The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Zdenek
"TRF" Member

AP vs. Rolex or Rolex vs. AP

Hello,
Could someone to compare these two brands, i. e. to compare comparable watches. For example RO and DJ, AP Diver and Sub, ROO and Daytona.
Are these watches comparable from reliability and accuracy point of view?
Thx.
Zdenek
Zdenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 05:29 AM   #2
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I own a couple of both as you can see in my signature and in my mind there is no direct comparison between the brands.

Rolex is more tool watches, they can take anything.

AP is more refined and better finished, with a bit more heritage in my view.

It all comes down to what you like and what you're looking for, one or more of each is always a wise choice!
Old 24 July 2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
AP is exponentially better finished. The movement is exponentially more decorated, with many using 22 carat gold rotors. I believe AP is just as reliable, but obviously more expensive.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 07:48 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Once you get beyond the cost factor, the most important thing really is which watch do you prefer?

Have you conducted any research? Have you tried any on, and compared them for yourself?

Have you found a specific watch you like?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 07:50 PM   #5
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdenek View Post
Hello,
Thx.
Zdenek
IMHO, if you are only looking at reliability and accuracy and not the decorations on the movement, then I would say Rolex and AP are on par.

Re: accuracy, you would need to compare apples and apples eg. a 28800bph movement in the cal 3135 is going to be more accurate than the 21600 bph in the cal 3120.

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Zdenek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Once you get beyond the cost factor, the most important thing really is which watch do you prefer?

Have you conducted any research? Have you tried any on, and compared them for yourself?

Have you found a specific watch you like?
Surely I have done a search on several fora including a couple of Asian watch fora. On the basis of the results I have found I asked the above questions to ask about your personal experiences.
It appears that AP watches are more susceptible to faults. I have read about fallen out screws, in one instance even from the Diver. Etc., etc. Even they were some minor imperfections in the function it was annoing at such a high end brand.
I am not condemning the brand such as it is, actually I like the watches very much. I am speechless while observing the mvts with leisure 21600 vibs. I made several visits to the local AP boutique. I tried on RO (both versions) and some ROOs. They are great, especially the Safari is a candy to me and my dream watch.
Nonetheless, in the first place I seek the reliability and accuracy as well as the versatility for my money. At present my criteria fulfils the brand with the “Crown.“ Why only this one? I have got three pieces in the last nine yrs, all they are perfect in the functions to date. I do not intentionally abuse my watches but on the other hand I do not baby them. So they have got some minor scratches and dents during the time. Their chronographs has smooth start without chrono hand jump. They have the priority in my list over other brands. I inspected some other chronos that suffer with the jumping at the start.

Conclusion: I like the production of some manuctures, they make lovely watches. My question is if their quaility is on the same level as (as their price) of the mentioned watchmakers producing repportedly 800k pieces a yr.
Old 24 July 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
if it were only down to acuracy and reliability we would all be wearing quartz casios.
go with what pleases you.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Zdenek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctt View Post
Re: accuracy, you would need to compare apples and apples eg. a 28800bph movement in the cal 3135 is going to be more accurate than the 21600 bph in the cal 3120.
I cannot agree with that statement in general sense. It is well known that old timepieces (as well as the new ones) with low frequency will pass the chronometer specs leisurely. :) :)

Thx for replies.
Zdenek
Old 25 July 2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Tough to compare based on movements, but all in all my AP's run "truer' to time than my Rolexes.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 07:49 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Thx.
Zdenek
Yes.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 08:06 AM   #11
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
I really dont care about any accuracy , the reason Im buying a paticular brand of watch because the feeling of wearing it. The pride , feeling of wearing my AP is more then my Rolex. thats my opinion.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Hello,
Could someone to compare these two brands, i. e. to compare comparable watches. For example RO and DJ, AP Diver and Sub, ROO and Daytona.
Thx.
Zdenek
I know I will get a lot of 'heat' from everyone here on the forum but in my humble opinion you can't compare Audemars Piguet to Rolex. They are two very different brands appealing to very different core consumers. I actually own both Rolex and AP. I love both but hate any comparisons between them.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 01:07 AM   #13
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I know I will get a lot of 'heat' from everyone here on the forum but in my humble opinion you can't compare Audemars Piguet to Rolex. They are two very different brands appealing to very different core consumers. I actually own both Rolex and AP. I love both but hate any comparisons between them.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Luv rolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ,SD 4000,LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Would you please clarify why you hate that comparison?
Luv rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:22 AM   #15
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctt View Post
IMHO, if you are only looking at reliability and accuracy and not the decorations on the movement, then I would say Rolex and AP are on par.

Your point is moot, if you were to only list reliability and accuracy as comparitive points then technically a $800 watch housing an ETA 2824 or 6497 is on par with a PP Calatrava.

