The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 October 2016, 11:25 PM   #1
andynj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
"importing" a non-Rolex to USA from Germany

Looking at a used ALS from a dealer in Germany - much lower price that I can find in the States. Any body have suggestions/experience/warnings! Watch is on Chrono24 from a "Trusted Seller".
andynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2016, 11:31 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Given it's PM, you'll need to check the import tariffs associated with the material.
You'll also need to ensure that the seller can provide a CITES certificate for the strap material, assuming it's crocodile or any other skin that requires it.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 03:03 AM   #3
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I started a similar discussion in Open Forums. While I have not bought a watch through an online re-seller, I have brought a watch into the U.S.

Your biggest hassle is the alligator strap. Ask the vendor to ship the watch on a different, non-alligator, strap and you should be fine. If you have an alligator strap, then the strap must come with a yellow tag. The tag outlines the country of origin of leather and tells the customs that the strap complies with CITES. If for some reasons the customs agents have questions about the strap, the customs may hold your watch until all their questions are addressed.

If I were you, I'd call a reputable German dealer, like Wempe. Tell them that you want to buy a watch from them and ask them to ship it to the States.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 03:06 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Wempe already have a store in the US — doubt they'll ship something they already officially sell in the NY branch.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 04:17 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
See if the seller is solid, ifnyes take a plane and go get the watch in Germany. Come back home wearing it, and send the box and papers dully wrapped in a number of protective material and other things to a friend by post or fedex declaring "box and papers", how much is import duty in the US, 20%? I understand for companies for whom it's their business, but for a private person which does this one time I find scandalous to make him pay import taxes, another racket of our midern world
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 05:00 AM   #6
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
See if the seller is solid, ifnyes take a plane and go get the watch in Germany. Come back home wearing it, and send the box and papers dully wrapped in a number of protective material and other things to a friend by post or fedex declaring "box and papers", how much is import duty in the US, 20%? I understand for companies for whom it's their business, but for a private person which does this one time I find scandalous to make him pay import taxes, another racket of our midern world
Call me old-fashioned, but isn't this against the law?
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 10:02 AM   #7
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Yeah, it is.

When you do choose not to declare items, you commit a federal offense with an element of intent. If uncovered, you will face a fine and a criminal record that will impact your ability to get clearance or a job. If you are U.S. resident but not a citizen, you will also jeopardize your immigration status. All of that for several hundred dollars you would pay in import duties. In short, do not do it.

The import duty in the U.S. is not 20%. It is based on the item, the materials that went into the creation of the item and other variables.
Old 21 October 2016, 02:01 PM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Yeah, it is.

When you do choose not to declare items, you commit a federal offense with an element of intent. If uncovered, you will face a fine and a criminal record that will impact your ability to get clearance or a job. If you are U.S. resident but not a citizen, you will also jeopardize your immigration status. All of that for several hundred dollars you would pay in import duties. In short, do not do it.

The import duty in the U.S. is not 20%. It is based on the item, the materials that went into the creation of the item and other variables.
I think I paid around ~2-3% for importing a SS watch from Germany (tariffs go with the country of origin, regardless of from where the good it is shipped from). Very reasonable in my opinion. For a gold watch it will probably be more but I doubt it will be more than ~8-10%.

If you are buying from a seller with international experience he/she may be able to give you some ballpark numbers.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2016, 02:23 PM   #9
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
I think I paid around ~2-3% for importing a SS watch from Germany (tariffs go with the country of origin, regardless of from where the good it is shipped from). Very reasonable in my opinion. For a gold watch it will probably be more but I doubt it will be more than ~8-10%.

If you are buying from a seller with international experience he/she may be able to give you some ballpark numbers.
Yeah, 2-3% sounds about right. You still save a lot as you bypass the VAT. I did some calculations and if you play the cards right, it is worth going to Europe to buy a watch. E.g., pay for the ticket in miles, get a watch and pay only 2-3% in duties.