought I'd share my Sky Dweller journey.

Two weeks ago, I stopped into a local authorized dealer. Have never bought anything from them, don't know anyone there. Friend and I just decided at lunch to drop by there and the Omega boutique (almost next door) to see what was available and, honestly, to just break up the pandemic boredom a little bit.

At the AD, upon entry we are asked to have our temperature taken, hands sanitized, and our names and phone number logged. I appreciated that.

As I was looking at the lack of watches (hadn't expected much really), the salesperson asked me what I would be looking for. I stated the white steel Sky Dweller or the steel Daytona in white. I mentioned that I knew there wouldn't be any, but just wanted to stop by. There wasn't anyone else in the store at the time.

After just about 5-10 minutes with some small talk, I left to go to the Omega Boutique.

Three days later, on Saturday, I received a call from the AD. They had a new Sky Dweller in steel available. Was I interested? I said of course I was! Told them I'd be by on Monday at noon.

On Monday at noon, I spent about 30 minutes at the AD. Loved the steel Sky Dweller and I really wanted the white dial. It fit perfectly with no bracelet adjustment.

After 30 minutes, I just couldn't pull the trigger. For me, $14,800 is a lot of money and I won't go into debt for a watch. I politely asked them if I could consider it for another 24 hours. They had no problem with that at all. They suggested a take a picture of it on my wrist so I wouldn't forget!

The next day I called and declined the watch. Just couldn't spend the money. This was Tuesday.

As the week progressed, I couldn't get the watch out of my head...anyone else know that feeling? I read every review I could, watch every YouTube video of any quality on it. Just a ridiculous level of focus (some might say obsessing?). On Friday morning, I called and asked if it was still available. Unbelievably, it was! Drove over, bought it, and have no regrets!

Love the way the white changes in the light. Most pictures on the internet just don't do it real justice. The white can go from a flat white, to a creamy white, to a silver white in a lot of sun. I like that the GMT subdial is a slightly different shade. It wears heavy at first (compared to Sub) but I have gotten used to it quite quickly.

Love the bracelet and the clasp is very different than my sub.

Will utilize the GMT dial for several things. For when I travel, for when anyone in my family is traveling, and also to set to GMT for when I'm utilizing my amateur radio license.

I love the thought of this movement working behind the scenes in that oyster case. The month marker is just an elegant utilization of marking the month that I've never seen before.

I've not seen one of these in the wild. I'm sure there are plenty out there, but it's nice to have something, for now, that is not as common.

It fits well with a suit, with blue jeans, and even with shorts (as most steel watches do).

My last Rolex I bought in 1997. It is a 16610 Submariner. Love that watch and still have it and always will. I like that this Sky Dweller is larger, has a different color lume, has a white dial, and has complications I'll use. As you can tell, it had been a while since I purchased a Rolex. Figured it was time.
Odanrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:42 PM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Welcome and congrats.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:42 PM   #3
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

Great story on how acquired this great piece, all we need now is some nice pictures and maybe some wrist shots once you are able to post them.

I am the same way as you, once I pick the watch I want to get, I obsess over it, watch all the YouTube videos on it, etc....then I wait until one becomes available and pounce on it as soon as it does. I bought 2 Rolex watches in the last year, and am now more or less patiently waiting for my 3rd one, a 126711 CHNR Rootbeer.

Congrats again and enjoy your new toy, it's a wonderful jack of all trades!
Old 3 August 2020, 12:44 PM   #4
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Congrats, enjoy! White sky D was my backup in case I couldn’t find a white gold one. The white is so classy.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 12:50 PM   #5
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Great story, pick up, and above all LUCK to get one at an AD. My AD couldn’t promise me one in 2 years and I’ve spent a ton there.

My black Sky D hasn’t came off my wrist. Well long enough to take a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C4AF6513-4060-4ED5-8D34-E2D6134B6182.jpeg (83.3 KB, 1298 views)
Old 3 August 2020, 01:07 PM   #6
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
The SkyD is a beautiful watch. Thanks for sharing your acquisition story and welcome to the forums.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:10 PM   #7
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
The Skydweller is one of my favorite watches.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:15 PM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Congratulations on a great pickup.

And it’s comforting to know that if your financial situation gets tough you can sell this and not lose money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Great get...

The skydweller is a very clever thought out watch.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 01:52 PM   #10
JodyHighroller
Banned

You did right by going with the white dial. I think it’s incredibly underrated and very refreshing to look at!

