The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2019, 09:29 PM   #1
joemack83
"TRF" Member

Is dirt the main cause of bracelet stretch?

Just wondering if dirt is the reason for bracelet stretch...

Also, wondering the newer oyster bracelets - would they get stretch over time?
joemack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Yes.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Dirt, dead skin, oil and sweat get into the link-pin holes and form what is effectively a grinding paste that over time hollows out the holes, loosening the once-flush pins and stretching the links.

Some people suggest this won't happen with modern bracelets, but I don't see a reason this physical process can't happen with 6-digit bracelets. Since they're better constricted it might take longer, but it'll still happen over time.
Old 29 March 2019, 09:55 PM   #4
joemack83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Dirt, dead skin, oil and sweat get into the link-pin holes and form what is effectively a grinding paste that over time hollows out the holes, loosening the once-flush pins and stretching the links.

Some people suggest this won't happen with modern bracelets, but I don't see a reason this physical process can't happen with 6-digit bracelets. Since they're better constricted it might take longer, but it'll still happen over time.
whats the best way to prevent this?
joemack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:01 PM   #5
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemack83 View Post

Keep clean and wear snug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:03 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Just regular washing is plain old soap and water.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:09 PM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing that elaborate to wash a watch. Dish soap like Dawn is very good at removing oil, soap scum, and dirt. It also cleans very well under the bezel components.without leaving any residue. Hand soap, hair shampoo, and body wash leaves behind a film.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:48 PM   #8
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
My Submariner is new. I don't sweat in it, and don't shower with it, etc. How often should I (water) clean out the band?

(What I have been doing is using the Giotto hand blower (for camera lenses) to blow out the links. It works for sure.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4659.jpg (29.8 KB, 1357 views)
Old 29 March 2019, 10:57 PM   #9
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly View Post
My Submariner is new. I don't sweat in it, and don't shower with it, etc. How often should I clean out the band?
Once in a week
Old 29 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wear mine 24/7 and shower with it too. Showering helps keep things clean
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly View Post
My Submariner is new. I don't sweat in it, and don't shower with it, etc. How often should I (water) clean out the band?

(What I have been doing is using the Giotto hand blower (for camera lenses) to blow out the links. It works for sure.)
I clean mine when it needs it. That can mean everyday if I sweat in it. You really can’t wash it too much. Anytime you are in the pool or any water, you should wash it to get contamination out of the bracelet.
Dirt is the enemy. I like my watches to “pop” and that requires them to be spotless. It’s easy to do.

This is what a 17 year old watch can look like if you wash it often as I mentioned. I took that watch diving a lot. It’s been everywhere.

Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:27 PM   #12
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not endorsing it because a) I haven't actually used it yet and b) I am not aware that there's any evidence it will prevent bracelet stretch. Still, I don't mind potentially wasting a bit of cash on a gadget and the substantial OCD part of my psyche is looking forward to the ritual of removing my bracelets and buzzing them in the bath.
Old 29 March 2019, 11:42 PM   #13
CaryTheLabelGuy
"TRF" Member

I would be using distilled water, not tap water. Tap water can be hard and cause calcification between the links and under the bezel. Distilled water and Dawn dish soap.

Always rinse well with distilled water (if possible) after being in a clorinated environment as well.
CaryTheLabelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:43 PM   #14
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
I've bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not endorsing it because a) I haven't actually used it yet and b) I am not aware that there's any evidence it will prevent bracelet stretch. Still, I don't mind potentially wasting a bit of cash on a gadget and the substantial OCD part of my psyche is looking forward to the ritual of removing my bracelets and buzzing them in the bath.
Ultrasonic is the best way to remove dirt. Do an experiment - wash it regularly with dish soap for a couple months. Then stick in in the ultrasonic and see how much extra crud comes out.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:47 PM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
If you’ve got it, use it. It works.

9AC5E064-E2BB-4A41-9155-5B10EBF16293.jpeg
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 12:42 AM   #16
77T

Is dirt the main cause of bracelet stretch?

Quote:
Just wondering if dirt is the reason for bracelet stretch...

Also, wondering the newer oyster bracelets - would they get stretch over time?

I wouldn’t limit the reason to a sole source as “dirt”; better to say “foreign material”. The actual process is a combination of factors but everyone who said weekly washing are on the right track.

