The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2019, 11:44 PM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
A perspective on the metals and their purpose

After owning quite a few Pateks and other brands in all metals, here is what my basic conclusion is for myself (someone personal):

1) Love the weight and elegance of precious metal....on a strap. Full bracelet watches are nice but you're going to get them scuffed up pretty bad.

2) Platinum is nice but again full bracelet not for me. Prefer steel.

3) Vintage yellow gold is awesome, newer yellow gold is too flashy unless on a strap. Maybe 14k vintage Daytonas are the way to go? :)

4) Rose gold is nice for two tone especially Rolex everrose. CHNR FTW. Very beautiful but can be discreet.

5) Thought I loved tantalum (nice weight nice hardness!) and then I dinged my FPJ Chronometre bleu. Good luck refinishing.

6) Steel is great for bracelet watches...too light for straps unless a thick chunky case. Feels like a feather weight if you have an ultra thin JLC or Hermes Slim. Jury still out for me on the 5167a, the 5164's heft makes it a bit less featherweighty on rubber.

7) Titanium is also pretty cool for bracelets (like the snowflake), a big no no for strap watches unless you have a heavy duty thick leather strap.

8) If you like the "barely there" feeling. Wear a tampon (I kid I kid).

What do you guys think?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:01 AM   #2
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
Op this is a cool thread you've started.

Point number 5, I'm on the list for FPJ ChronoBlue, what do you mean good luck refinishing?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:32 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

My favorite metal is platinum. Love the heft and brightness of the metal. Only issue is if the watch is on a strap then sometimes can get top heavy like the Datograph. My 5170p is perfect combination of heft and comfort due to the slim case.

Steel is most versatile. White gold is nice but my least favorite. Looking to try RG soon.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
What I am told is Tantalum is so hard to work with you have to send it back to Journe to refinish and it will cost an arm and a leg. I ended up selling the watch with the slight ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911NBK View Post
Op this is a cool thread you've started.

Point number 5, I'm on the list for FPJ ChronoBlue, what do you mean good luck refinishing?

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #5
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
What I am told is Tantalum is so hard to work with you have to send it back to Journe to refinish and it will cost an arm and a leg. I ended up selling the watch with the slight ding.
Wow. What's an arm and a leg if you don't mind me asking?

911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 06:58 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For Patek watches, WG is probably the most popular metal right now, outside the Aquanaut/Nautilus SS watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 07:11 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

4) Rose gold is nice for two tone especially Rolex everrose. CHNR FTW. Very beautiful but can be discreet.
Favorite TT RG watch EVER: PP 5111PR. Something about it was always so unique and beautiful in a way I feel most other watches couldn't pull off.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote