The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

5205G WG Blue Dial

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen the 5205G Blue Dial yet?

I would have thought from last year's Basel that it would be a very popular and coveted piece, but haven't heard much from the forum from new owners or would be owners.

No love for this new iteration, or perhaps no love yet?
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 08:30 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleplay View Post
Hi Guys,

I would have thought from last year's Basel that it would be a very popular and coveted piece, but haven't heard much from the forum from new owners or would be owners.

Would be popular but it's got that funny shape... think it is called round.

But seriously the 5205 was popular when launched but interest has tailed off of late, not many incomings here as per the sports craze, but the blue dial does look good so I'm sure that will pick up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It is a gorgeous watch. The gradient blue is so captivating that I realize I spend more time looking at the dial than the time. Sometimes it is more blue, sometimes navy, sometimes black..

5205.jpg

The pierced lugs are a work of art, as well as the slightly concave bezel that reflects light beautifully from angles. Patek has done an excellent job on the case and lugs for this reference.

side.jpg

It is a lovely combination of blue dial and white metal. It is now a firm favorite of mine among others in my collection.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 03:38 AM   #4
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have it and I can't find the time to pull it out. Unfortunately this one hasn't stuck with me as I believed it would have. Seeing from the pictures it's got a nice sunburst blue. Most of the time it's dark, which I believe has put me off of it. The blue sold me and I wanted it, got it, and only under artificial light or good natural light will it pop.

It's a no thanks from me, but I'll keep it. When it discontinues I'll offload it at that point, hoping I can break-even or make a little coin.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I have it and I can't find the time to pull it out. Unfortunately this one hasn't stuck with me as I believed it would have. Seeing from the pictures it's got a nice sunburst blue. Most of the time it's dark, which I believe has put me off of it. The blue sold me and I wanted it, got it, and only under artificial light or good natural light will it pop.

It's a no thanks from me, but I'll keep it. When it discontinues I'll offload it at that point, hoping I can break-even or make a little coin.
Thanks for your honest assessment as an owner of this reference. I will go and see it for myself and decide if it speaks to me.
Old 17 May 2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

On another note, what if I were to compare this 5205G-0013 to a 5960/1A-001. The retail price of the 5205G-0013 is similar to the open market price of the discontinued 5960/1A-001. Bracelet aside (let's disregard the bracelet for arguments sake), the 5960 seems like a better value proposition being more complicated and made of stainless steel. Any thoughts?
Old 17 May 2019, 04:20 PM   #7
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
On another note, what if I were to compare this 5205G-0013 to a 5960/1A-001. The retail price of the 5205G-0013 is similar to the open market price of the discontinued 5960/1A-001. Bracelet aside (let's disregard the bracelet for arguments sake), the 5960 seems like a better value proposition being more complicated and made of stainless steel. Any thoughts?
I happen to own a 5960G too (on the brown strap) and I actually happen to like that one. If I could have chosen a bracelet for it I would have, so that's a yes from me.

If you were to choose a 5960 or 5205, I'd pick the 5960.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I happen to own a 5960G too (on the brown strap) and I actually happen to like that one. If I could have chosen a bracelet for it I would have, so that's a yes from me.

If you were to choose a 5960 or 5205, I'd pick the 5960.
Just curious but what's the basis of you preferring the 5960 to 5205? Does the 5960's dial "pops" more relative to the 5205 (in reference to your earlier post)?

Would you mind showing OP side-by-side your 5205G vs the 5960 under similar lighting? I'm asking because the 5205 has sunburst gradient blue-black hue, while the 5960 is more of a uniform matt surface (could it possibly be more "pop"py that way?).
Old 17 May 2019, 05:28 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

The 5960/1A-001 with its chrono and power reserve complications ticks a lot of my boxes whereas the 5205 w its pierced lugs and prominent 24h ring does not do much for me. But whenever I tried to fall in love the 5960 didn't sing to me either (bracelet aside which I find too shiny). I am not exactly sure why but I find the white dial quite busy w its stark contrasts and also somehow lacking harmony (despite its symmetry).

I am also not particularly fond of the AC layout w three separate windows. If I had to make the choice I would pick the 5960/1A-001 over the 5205 but wouldn't spend Patek money on it. I just like other chronos so much better in terms of design, e.g. the IWC 3706 on bracelet (not comparing apples to apples of course) or the 5968, and I prob don't appreciate the AC complication enough.

AFAIK the 5960/1A-001 didn't get a lot of love while it was produced. Some would say it was under-appreciated while others think it was over-produced. Time will tell if it will get more love now that it has been discontinued.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 09:50 PM   #10
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I think the 5205R black dial remains the best variant.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:46 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like this one and think it’s the best AC to my eye. But it hasn’t moved me enough to pull the trigger. I can say that it fits a 6.5 wrist amazingly
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:15 AM   #12
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

5205G WG Blue Dial

Quote:

So I went to get a first hand experience of the 5205G on wrist today.