If somebody really desires that a comparison between Rolex and AP be made, just list 2 similar models and I'll do a write up. (I recently did one between the THC and the PAM 005)
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv rolex View Post
Would you please clarify why you hate that comparison?
AP is at a different level. AP is one of the three giants of 'Haute Horlogerie' next to Patek and Vacheron.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Newrolexbuyer
Banned

Watch: DDII Ever Rose
Based on resell value which hasn't been discussed, I would go with Rolex. AP doesn't seem to hold its value nearly as well. My friend has the ROO and for me it's nothing special. I was intrigued with AP until i discovered the Patek 5726a and the 5026G those two watches are just spectacular IMO...I guess it's a little off topic, but PP Complications are just amazing :-)
Newrolexbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 11:20 AM   #18
h999r
Banned

Cant compare between these 2 brands . two different consumer. Its like comparing Mercedes and Ferarri. Both nice but one is nicer :)
Old 20 August 2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Luv rolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ,SD 4000,LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
Cant compare between these 2 brands . two different consumer. Its like comparing Mercedes and Ferarri. Both nice but one is nicer :)
how can you say this different consumers.LOL dont you look at your watches as well as submarino, TSW, and many others. YOU guys are weired the same consumer can have several brands. i also dont believe at categorizing the brands at a specific price point
Luv rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 06:15 PM   #20
h999r
Banned

Exactly right. I have both watches , some people can afford Rolex but not AP. But if you can afford AP then you can afford Rolex. That's what I mean :))
Old 20 August 2011, 06:36 PM   #21
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Lets say this as a comparison, my Rolex has not lost a second for 3 weeks. Running dead even. Can anyone with an AP let us know if you experience the same result???

On that result I would be making my decision which is better. I prefer an accurate watch then a good looking watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
Exactly right. I have both watches , some people can afford Rolex but not AP. But if you can afford AP then you can afford Rolex. That's what I mean :))

Some people who can afford an AP do prefer a Patek!
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 06:49 PM   #22
h999r
Banned

Exactly ... Agreed .... but Not for me. Maybe in 10 more years. Richard Mille !!
Old 21 August 2011, 02:25 AM   #23
Newrolexbuyer
Banned

Watch: DDII Ever Rose
The PP 5726a is my next watch purchase for sure, And im only 27. All my friends have AP and for me, it's a watch for younger people who want to flash. I definitely think AP is amazing don't get me wrong, it's just for the money and the poor resell value im going with a PP. A friend of mine has a Rose gold ROO his other favorite watch is his 5 time zone Jacob&Co. I was talking about PP with him and he replied he never heard of them, haha so funny! It's all about personal preference, but AP has done a good job marketing their product to the correct demographic...
Newrolexbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 04:38 AM   #24
h999r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolexbuyer View Post
The PP 5726a is my next watch purchase for sure, And im only 27. All my friends have AP and for me, it's a watch for younger people who want to flash. I definitely think AP is amazing don't get me wrong, it's just for the money and the poor resell value im going with a PP. A friend of mine has a Rose gold ROO his other favorite watch is his 5 time zone Jacob&Co. I was talking about PP with him and he replied he never heard of them, haha so funny! It's all about personal preference, but AP has done a good job marketing their product to the correct demographic...

Totally agreed. Some people crazy about this , that and it never ends. But we have to feel fortunate to be able to owning this watches. Those are great watches.
Old 21 August 2011, 07:16 AM   #25
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Have both, can't say i rate one higher than the other in terms of accuracy and reliability. The AP is better finished, especially the movement, but it costs nearly twice as much.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 03:39 AM   #26
h999r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
Have both, can't say i rate one higher than the other in terms of accuracy and reliability. The AP is better finished, especially the movement, but it costs nearly twice as much.

Nice collection !! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 22 August 2011, 03:52 AM   #27
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post

Love the GST

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 01:58 AM   #28
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
hm... i am interested to this discussion... i often heard that AP is better brand/watch, etc from rolex, but the issue sometime is the reliability.... as the maintenance is more rigorous than rolex, is that true ?
I assume AP should be as good as or even better than rolex if it is perceived as higher quality brand overall....
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 04:16 AM   #29
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
hm... i am interested to this discussion... i often heard that AP is better brand/watch, etc from rolex, but the issue sometime is the reliability.... as the maintenance is more rigorous than rolex, is that true ?
I assume AP should be as good as or even better than rolex if it is perceived as higher quality brand overall....

Is Ferrari more reliable than a Ford, i doubt it, same with watches, it's a case of reliability being pretty much the same across the board.

Quality is a word that's used way too often in terms of trying to separate the top and middle tier watches, quality is about being fit for purpose, not about the cost.

The main difference is that the likes of AP are smaller and more historical than Rolex, they spend a lot of time and effort on the finish, the look and the materials, that's where the differences are, hand finished parts, the use of gold, movements, cases, etc all designed in-house and used on much smaller numbers of watches.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 02:17 PM   #30
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks Ryan. I will have at least one AP in the future :)
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote