The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2021, 10:09 AM   #2701
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Any word on a decision on Bottas slowing the field after 1st safety car was deployed to give Lewis space into the pit lane?  Seems to have been lost amongst all the other drama and a time penalty would give 
​​​​​​​Ocon podium spot.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:31 AM   #2702
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Any word on a decision on Bottas slowing the field after 1st safety car was deployed to give Lewis space into the pit lane?  Seems to have been lost amongst all the other drama and a time penalty would give 
​​​​​​​Ocon podium spot.
This was addressed by Masi during the race. The 10 car length is only applicable for formation laps or something like that.

edit: It was kind of a weird explanation that I don't quite follow but RB either bought it or decided to move on.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:13 PM   #2703
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
https://youtu.be/WR-RSUkWZwM

Love the press conference lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:05 PM   #2704
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So he brake checked.

Next race i'd have BOT take out VER and be done with Max's antics.
Bottas already did that in Hungary, if Mercedes needs to resort again to foul play I never buy a Merc again in my life
Old 6 December 2021, 06:26 PM   #2705
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
My summary:
-MV brings nothing positive to the track, unless you hate LH, in which case it still isn’t good as once Lewis retires we’ll still have this reckless menace on the track.
-He’s even infected his whole team who now defend and perpetuate and encourage him.
-The FIA and stewards have no recourse but to get involved because their hands are forced by the most reckless driver on the track in modern times. To complain about the FIA means you just want a demolition derby, which this is not.
-Lewis isn’t innocent but he is being drawn in to crazy world by not refusing to give in to MVs play chicken strategy.

I hope and pray he doesn’t win WDC because it will mean that reckless, irresponsible driving is some how encouraged and rewarded. I would have loved this title fight if we were watching two greats go wheel to wheel where in the moment s$?t happens.
With MV, there are no racing incidents, relatively speaking it’s been like drunk driver near misses any time anyone finds themselves competing with Chrashstappen. He acts like a spoiled self entitled brat that behaves like a road rager in an F1 car.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:29 PM   #2706
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
^^^^^I agree 100%.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:51 PM   #2707
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I was under the impression that 'brake testing' was not legal.
Do we know what the VER 'telemetry' showed?

What was the point of the extra 10 sec penalty, if it leaves the offending driver in the exact same position??

__________________________________________________ ______________

Lewis: “All of a sudden he started backing up, and then kind of moving a little bit. So I was like, ‘is he trying to play some kind of crazy tactic? I don’t know’.

“But all of a sudden the message started coming through just as he hit the brake so hard, and I nearly went up completely in the back of him and took us both out.

It doesn’t matter for him if we don’t both finish. For me, we both need to finish. But it will be interesting to see what happens.”

A British lawyers (irrelevant) view.
Brake checking is an illegal action. The person in front of you, in a brake checking situation, suddenly slams on their brakes. They do this to surprise you, and sometimes it’s to intentionally cause a collision. Regardless of where you are, this action puts you and others in danger.

Rear-end collisions aren’t always the fault of the rear driver

There is a myth that the car in the rear is always at fault when they get into a crash with the vehicle that is in front of them. The reality is that either driver could be at fault. If you have a dash cam in your vehicle, for example, showing the authorities that the other vehicle was stopped suddenly and for no reason could be enough to have the other party held liable for the crash.

Brake checking is a kind of road rage. Road rage in itself is illegal, because it is a form of reckless driving. Someone who recklessly controls their vehicle and intentionally puts others at risk should not be on the roads.

How can you prove the other driver brake checked you?

In crash scenarios, there are many times when it’s witness statements that help the most. If someone at the scene who agrees that the other driver suddenly cut in front of you and stopped, or that the driver had no reason to suddenly brake but did so anyway, their statement will help you. It would also be helpful to obtain any video evidence you can, which would support your claim that the other driver stopped without regard for the safety of those around them.

Videos are also great if you can get the other driver to admit to brake checking you. For instance, if the driver gets out of their vehicle after the crash and tells you they taught you a lesson, then that would be like an admission of guilt and helpful for your case.

__________________________________________________ ________

While any penalty for either Hamilton or Verstappen will depend entirely on whether or not a theoretical incident actually happens, the severity of the penalties available to FIA-endorsed stewards is near-infinite. In 1997, Formula 1 officials disqualified Michael Schumacher for an entire season for causing a title-swinging collision. They also disqualified Ayrton Senna from a single race in 1989 for a similar infraction, costing him the 1989 championship.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:40 AM   #2708
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
My summary:
-MV brings nothing positive to the track, unless you hate LH, in which case it still isn’t good as once Lewis retires we’ll still have this reckless menace on the track.
-He’s even infected his whole team who now defend and perpetuate and encourage him.
-The FIA and stewards have no recourse but to get involved because their hands are forced by the most reckless driver on the track in modern times. To complain about the FIA means you just want a demolition derby, which this is not.
-Lewis isn’t innocent but he is being drawn in to crazy world by not refusing to give in to MVs play chicken strategy.

I hope and pray he doesn’t win WDC because it will mean that reckless, irresponsible driving is some how encouraged and rewarded. I would have loved this title fight if we were watching two greats go wheel to wheel where in the moment s$?t happens.
With MV, there are no racing incidents, relatively speaking it’s been like drunk driver near misses any time anyone finds themselves competing with Chrashstappen. He acts like a spoiled self entitled brat that behaves like a road rager in an F1 car.
I think MV has been the best what could have happened to F1.
Without the likes of him F1 is nothing but a parade of a few fast cars driving in circles soon to become extinct and extremely boring to watch.
Now we are enjoying a very exciting season since a long time.

