The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2021, 01:35 PM   #31
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
<<< Favourite rock'n roll gigs >>>

I love live music at small venues. The two Rock shows that stick out the most though are ZZ Top, front row at Ruth Eckerd Hall and Carlos Santana, 3rd row at what was the Ford Amphitheater. That being said I have had some amazing times in the lawn seats of some large venues and think I actually prefer them rather than being close to the stage.

Only picture I can find is from Busch Gardens food and wine fest a few years ago when Cole Swindell was playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:05 PM   #32
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
In 2002, I was lucky enough to see Grant McLennan from Australian band The Go-Betweens play a short set at a private birthday party in Brisbane, four years before he died. With a pick-up band including David McCormack from Custard on lead guitar, Grant belted through some of the best Go-Betweens songs including ‘Bye Bye Pride’ and ‘Right Here’. I had always preferred Robert Forster’s songs in the Go-Betweens and never given Grant his due respect — until that night. It was the best performance I’ve seen, and to a crowd of about 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 575981CA-BE86-4231-87E1-6BD73E091423.jpeg (94.1 KB, 31 views)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:52 PM   #33
Dr. Hips
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
For me it was Stiff Little Fingers in Atlanta at a 1000 capacity club. They were my FAVORITE band in high school and I got drunk the night before they came to my area in Jersey and my parents wouldn’t let me go see them play. Had to wait 20 years lol
Nice! LOVE the SLF!
Funny side note. Back when I lived in Chicago, my wife and I would hang out sometimes at this divey spot called Jakes. Low and behold a few times we hung there, who was tending the bar. Jake Burns of all people. Great dude and makes a mean old Fashioned.

Old 21 September 2021, 10:58 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Very nice Brian!

I too enjoy live music. An obscure alternative rock band and one that I make the effort to go to whenever they’re in town or performing in LA is Coheed and Cambria.

The atmosphere is very different at live music venues when you’re surrounded by other fans who know every song from the first album to the last.
Now this really resonates with me Nick

Although I don’t know the band, we have a similar one we follow here. Every December 54-40 plays in Toronto at a fairly iconic bar (The Horeshoe). Sing along music that everyone who knows the band, really gets into
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 10:58 PM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
In 2002, I was lucky enough to see Grant McLennan from Australian band The Go-Betweens play a short set at a private birthday party in Brisbane, four years before he died. With a pick-up band including David McCormack from Custard on lead guitar, Grant belted through some of the best Go-Betweens songs including ‘Bye Bye Pride’ and ‘Right Here’. I had always preferred Robert Forster’s songs in the Go-Betweens and never given Grant his due respect — until that night. It was the best performance I’ve seen, and to a crowd of about 30.
That sounds amazing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:01 AM   #36
Mifune
Banned

this concert left a huge impression on me...

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:48 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve only been to a couple of concerts and they were fun but the most fun stuff I saw was a bar in Santa Monica called Merlin McFlys that I worked the door at for a few years in late 80s LA. They had table magicians most nights and they also had a “house band” called Gumbo that played about 2-3 nights a week.

It was fronted by Sherwood Ball (Ball Guitar Strings—-Ernie Ball) and Rick Braun. They played mostly R&B and would include incredible session musicians and bands that were recording in LA at the time. Tower of Power horns, and top artists at the time would sit at the bar waiting for their turn to come up. It was magical.

A couple of numbers, the horn section would slip out the back door and come around the building and in through the front door horns a blaring as they worked their way through the crowd.

Such a hoot. And the talent that loved to get out of the studio and play a live gig while they were in town.

I remember one night Doc Severensen walked across the street from Chinois on Main (a Wolfgang Puck Restaurant ) and was standing at the door for about 15 minutes, going….fu@$, these guys are good…

http://www.stormalliancemedia.com/
Old 22 September 2021, 08:03 AM   #38
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
For me it was Stiff Little Fingers in Atlanta at a 1000 capacity club. They were my FAVORITE band in high school and I got drunk the night before they came to my area in Jersey and my parents wouldn’t let me go see them play. Had to wait 20 years lol
Saw them at the Hollywood Palladium many moons ago . Cool moment when Jim Reilly (the drummer at the time ) jumped off his kit mid song to join a fight in front of the stage . Oh, those were the days .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote