The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Speed
"TRF" Member

State of Panerai?

Been off the Panerai forum for a while. Sold my one Pam last year...miss it a bit. I especially get a little whistful when I see my JV and Brown gator straps sitting idly in my watch box.

I see folks wearing Pams here and there, but what's the poop? Is the brand holding its own or slowing down?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:04 PM   #2
nick c
Banned

They are doing good
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
Seems fine to me.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:49 PM   #4
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I've heard the market has slowed for them
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:25 PM   #5
supra8903
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Market has slowed amongst all in richmont, as well am other major players.
Global softening (euro) and what ever is happening in China isnt helping.

They will do just fine. But I think the whole market is shrinking right now.
supra8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:49 PM   #6
nick c
Banned

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...of-prior-years
Old 11 January 2016, 11:08 PM   #7
Speed
"TRF" Member

State of Panerai?

Thanks all. I do read about market softening...

I was really wondering about Panerai in particular.

I know I used to defend them a fair bit...but wasn't sure if folks seemed to be selling them off / wearing more of other brands etc.

A very unscientific question I'll grant you.

Totally random...but here is a Video of some Bay Area, CA ladies - and why they like Panerai. Pure fluff, but it's rare that I see / hear a women's POV on Panerai - or of watches in general. 😎

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50O3hXryAmQ
Old 12 January 2016, 12:00 AM   #8
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Their reputation for integrity has suffered considerably since the PAM318 scandal and rightly so in my opinion.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 02:27 AM   #9
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I haven't been on the 'Risti forum for quite a while, but have noticed a drop off in posting here over the last few years. I still am a happy PAM owner though. I'd feel a little weird without one in the collection.
Old 12 January 2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Speed
"TRF" Member

State of Panerai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I haven't been on the 'Risti forum for quite a while, but have noticed a drop off in posting here over the last few years. I still am a happy PAM owner though. I'd feel a little weird without one in the collection.

I'm with you. I was trying to address this observation - in part.

I also found the 2015 video I posted above amusing as it was fairly recent...
Old 12 January 2016, 03:09 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

people mention on p.com a slowing of posting, but, i don't know if that means anything about the brand itself, especially with more and more boutiques opening and an ever-expanding product line.

one thing i know for sure is that mine will never intentionally leave my collection. if i could today, i would add (starting with either the 643 or 292).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 03:10 AM   #12
Speed
"TRF" Member

BTW...I just noticed the sound does not work for me on the video...but if I search for it on you tube - it does.
Old 12 January 2016, 05:54 AM   #13
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
A lot of the forums have slowed up but there are a lot of different reasons for that. Not every buyer is going to be a hard core risti or frequent forums when they buy new watches. As someone has mentioned, all of Richemont took a bit of a hit with the whole market softening in general. But that was all brands pretty much.

I think they are still doing fine personally. Maybe not as high as a few years back, but which brand is still doing that? I think they have done a decent job of introducing a few new pieces that appeal to the entry level swiss watch enthusiasts even though it pissed off a lot of hard core Paneristi.

End of the day no one brand can please everyone and the displeasure with something is always so much more vocal amongst the Panerai community because they are so die hard.
Old 12 January 2016, 06:08 AM   #14
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Been off the Panerai forum for a while. Sold my one Pam last year...miss it a bit. I especially get a little whistful when I see my JV and Brown gator straps sitting idly in my watch box.

I see folks wearing Pams here and there, but what's the poop? Is the brand holding its own or slowing down?
Panerai wants to move all their models with their in-house movements by 2017 and I think this will help the brand tick upwards and get back its popularity. Last 5-8 years, there was too much talk about in-house movements and this helped the popularity dip as it was behind other brands with similar pricing. Now, with 8 days base inhouse movements, it doesn't look pricey than other competitive brands for its base price.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 06:25 AM   #15
mfer
"TRF" Member

The brand has evolved/de-evolved in many people's minds. It used to be a "bull" market of modern watches. There was no other modern brand like it, appreciating in value! People expected that to continue forever. Mistakes were made on both sides and well that stopped. I think they are priced a little high compared to other modern brands offering comparable watches. I actually think a price adjustment would help a little, but there would be backlash of course.

Bottom line, if you like 'em, it's a great time to get a used one.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 06:34 AM   #16
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I actually see them more and more than i used to

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 06:34 AM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post

Bottom line, if you like 'em, it's a great time to get a used one.

I was definitely toying with the idea Mik.
Old 12 January 2016, 06:36 AM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Panerai wants to move all their models with their in-house movements by 2017 and I think this will help the brand tick upwards and get back its popularity. Last 5-8 years, there was too much talk about in-house movements and this helped the popularity dip as it was behind other brands with similar pricing. Now, with 8 days base inhouse movements, it doesn't look pricey than other competitive brands for its base price.