The white dial SkyD is my favorite in my collection.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:05 PM   #11
just1time
"TRF" Member

Congrats...The Blue sky dweller is highly sought after but i LOVE the white. Goes with everything. I would take one if i could get it and have it on a leather strap.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:14 PM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Great reference ..black,blue or white .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:27 PM   #13
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Have had mine almost a week. The White is amazing. Congrats on the watch. Glad you pulled the trigger, you’d probably be kicking yourself on missing the opportunity.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:42 PM   #14
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Tried the white TT yesterday, and as I thought, the SkyD is too big for me. It really didn’t look like in the pictures though.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 02:55 PM   #15
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Great acquisition story! Sounds like you know now this is the one. I have been in the same shoes as you with the obsession - looking at every YouTube review known to man, searching images on Instagram, checking reviews here, and even dreaming about it.

I hope you have many years and many great memories with it. Congrats, welcome to the forums, and wear it in the best of health!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 03:09 PM   #16
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Congrats and indeed lucky you !
I keep reading at all the amazing stories of getting in a random AD and leaving with a SkyD, a sub or a GMT, you guys are so lucky. This had me dreaming for a instant haha
Lamontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Congrats, the SkyDweller is a must have watch from Rolex in my opinion for anyone who can afford it.
The movement conception is a work of art. A movement that complex yet using only one crown is a hat amazes me.
This watch is on my wishing list.
One day :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 August 2020, 04:13 PM   #18
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
It was meant to be, congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:34 PM   #19
Exclusive
"TRF" Member

Currently rocking the Skydweller 326933, absolutely love the white dial too. Nice find!
Exclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:50 PM   #20
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Yeah I totally agree with how this dial changes in different lighting. Pictures doesn't do the dial justice at all.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:07 PM   #21
Maximus84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp. II 16570
Excellent work! This thread needs pic though! :-)
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:12 PM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odanrot View Post
As the week progressed, I couldn't get the watch out of my head...anyone else know that feeling?
Yes. Except in the UK, most of us non VIP mere mortals get windows of minutes or hours - if we get one at all. A week, even a short week, would be a wonderful luxury, particularly for something like a SS Sky Dweller.

Congratulations. Fantastic watch and a really nice AD story with a happy ending - for a change.

Mine say hi.

Let's meet yours.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:21 PM   #23
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Congrats enjoy in good health, I was always after a SS sub but got offered a TT white face SkyDweller, went to try on loved the watch but a bit pricey for me but opened me up to a more dressy watch so went half way and got a Bluesy they also had in stock.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:23 PM   #24
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Yes. Except in the UK, most of us non VIP mere mortals get windows of minutes or hours - if we get one at all. A week, even a short week, would be a wonderful luxury, particularly for something like a SS Sky Dweller.

Congratulations. Fantastic watch and a really nice AD story with a happy ending - for a change.

Mine say hi.

Loving that white face.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:25 PM   #25
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mine say hi.

Let's meet yours.
Are these recent photo? Wondering why the month is set to jan and june instead of august?
Old 3 August 2020, 06:26 PM   #26
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
congrats, best watch rolex make in my opininon. i dont really wear over 40mm but as you said it doesnt actualoy feel that big.

and youre very lucky to get one just walking in! i have bought my 3 all grey, the white is my favourite ive had it a year and it still excites me to wear it.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:41 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
Are these recent photo? Wondering why the month is set to jan and june instead of august?
Both are photos taken on or just after purchase. I got the SS in January and the TT one in July. It shows June because I was so excited and trembling with joy that I walked into my AD and got it on spec, I forgot what the month was!

I took a Z-Blue in for repair. I was offered a BLNR or the TT Sky Dweller. That's a visit I won't soon be forgetting! And it only goes to show that sometimes the right place at the right time principle can still apply.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:43 PM   #28
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
isn't that obvious lol..
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:07 PM   #29
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both are photos taken on or just after purchase. I got the SS in January and the TT one in July. It shows June because I was so excited and trembling with joy that I walked into my AD and got it on spec, I forgot what the month was!

I took a Z-Blue in for repair. I was offered a BLNR or the TT Sky Dweller. That's a visit I won't soon be forgetting! And it only goes to show that sometimes the right place at the right time principle can still apply.
i was wondering if you were using the hour numerals calendar for different purpose that i haven't though of yet

Great repair visit indeed, i agree with you that some things are meant to happen when you are at the right place at the right moment
Enjoy your beauties.
Old 3 August 2020, 07:12 PM   #30
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
isn't that obvious lol..
There could be plenty of reasons and you can see my reply above. But thanks for your obvious comment