Perhaps you forgot about the attack by LH on MV at Silverstone.
Running somebody of the track at that speed …

It takes two to tango
Old 7 December 2021, 12:47 AM   #2709
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My summary:

Sooo this ^^^^^

HAM slowed down behind instead of passing VER because, as a driver, you need to **intuitively know** other drivers and their driving 'style'. HAM must have felt VER was playing another dirty trick, which in the end VER lived up to his reputation via brake-checking.

This should cost VER a race, and thus not allowed to participate within this coming weekend's event. Look, i don't give a flying f--- if i'm a HAM fan or not. This is being said as a fellow racer of an open-wheel Formula car.

As a retired Formula driver myself (in the lower leagues), if VER pulled that cr@p with me on-track.... F1 needs to follow their rules of engagement.

Ya know, years ago Ferrari was onto something by having other teams start a new racing Formula. Perhaps it is time to revisit this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:48 AM   #2710
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Running somebody of the track at that speed … :
At Silverstone Verstappen was on the outside of Hamilton and turned into him with his customary aggressive style in the hope that Hamilton would back out and brake.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:21 AM   #2711
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Without the likes of him F1 is nothing but a parade of a few fast cars driving in circles soon to become extinct and extremely boring to watch.

It takes two to tango
Agreed
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:43 AM   #2712
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It takes two to tango
i think there are two sides to this. i do think max is very talented and he has that 80s era aggressive driving which is something you don't see anymore because f1 has been steering towards safety for decades. on the other hand though, a lot of his moves are just plain stupid. if he matures and combines his driving style with it then it would turn into proper excitement

for now i think most people that like him only like him because lewis wins every year and has a large amount of haters
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:56 AM   #2713
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If neither finish in the final race, who gets the championship?
daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:01 AM   #2714
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
At Silverstone Verstappen was on the outside of Hamilton and turned into him with his customary aggressive style in the hope that Hamilton would back out and brake.

Fully agree. After what Ver did in Silverstone I no longer treat him as a serious, adult driver. He rests between a moaning kiddo and a completely irresponsible a…hole.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:01 AM   #2715
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
If neither finish in the final race, who gets the championship?

Ver. He won more races in 2021.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:17 AM   #2716
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
The whole race left a bad taste in my mouth.  Could have been handled better by both the FIA, stewards, teams etc.  Obviously Max and Lewis were the main focus, but there were other WTF moments all throughout the race like Kimi just ramming into Vettel for no apparent reason, and others.... too many to mention.

As it pertains to Max, he is a throwback driver in the style of Senna & Schumacher and that's part of the appeal. The other is that Mercedes & Hamilton have had it so easy for nearly a decade that people pull for the underdog. Max's aggressive style may also be that he's battling with a car that is much faster down the straights and needs to do much more to either catch up to the Mercedes or keep it behind when he can. That qualifying lap he put in up to the last corner is exactly why F1 is so compelling this year. We all know the Mercedes is faster, but a young driver of 23 years old is extracting everything he can from a car that doesn't have the pace. It resulted in a mistake but that's the beauty of this years competition.

At the end of the day, after multiple safety cars, red flags, VSC, 3 standing starts and a partridge in a pair tree, the 2 driver finished EXACTLY as everyone predicted before the weekend started.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:18 AM   #2717
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Ver. He won more races in 2021.
What's stopping him(Ver) from taking out Lewis on lap one and taking the championship?
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:30 AM   #2718
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDREW22 View Post
What's stopping him(Ver) from taking out Lewis on lap one and taking the championship?
Schumacher basically tried to do this back in the day. He was DQ'd for the season.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:37 AM   #2719
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:

This is such ridiculous conjecture.

No one has deliberately taken anyone out this season.

So many Merc/Ham fans with their conspiracy theories.

I would reckon that the FIA could strip the championship form Verstappen WERE he to do something as ridiculous as what is repeatedly suggested on this forum.

drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:38 AM   #2720
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

We may never see a championship come down to the last race with both drivers tied in points again in our lives. Sunday can't come soon enough...
Old 7 December 2021, 02:52 AM   #2721
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
My summary:

1000% agreed and well stated.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:26 AM   #2722
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This possibility has been raised a few times.

The bravery and skill of the drivers put aside, for me, the Saudi race was ridiculous.
A very high speed, narrow, featureless 'tube' of a track, if it stays the same, someone will die.

Countless incidents over the meeting were a warning.
Old 7 December 2021, 05:09 AM   #2723
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Let us say you have a valuable vintage car you want to race at Goodwood Festival. Would you trust HAM or VER?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 7 December 2021, 05:14 AM   #2724
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
What's stopping LH from taking out MV on lap one ...
NAVY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:18 AM   #2725
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
We haven't seen a F1 season like this for so long. Almost forgot what wheel to wheel racing was like! Yes, Max needs to dial it back a bit, however, when has F1 been this exciting in recent memory?

Can't wait until Sunday. Either driver deserves to win!
NAVY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:18 AM   #2726
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
Er.......because of the risk.
If they both fail to finish...its VER's championship. (more GP wins)
Old 7 December 2021, 05:23 AM   #2727
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
His chance of winning the Championship?
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #2728
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Er.......because of the risk.
If they both fail to finish...its VER's championship. (more GP wins)
That's the point.
It's got to be a clean race to the checkered flag...imo.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:47 AM   #2729
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Only his conscience and sense of fair play.
So it will probably happen on Hamilton’s first overtake attempt then ….
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:59 AM   #2730
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We haven't seen a F1 season like this for so long. Almost forgot what wheel to wheel racing was like! Yes, Max needs to dial it back a bit, however, when has F1 been this exciting in recent memory?

Can't wait until Sunday. Either driver deserves to win!
True that. I hope the Kindom seeds clouds so it rains during the final race.