My reading has usually indicated the in-house movements were not spectacular from an accuracy standpoint.
Old 12 January 2016, 06:41 AM   #19
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
My reading has usually indicated the in-house movements were not spectacular from an accuracy standpoint.
That is actually not correct and if true the folks mentioned the issue is on the 7th and 8th day on a full wind. Folks compare that with regular ETA movements but the issue is for longer winding time and it can happen for most of the watches if stretched beyond a week. For me personally, its not an issue and even 4-5 days of good time-keeping is fine by me and can wind the watch again if needed.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 06:51 AM   #20
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
That is actually not correct and if true the folks mentioned the issue is on the 7th and 8th day on a full wind. Folks compare that with regular ETA movements but the issue is for longer winding time and it can happen for most of the watches if stretched beyond a week. For me personally, its not an issue and even 4-5 days of good time-keeping is fine by me and can wind the watch again if needed.

I don't have the issues of watch time mag handy...but I believe the issues were with Auto movements as well.

At any rate, most anyone who is into mechanicals knows they are not atomic clocks...but apart from the "fashion-risk" which Panerai may be more susceptible to Vs. say Rolex / others, their accuracy is not a deal breaker for me.
Old 13 January 2016, 07:36 AM   #21
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I still like them, and my 510 is not going anywhere any time soon.

But I am not without complain. I feel like some of their offering are made from the idea parts bit, made it sounds like they only have a few design element and all they do is mix and match to come up with a new model, and a new higher asking price. Having said that, I do like the subtle design update on the luminor 8 days movement line up.

Also, I really want to see more innovation on their movement, not just in-house, but something like the blue Parachrom hairspring from Rolex or the anti-mag master coaxial movement from Omega.

I hope they will allow the 44m luminor to have some of the advanced case material as well, like ceramic and carbotech. Not every one wants or can wear a 47mm watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 07:49 AM   #22
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

still follow the brand and love the style..just cut back on my collection...

I still get questioned a lot from youngsters (early 30s..I am mid 40s) about the brand...it seem the brand is still popular with watch buyers looking for something different from Rolex or Omega

good time to buy one used market as nothing has that unique Panerai style...but keep in mind the days of super large watches are over...
Old 13 January 2016, 08:21 AM   #23
mikelcch
"TRF" Member

I no longer follow the brand as much as I used to. Perhaps it's because there are just too many similar models.

I had a 312 once and while it was a good watch I offloaded it when they started producing the 8-days with only a small gap in pricing (movement vs. movement), thinking that I would lose more money if I kept it. I mean, who would wanna buy the 3-day when you can get the 8-days at just a little more. Not too sure if I did the right thing but in return I got the BLNR so at least I was happy about that.

Went away and more than a year later I decided to buy a 000, which I think is a fantastic reference, enough to satisfy and will not even bother with getting another one in the near future.

Sad but true...
mikelcch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 08:56 AM   #24
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Hard to say from my Midwest location. The AD nearest me said they're going to $#^% lately which I just took to mean not selling as well as they'd like. My 121 isn't going anywhere and is getting more wrist time than it was a year ago. I'd definitely consider another PAM but the newer ones are a little big fro my tastes. I think their case designs are iconic but there are only so many combinations you can come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 10:44 AM   #25
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Great comments.

I suppose a Pam is a bit like a Speedy Pro. Many WIS do want one in the collection.

My gut tells me they've seen their best days in terms of prices - in the secondary market as well.
Old 13 January 2016, 11:02 AM   #26
nick c
Banned

I have fantastic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.0 KB, 285 views)
Old 13 January 2016, 11:05 AM   #27
psv
"TRF" Member

The market for Panerai definitely soften. I know people who used to be hardcore Ristis who now have largely or completely sold off their collections. Personally I think they managed to create enough of an impact in the last 15-20 years that they are here to stay, but the hype/buzz has definitely died down, and the day of jumping on new limited releases and making quick money are long gone.

I do really like some models, e.g. 372, but the size prevents me from wearing them too frequently. I think if it would hit the $5K marked used, like an Omega Ploprof 1200, it would be a great buy and fun to have in the rotation.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 12:09 PM   #28
AK1984
Banned

Market for all watches is soft.

AK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 12:28 PM   #29
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1984 View Post
Market for all watches is soft.

This.

Panerai is not going anywhere.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 12:34 PM   #30
doc.kool
"TRF" Member

Great post

My PAM233 is currently my oldest contemporary watch in my collection. Although I don't wear it as much as my more recent arrivals, it usually gets worn a few times a month. It really got me into this hobby so it has sentimental value. I'm sure it's popularity will fluctuate as with most brands. Interesting post. I loved the women of panerai video
doc.kool is offline   Reply With Quote