Your bracelet is a magnet for foreign material because of oil and lotion picked up from your skin. This acts like “the magnet” and holds the material. Once that adheres to a pin it acts like sand paper wearing down both the link and the pin. Seabathers and divers bring salt and quartz grit and other calcium bits into play too.

But - and an important “but” - YMMV.

Just like a car’s air filter should be changed based on operating environment like dusty, or “severe service” operation.

So if you have but one watch, worn daily for 12 hours or more, and use any skin products like sunscreen, lotion, etc. - then weekly scrub with mild, clear soap (baby toothbrushes are good).

But a collector who rotates their watches - and each one is perhaps worn 12 hours per week - then maybe monthly.

Lastly, if you are outdoors oriented and maybe wear your watch on the loose end - then prevention may warrant 2-3 times a week. Divers should do a wash after each dive methinks.

An Oyster bracelet has many pivot points and double the number in a Jubilee bracelet. Poor maintenance allows things like salt, dust and other abrasive material to remain in contact with those bracelet pivot points.

The link pins are static - they are press-fitted to the outer pieces of the bracelet links. But the center pieces are pivoting and acting like tiny grinding wheels against the static pins. New bracelets have sleeves to help but even they can be compromised. See the diagram for an exploded view of an Oyster link:

Eventually, over years of use, the grinding reduces the pin’s diameter at those pivot points and can even elongate the holes in the links. (That’s operating years - don’t count the time spent sitting in the safe)

The resulting looseness is called stretch - the bracelet appears longer and the links not as tight because the pins inside have changed. Here is an example from a Jubilee link:

And don’t forget the clasp pins either. Older clasps are more prone to this phenomenon than new ones - like this old Sub clasp:

While cleaning the bracelet, be sure to check your bracelet screws. Just look to see if they still appear flush or are “standing proud”. A gross example below:

Occasionally, the screws holding your removable links can work loose. For example if the loctite has degraded (or was never employed). Use a correctly sized screwdriver to re-tighten if they are loose (or have your watchmaker do that for you).

A prevention against bracelet stretch is to wear the bracelet above the wristbone - if comfort allows. A loose bracelet pivots more often and in a wider arc at each link because of your arm action.

* Note: several images borrowed from other TRF threads with gratitude to the hundreds of members who posted them. Too many to mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 01:17 AM   #17
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I clean mine when it needs it. That can mean everyday if I sweat in it. You really can’t wash it too much. Anytime you are in the pool or any water, you should wash it to get contamination out of the bracelet.
Dirt is the enemy. I like my watches to “pop” and that requires them to be spotless. It’s easy to do.

This is what a 17 year old watch can look like if you wash it often as I mentioned. I took that watch diving a lot. It’s been everywhere.

So nice to seee an older model looking so nice. Good job.
Old 30 March 2019, 01:35 AM   #18
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I wouldn’t limit the reason to a sole source as “dirt”; better to say “foreign material”. The actual process is a combination of factors but everyone who said weekly washing are on the right track.

Your bracelet is a magnet for foreign material because of oil and lotion picked up from your skin. This acts like “the magnet” and holds the material. Once that adheres to a pin it acts like sand paper wearing down both the link and the pin. Seabathers and divers bring salt and quartz grit and other calcium bits into play too.

But - and an important “but” - YMMV.

Just like a car’s air filter should be changed based on operating environment like dusty, or “severe service” operation.

So if you have but one watch, worn daily for 12 hours or more, and use any skin products like sunscreen, lotion, etc. - then weekly scrub with mild, clear soap (baby toothbrushes are good).

But a collector who rotates their watches - and each one is perhaps worn 12 hours per week - then maybe monthly.

Lastly, if you are outdoors oriented and maybe wear your watch on the loose end - then prevention may warrant 2-3 times a week. Divers should do a wash after each dive methinks.

An Oyster bracelet has many pivot points and double the number in a Jubilee bracelet. Poor maintenance allows things like salt, dust and other abrasive material to remain in contact with those bracelet pivot points.