Aesthetically, the watch is very pleasing except that the matte dial bothered me. I get what you mean now. It’s almost as though PP purposefully played down the dial to make it more sporty, or maybe less reflective.

I wonder if the 5170P blue dial is also matte?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So I went to get a first hand experience of the 5205G on wrist today.

Aesthetically, the watch is very pleasing except that the matte dial bothered me. I get what you mean now. It’s almost as though PP purposefully played down the dial to make it more sporty, or maybe less reflective.

I wonder if the 5170P blue dial is also matte?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you confused between matt vs sunburst gradient?
Old 18 May 2019, 01:44 AM   #14
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Are you confused between matt vs sunburst gradient?
Not confused at all. It is sunburst gradient, but matte and non reflective. Which is unusual as most sunburst I've seen is gloss. To be frank, if it were gloss, I would have bought it on the spot, but I held back.
Old 18 May 2019, 03:25 AM   #15
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
The 5205G-013 is not a glitzy watch with a glossy sunburst. It is not meant to be either. It is a perfect Patek - understated in white gold with the matt dial, but interesting because of the sunburst. The 5205 apertures are the clearest form of AC complication, and perfect for the art-deco aesthetic - even with the clean white seconds hand. It is a beautiful watch, but certainly not one that screams at you. It is the modern elegant, for those who eschew yellow gold in favour of white gold, but also want the sophistication of the AC and sculptured case and lugs.

It is a great match for a more sporting in-your-face watch as a Nautilus or Rolex imho. Mine says hello.

ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 04:42 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This was my exact assessment when I had the opportunity to handle one. Wanted to like it but the blue is very dark and more times than not, looks black.
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not confused at all. It is sunburst gradient, but matte and non reflective. Which is unusual as most sunburst I've seen is gloss. To be frank, if it were gloss, I would have bought it on the spot, but I held back.
I do not understand what is the "matte but sunburst gradient" you saw.

A matt surface is a non-reflective one seen on the 5960 blue, or the 5524 blue. They are not meant to be reflective but give a uniformed textured look to the eyes. Not saying it is better or worse, just different from sunburst.

A sunburst on the other hand is reflective. The sunburst gradient in the iteration of 5205 is more muted but it still reflects light at angles, which is meant to be. It is not as "glitzy" as the sunburst in the Rolex Datejust, but it reflects light as it is.
IMG_18052019_073241_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg
IMG_18052019_074457_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg
I own both watches but they are different. The 5205 is more classy looking in my opinion with its dial.
Old 18 May 2019, 10:10 PM   #18
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Sunburst —-:(

Its not are like the seiko alpinist...matte. Its a between but I think its less sunburst vs 5170P. You know the one with the diamonds

:)

Edit : This is matte sunburst
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 10:11 PM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I do not understand what is the "matte but sunburst gradient" you saw.

A matt surface is a non-reflective one seen on the 5960 blue, or the 5524 blue. They are not meant to be reflective but give a uniformed textured look to the eyes. Not saying it is better or worse, just different from sunburst.

A sunburst on the other hand is reflective. The sunburst gradient in the iteration of 5205 is more muted but it still reflects light at angles, which is meant to be. It is not as "glitzy" as the sunburst in the Rolex Datejust, but it reflects light as it is.
Attachment 1042566
Attachment 1042570
I own both watches but they are different. The 5205 is more classy looking in my opinion with its dial.
Can u put a picture of the 5170P here As well. Lol so we can compare rolex sunburst vs patek sunburst
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 10:18 PM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
The 5205G-013 is not a glitzy watch with a glossy sunburst. It is not meant to be either. It is a perfect Patek - understated in white gold with the matt dial, but interesting because of the sunburst. The 5205 apertures are the clearest form of AC complication, and perfect for the art-deco aesthetic - even with the clean white seconds hand. It is a beautiful watch, but certainly not one that screams at you. It is the modern elegant, for those who eschew yellow gold in favour of white gold, but also want the sophistication of the AC and sculptured case and lugs.

It is a great match for a more sporting in-your-face watch as a Nautilus or Rolex imho. Mine says hello.

That's a beautiful watch and perfect combo with wg and blue dial.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 11:37 PM   #21
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Can u put a picture of the 5170P here As well. Lol so we can compare rolex sunburst vs patek sunburst
If only I have a 5170p, 5270p and 5370p to showcase the differences between sunburst, opaline and enamel dial.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:36 AM   #22
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Absolutely beautiful watch this 5205.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote