The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #121
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
so bad pic then, mind u the 5711 and 12s aint that blue anyways
Here is a better pic:

Untitled.jpg
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:26 AM   #122
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulin View Post
Here is a better pic:

Attachment 1072089

True dat x
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:50 AM   #123
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulin View Post
Here is a better pic:

Attachment 1072089

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:08 AM   #124
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Actually a 3712a and here are pics of each in better lighting;

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:26 AM   #125
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
It’s the opportunity cost concept as well guys. Bottom line is you are a implicitly assigning a higher value to the watch than the cash value of the watch by keeping it. In other words it is worth more to you qualitatively or quantitatively or you would have sold it.

Great explanation!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:59 PM   #126
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
In accounting we recognize inventory at lower of cost or net realizable value. Gain is only recognized when we sell at higher price. Derivatives and certain classes of financial instruments will be at fair value.

Just saying.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:23 PM   #127
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
In accounting we recognize inventory at lower of cost or net realizable value. Gain is only recognized when we sell at higher price. Derivatives and certain classes of financial instruments will be at fair value.

Just saying.
So...my 5711 will be accounted for at lower of cost or net realizable value. FatNinja's underwritten short position will be at fair value! :)
Old 21 September 2019, 02:40 PM   #128
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So...my 5711 will be accounted for at lower of cost or net realizable value. FatNinja's underwritten short position will be at fair value! :)
The crux is how we see our 5711.
Old 21 September 2019, 07:34 PM   #129
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Well, I have a 5711 white and it is one of my favorite pieces and gets the most wrist time.
Would I pay today’s prices? Sorry to tell you, if you have one ( I know you do Ninja, ha!) you are paying today’s grey price by not selling.I have the timepiece in one hand and the other hand is the market offering let’s say $50 k, if I refuse the market’s offer of $50 , I paid (didn’t receive my 50 offered for it) the market price for the pleasure of owning. As to what it is worth, we can postulate all day long about it not being worth more than x dollars but the market determines ( whether we agree with price being paid or not) the value. In short if you have one and don’t sell in honesty you have paid market price so my answer is yes to the question. :-)
Seriously, brilliant. Should be the final answer.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:54 PM   #130
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Well, I have a 5711 white and it is one of my favorite pieces and gets the most wrist time.
Would I pay today’s prices? Sorry to tell you, if you have one ( I know you do Ninja, ha!) you are paying today’s grey price by not selling.I have the timepiece in one hand and the other hand is the market offering let’s say $50 k, if I refuse the market’s offer of $50 , I paid (didn’t receive my 50 offered for it) the market price for the pleasure of owning. As to what it is worth, we can postulate all day long about it not being worth more than x dollars but the market determines ( whether we agree with price being paid or not) the value. In short if you have one and don’t sell in honesty you have paid market price so my answer is yes to the question. :-)
Perhaps it is not just simple as that. Maybe there are some sentimental values attached to the watch so you do not want to sell it. Or if you are offered 50k, but you think the market price may rise to 100k, then you do not want to sell it now. So there maybe more factors to consider here.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:25 PM   #131
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Just saying.
I know lots of companies that do their accounting on FIFO but report a non GAAP LIFO gain lol... they do it to padd earnings tho
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:45 PM   #132
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I know lots of companies that do their accounting on FIFO but report a non GAAP LIFO gain lol... they do it to padd earnings tho
I'm not that familiar with US GAAP but I think LIFO is allowable under the US GAAP, and must be consistently applied. Not allowed for IFRS though.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:31 PM   #133
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Perhaps it is not just simple as that. Maybe there are some sentimental values attached to the watch so you do not want to sell it. Or if you are offered 50k, but you think the market price may rise to 100k, then you do not want to sell it now. So there maybe more factors to consider here.
Doesn’t matter why , that wasn’t the question posed . You just proved my point- if you were offered 50K ( which we are bc that seems to be market) and turn it down you just bought it for that piece. Ha!
Old 21 September 2019, 09:37 PM   #134
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with US GAAP but I think LIFO is allowable under the US GAAP, and must be consistently applied. Not allowed for IFRS though.
IFRS changes bringing back on capitalize leases if I remember... ...was this past year... let’s not kid. I have no idea what I’m talking about
Old 21 September 2019, 09:55 PM   #135
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
IFRS changes bringing back on capitalize leases if I remember... ...was this past year... let’s not kid. I have no idea what I’m talking about
Yours is the way of the shuriken.
Old 21 September 2019, 10:35 PM   #136
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lower of cost or market and FIFO/LIFO/AVerage cost can be done at the same time.

Say your accounting convention is FIFO; you will bring in all your Aquanauts at cost but sell them first in first out. However each period if the net realizable value goes below that recorded cost , you have to impair it. That is called the “lower” part of Lower of Cost or Market or “LCM”. Net realizable value is market price less cost to sell.

LCM just prevents people from leaving crap at inflated values on their balance sheet that will be sold at a loss. It makes you take those losses immediately. You have to apply it whether you are using LIFO or FIFO.
Old 21 September 2019, 10:44 PM   #137
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I wouldn’t buy one at $60K

What was the retail price recently? Like $25k? One good recession away from going back to $25k. I will not massively overpay for a “hot” watch. I have a few that were not hot when I bought them, now unobtainable.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:09 PM   #138
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Lower of cost or market and FIFO/LIFO/AVerage cost can be done at the same time.

Say your accounting convention is FIFO; you will bring in all your Aquanauts at cost but sell them first in first out. However each period if the net realizable value goes below that recorded cost , you have to impair it. That is called the “lower” part of Lower of Cost or Market or “LCM”. Net realizable value is market price less cost to sell.

LCM just prevents people from leaving crap at inflated values on their balance sheet that will be sold at a loss. It makes you take those losses immediately. You have to apply it whether you are using LIFO or FIFO.
U threw out too much for me... I’m ur dumb mo guy :)
Old 22 September 2019, 01:41 AM   #139
chmhill
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
USA price is 30'620 USD now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
What was the retail price recently? Like $25k? One good recession away from going back to $25k. I will not massively overpay for a “hot” watch. I have a few that were not hot when I bought them, now unobtainable.
chmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 01:47 AM   #140
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
New at MSRP yes. Used at twice that or more, no way.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #141
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
If you really thought the price was going to $100K, and you didn't own one, why wouldn't you buy one at $50K or $60K. If you own one and believe the market price is going to drop from $60K to the point where you could buy one back at $30K why wouldn't you sell it? Maybe laziness.
In reality, since no one has perfect knowledge of future prices, you hang on to the watch because you believe it's worth owning it at the current price. Which, as James272 points out, is the same as being willing to buy it at that price.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 04:42 AM   #142
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If you really thought the price was going to $100K, and you didn't own one, why wouldn't you buy one at $50K or $60K. If you own one and believe the market price is going to drop from $60K to the point where you could buy one back at $30K why wouldn't you sell it? Maybe laziness.
In reality, since no one has perfect knowledge of future prices, you hang on to the watch because you believe it's worth owning it at the current price. Which, as James272 points out, is the same as being willing to buy it at that price.
Exactly
Old 22 September 2019, 09:49 AM   #143
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If you own one and believe the market price is going to drop from $60K to the point where you could buy one back at $30K why wouldn't you sell it? Maybe laziness.
I did think about this but was lazy to type long. My fingers get tired typing on a mobile phone.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:51 AM   #144
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Not a chance. But you are probably wondering...who the hell is paying the asking prices?

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:23 PM   #145
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

This thread has gone full short bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:20 PM   #146
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Simple question jumps the shark. If ever there was a classic case of a simple question being turned on its head and screwing itself into the ground, this is it. The only question is, do you want the watch? Not whether it’s an investment piece, heirloom, etc. There is no requirement to use advanced geometry or financial models to answer the question.

If you have the money, why not. It's a beautiful watch that has long held cult status for many, and it currently leading the charge in the bubble.

If money was no object, I'd pick up a 5711 or 12 no question. I'd also keep it.

The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 05:36 AM   #147
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
If I had he cash it would because I followed the same principles I follow currently...”Never Over Pay For Anything”!

Besides if I had the cash I would probably be able to have spent enough to earn on at MSRP from and AD...just like I have done with Rolex. JAT
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 05:24 AM   #148
aa909
Banned

No not for a 5711. I'd buy a new 5712r if offered that price but that's not happening in today's market
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 06:22 AM   #149
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
:(

This thread exposed me to my personal endowment effect.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2019, 08:52 PM   #150
pusherv
Banned

H E double hockey sticks NO
pusherv is offline   Reply With Quote