The link pins are static - they are press-fitted to the outer pieces of the bracelet links. But the center pieces are pivoting and acting like tiny grinding wheels against the static pins. New bracelets have sleeves to help but even they can be compromised. See the diagram for an exploded view of an Oyster link:

Eventually, over years of use, the grinding reduces the pin’s diameter at those pivot points and can even elongate the holes in the links. (That’s operating years - don’t count the time spent sitting in the safe)

The resulting looseness is called stretch - the bracelet appears longer and the links not as tight because the pins inside have changed. Here is an example from a Jubilee link:

And don’t forget the clasp pins either. Older clasps are more prone to this phenomenon than new ones - like this old Sub clasp:

While cleaning the bracelet, be sure to check your bracelet screws. Just look to see if they still appear flush or are “standing proud”. A gross example below:

Occasionally, the screws holding your removable links can work loose. For example if the loctite has degraded (or was never employed. Use a correctly sized screwdriver to re-tighten if they are loose (or have your watchmaker do that for you).

A prevention against bracelet stretch is to wear the bracelet above the wristbone - if comfort allows. A loose bracelet pivots more often and in a wider arc at each link because of your arm action.

* Note: several images borrowed from other TRF threads with gratitude to the hundreds of members who posted them. Too many to mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cool info. Thanks!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 01:40 AM   #19
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

wow great info here
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #20
Net-man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-D, Sea-D
Bracelets of yore were not of highest quality, eventually any thing not maintained will wear/age

Jubilee tend to show it more, moving parts I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Net-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:52 AM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes and yes.

Cleaning with soap or air only removes the outer grime.
If you want to do it properly buy a Ultra Sonic cleaner, these cost nothing and removes dirt from between and inside the links.
All RSC uses these as well.

You'll be surprised to see how much gunk comes out from a clean looking bracelet.

Does using a Ultra Sonic extends the life of a bracelet ? Don't know, but does not hurt and I like things to be perfectly clean.

It's also therapeutic to fiddle around with your watches

L1010203.JPG

ultra.JPG
Old 31 March 2019, 12:18 AM   #22
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Enjoying great weather here in the UK & feeling cheeky, so... No dirt doesn’t cause bracelet stretch.
It’s the grinding action!
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:33 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Cleaning technique!!! Half hour cleaning 5 to 6 times per week!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:44 AM   #24
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes and yes.

Cleaning with soap or air only removes the outer grime.
If you want to do it properly buy a Ultra Sonic cleaner, these cost nothing and removes dirt from between and inside the links.
All RSC uses these as well.

You'll be surprised to see how much gunk comes out from a clean looking bracelet.

Does using a Ultra Sonic extends the life of a bracelet ? Don't know, but does not hurt and I like things to be perfectly clean.

It's also therapeutic to fiddle around with your watches
I'm not nearly brave enough to take the bracelets off my Rolex watches. I'll take them off the others because they're not that big of deal to me. But, I don't want to risk gouging the gold.

Is it safe to put the whole watch in the ultrasonic cleaner (with the head kept out of the water on a watch attachment)? Or are the vibrations of the machine bad for the movement?
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:45 AM   #25
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Also, what about steam cleaners? How effective are they?
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:46 AM   #26
Juantxo
Banned

Entropy and gravity are the main culprits.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 03:07 AM   #27
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I'm not nearly brave enough to take the bracelets off my Rolex watches. I'll take them off the others because they're not that big of deal to me. But, I don't want to risk gouging the gold.

Is it safe to put the whole watch in the ultrasonic cleaner (with the head kept out of the water on a watch attachment)? Or are the vibrations of the machine bad for the movement?
Masking tape is your friend.
Old 31 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #28
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post

No only bracelet. No watchmaker submerges the watch head in the ultrasonic. Don't know why, but they don't. Perhaps the lubrication goes where it should not be.

Removing bracelets is an easy DIY. Don't rush it. Correct tools and nowadays I need a loupe.
Old 31 March 2019, 05:55 AM   #29
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I wash all of mine regularly. I like using warm/hot water and dish soap, as the soap nowadays specifically targets oils and such.

Never the less, I’m always amazed and how much gunk comes out in an ultrasonic. I think a cheap home timegrapher and a cheap home ultrasonic are the best tools a watch nerd can have.

The timegrapher to tell you when your watch actually needs service, and the ultrasonic to save tons of bracelet wear. At the price of these watches, both tools are a very inexpensive investment that pay future dividends in reduced service costs and reduced bracelet wear.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 06:53 AM   #30
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Two Ultasonic questions.

I'm chicken to take off my bracelet as well, so:

How long do you keep it in the ultrasonic?
Could I just hold the case out of the bin and just let the bracelet dangle in there?