The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2019, 08:37 AM   #1
tpool
"TRF" Member

AD Discount Update

One of my favorite ADs in the Caribbean sent word today as of April 1st no discounts on any Rolex unless discontinued. Prior to April it was 5% for TT & 10% for PM. Prior to 9/30/18 it was 5% SS, 10% TT, 15% PM. This came directly from Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 08:41 AM   #2
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
If Rolex is saying no discounts on PM, they are truly trying to kill the SS market.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 08:54 AM   #3
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This may sound like a conspiracy but, the renaissance of Tudor and, the parallel branding, may have Rolex moving upmarket and away from basic steel sports models. The niche of the blro, batman, move to jubilee on those models. Elimination of “basic” black dial variants. All the signs are there, Rolex is basically demonstrating its intent but, we don’t want to see it. Two tier branding: basic watches = tudor, niche and special watches = rolex
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:39 AM   #4
blada4life
"TRF" Member

LOL i just posted this on Sunday and everyone accused me of an April Fools joke
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:44 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m glad to hear it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:47 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

No more pm for me I guess. Except for Tylenol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:03 AM   #7
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

More reasons for me to think
They’re keeping only a couple of ss models only!
Old 3 April 2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
These are great times, top of the cycle. However, there will be discounts. Maybe not today, but down the road there will be AD’s that need to unload some inventory. Just a reality of retail.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #9
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
Isn’t it up to the AD to set their price as long as it’s not above MSRP?

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 11:12 AM   #10
tpool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post

Yes, but the ADs are very jittery now since so many are losing the brand. The wording was strong from Rolex in all caps. Some will still discount probably & run the risk of getting caught. I just can’t see those overpriced PM models moving without some incentive. IMO

tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 11:14 AM   #11
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
I would think so. It is not legal for a manufacturer to set retailer's price. The manufacturer, can however, refrain from using that retailer.

The key word is "suggested." A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/comp...cturer-imposed
Old 3 April 2019, 12:05 PM   #12
blada4life
"TRF" Member

I have a good relationship with the manager of that overseas location I presume you are speaking of, and he sounded very concerned. He did mention that he thinks In 6-8 months it’ll cool off and maybe they will be allowed again once the 2019 models start trickling in.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD D-BLUE
I was in Nassau a couple of weeks ago and they told me absolutely no discounts on any SS models.

**Edit - premature submit - Or any PM or TT or DJ. They wouldn’t budge on anything.
Uga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 12:10 PM   #14
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Is this Tudor as well or just Rolex?
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:14 PM   #15
brandog
Banned

They will never discontinue all their SS models. SS rolex's specifically the Sub is the heart of Rolex's DNA/History.

Also their #1 selling watch, the Datejust is stainless steel. Most of their client base cant afford or wont take the step up to PM watches either.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:15 PM   #16
DoubleRJewelry
Banned

same here no discounts now smh!
DoubleRJewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:34 PM   #17
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Yes theyre bringing prices back to MSRP. Wouldn't wonder if we one day see a premium on PM. 116508 Green is asking premium.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:20 PM   #18
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Good!
Old 3 April 2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Also their #1 selling watch, the Datejust is stainless steel. Most of their client base cant afford or wont take the step up to PM watches either.
This is something I've been wondering about... why do most people buy a Rolex? Is it to help perpetuate some sort of image (in other words, as a status symbol, as some do with cars; Mercedes B-class = DJ, still gives the logo/image, at fraction of the cost of a flagship model (S-class/DD)) or are they just folks who've worked hard to buy "the best" watch, which thanks to Rolexes brilliant marketing over the years has lead many to believe is made by them? Maybe some combination of the two. I also wonder if most Rolex buyers are one-time buyers who wear the watch their entire life? I know that's not the case here and this forum is obviously an exception not accounting for the majority of the Rolex-buying contingent in the world. Genuinely curious about the demographic. Being a kid of the 90's/2000's, I always thought of Rolex as a luxury brand, not the tool watch brand it was in previous decades. I'm aware of the history and original intents for the various designs, but feel that all happens to be mostly a novelty today helped to perpetuate brand image and worth more than anything.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:11 PM   #20
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’ve been going to the Caribbean since 1997 on cruises (maybe 6 or 7 times) so been to most islands and nearly all the AD’s offered 5% off TT and 10% off full gold, so that’s a big change. As the islands are tax and duty free, they will still be cheap, but bound to lose sales.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:08 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m glad to hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Good!
Completely agree and I am very happy about no discounts
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:35 PM   #22
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Was in Nassau As Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uga2007 View Post
I was in Nassau a couple of weeks ago and they told me absolutely no discounts on any SS models.

**Edit - premature submit - Or any PM or TT or DJ. They wouldn’t budge on anything.
LOL, I was in Nassau about 2 months ago. They only had one Gold Daytona, a TT Yachtmaster II, one RG Yachtmaster, and a few DJ. When I asked about SS availability in the near future, or if there were any put away in the back, the sales rep laughed. I will say this, the sales rep was extremely nice and we talked for awhile. she said she couldn't remember the last time they had any SS models in stock.
Weinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #23
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Completely agree and I am very happy about no discounts
Why? Without discounts, what's to differentiate one AD from another?
NiceShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:49 PM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceShirt View Post
Why? Without discounts, what's to differentiate one AD from another?
Service? Location? Selection? Knowledgeable staff?

Your question is flawed. Second hand sellers are selling watches at marked up prices. Why should an AD ever discount?

If you are shopping for a deal there are a lot of Walmart stores. High end luxury jewelry does not need to be discounted.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 3 April 2019, 10:04 PM   #25
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Even above, they are the owners of the merchandise after all and can do as they please
Old 3 April 2019, 10:13 PM   #26
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Service? Location? Selection? Knowledgeable staff?

Your question is flawed. Second hand sellers are selling watches at marked up prices. Why should an AD ever discount?

If you are shopping for a deal there are a lot of Walmart stores. High end luxury jewelry does not need to be discounted.
What service do AD's provide other than sizing bracelets? Location? there are 5 AD's within 30 minutes of me. Selection? No one has SS models anyway; and every AD has offered to order me any PM piece. Knowledgeable staff? Customers know more than sales associates thanks to the internet.

Why is my question flawed? No discounts on SS is obviously a function of demand. But what about PM and two tone or ugly dialed DJ's?

Luxury goods are precisely the goods that should be discounted. They commodified elastic goods with high margins that are not necessities.
Old 3 April 2019, 10:15 PM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Luxury goods are precisely the goods that should be discounted. They commodified elastic goods with high margins that are not necessities.

And yet the stainless steel watch demand would indicate otherwise.
Old 3 April 2019, 10:29 PM   #28
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And yet the stainless steel watch demand would indicate otherwise.
The price of SS models just happen to currently sit in the inelastic part of the demand curve. If they cost $1m dollars, do you think that would still be the case? As little as 4 years ago discounts were available on SS models. During the financial crisis, SS Daytonas were put in AD show cases.
Old 3 April 2019, 10:32 PM   #29
aphil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
No more pm for me I guess. Except for Tylenol
this
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:43 PM   #30
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What service do AD's provide other than sizing bracelets? Location? there are 5 AD's within 30 minutes of me. Selection? No one has SS models anyway; and every AD has offered to order me any PM piece. Knowledgeable staff? Customers know more than sales associates thanks to the internet.

Why is my question flawed? No discounts on SS is obviously a function of demand. But what about PM and two tone or ugly dialed DJ's?

AD’s put up huge money to place stock orders. And most buyers are not as savvy as you think. We are the exception not the rule.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote