The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2021, 09:54 PM   #31
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I like to trade to buy. Hate digging into savings.

I have the last Aventador ever, the last lambo V12 ever, en route.

I’ll certainly be selling stuff to offset the cost. For sure watches will be some of that stuff.

Oh boy oh boy Seth….this one will blow your mind. Can’t wait to see it and hear your impressions of it. I think a phone call is in order my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:57 PM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I’ll certainly be selling stuff to offset the cost. For sure watches will be some of that stuff.
I truly hope you post an incoming brother. Congratulations in advance
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:57 PM   #33
1st amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
QUESTION: For those wanting the Ferrari or whatever car, how many of you have / would increase you driving skills while tracking the car? Increase your skill while taking the car near the limits on a proper road course track.

Yes sir! Track all my cars and my current 812SF has seen the track only once this year. Impressive speed and tracking capabilities for a front/mid engine V12. Though it scared the $hit out of me a couple of times.

Old 17 November 2021, 09:58 PM   #34
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Why not do it. Your passion is with cars and watches but it is also about balance. I would go to the next step and see what your watches are worth if sold and what the car can be purchased for. Make an informed decision.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:03 PM   #35
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Swapping watches for Ferrari’s?

As others have said….if the enjoyment will be worth it to you….then it’s worth it! To be specific personally….I’ve done it, but it seems my watch collection typically builds back up after trading some away.
I actually have an inkling right now for another F car, this time though I’d look at a classic.
I mean….a certain Daytona in my possession for this….? And still have a few Rolex leftover ….it’s tempting me for sure.
I know your dilemma/passion, it’s a good thing to have such choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:39 PM   #36
rmlovett1

Quote:

Can’t wait to see this one! Your anticipation/excitement has to be a thrilling and patience testing ride right now
Happy for you!
Old 17 November 2021, 10:52 PM   #37
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
I hear you. It wouldn't be an option if the watch market wasn't out of its mind
Well just to be the devil's advocate, you are trading the watch market which is out of its mind for the car market which is even more out of its mind.

Having said that, personally, I would sell the watches you don't want. Hold that cash for a bit and when supply and the car market cools down (not that it will ever cool completely) take advantage and buy then. Meanwhile enjoy the huge gains on the crazy watch market and drive the GT3.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:57 PM   #38
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Correct both markets are hot but F12 prices that I’m seeing are up 15-20% from pre-covid levels. Some of these watches are at 2x+ what I paid
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:08 PM   #39
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
As others have said….if the enjoyment will be worth it to you….then it’s worth it! To be specific personally….I’ve done it, but it seems my watch collection typically builds back up after trading some away.
I actually have an inkling right now for another F car, this time though I’d look at a classic.
I mean….a certain Daytona in my possession for this….? And still have a few Rolex leftover ….it’s tempting me for sure.
I know your dilemma/passion, it’s a good thing to have such choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful example. Which Daytona?
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
Old 17 November 2021, 11:11 PM   #40
rmlovett1

Quote:
Beautiful example. Which Daytona?
Have a couple, but the platinum would would pay for this car , maybe even a bit leftover. That particular watch value went nuts this year. Although not sure I can part with that watch…it’s so good
Old 18 November 2021, 12:29 AM   #41
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Have a couple, but the platinum would would pay for this car , maybe even a bit leftover. That particular watch value went nuts this year. Although not sure I can part with that watch…it’s so good
Yeah I remember that watch sitting on display cases all over as recently as a couple years ago. I agree thought hat is the daddy of Daytona's and would probably keep that one and part with others if you had to.
Old 18 November 2021, 06:03 AM   #42
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
If this helps to put it into context - I learned how to read from the car magazines my father would bring back from airports after his business trips. He ended up getting me subscriptions to MT, C&D, R&T and Automobile and at one point I had amassed a collection of over 1,000 magazines. I memorized every 0-60, 1/4 mile, Braking, slalom and MSRP that I could. Cars are my undisputed #1 passion for as long as I can remember anything and the fire has never stopped burning.

I currently have a 991 GT3 in a paint to sample color, and while for a car guy like me a Ferrari is the pinnacle, I can’t bring myself to ever sell this car and adding an F car on top of everything else feels wholly irresponsible.

So that brings me to my random musing today…
Based on this, if I were you, I would get the car. Owning a Ferrari can not be any more wholly irresponsible than having Ferrari money tied up in too many watches to wear. Irresponsible left the building a long time ago. Now it’s time to let your passion guide you.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 06:21 AM   #43
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Well just to be the devil's advocate, you are trading the watch market which is out of its mind for the car market which is even more out of its mind.

Having said that, personally, I would sell the watches you don't want. Hold that cash for a bit and when supply and the car market cools down (not that it will ever cool completely) take advantage and buy then. Meanwhile enjoy the huge gains on the crazy watch market and drive the GT3.
I’m not confident cash isn’t going to keep becoming more and more worthless… so just a thought. When goods and the economy crash I don’t see inflation reversing either. We’ll just keep on in stagflation maybe. No easy way out of this mess.

I think the platona is much more overpriced than any car right now, and I just bought a 997 turbo so I’ve seen some crazy increases lol.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 06:39 AM   #44
strettyend
"TRF" Member

I'm going to check one out this weekend. Have never been in / driven a V12 one, only a 458 on track. I generally do a lot of due diligence before making big financial decisions so I have some time to figure out what I want to do
Old 18 November 2021, 06:43 AM   #45
Ballzzz

Quote:
I'm going to check one out this weekend. Have never been in / driven a V12 one, only a 458 on track. I generally do a lot of due diligence before making big financial decisions so I have some time to figure out what I want to do
Good Luck, Miller by chance?
Old 18 November 2021, 06:44 AM   #46
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Look at it this way. They are building many more of those watches each and every day. Those are modern pieces and they are rolling out the door, every day of the week. If you really really wanted to get one back, you easily could for the right price.

On the flip side, unless Ferrari goes back and retools to produce a "heritage" line, they aren't making any more of those and back when they did, the numbers were already limited.

I think you answered your own question.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 06:46 AM   #47
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Good Luck, Miller by chance?
No probably Ferrari of Central Jersey. Not the spec I would want but good enough to kick the tires. I don't think Miller has any and inventory is very light in general around here.
Old 18 November 2021, 06:54 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
If this helps to put it into context - I learned how to read from the car magazines my father would bring back from airports after his business trips. He ended up getting me subscriptions to MT, C&D, R&T and Automobile and at one point I had amassed a collection of over 1,000 magazines. I memorized every 0-60, 1/4 mile, Braking, slalom and MSRP that I could. Cars are my undisputed #1 passion for as long as I can remember anything and the fire has never stopped burning.

I currently have a 991 GT3 in a paint to sample color, and while for a car guy like me a Ferrari is the pinnacle, I can’t bring myself to ever sell this car and adding an F car on top of everything else feels wholly irresponsible.

So that brings me to my random musing today…
Maybe a bunch of track days might be the answer, can hold onto your GT3 and most of your watches too.

Don't know if you have an OT season ticket but I'd sell that as well until we get a new manager... all I've been saying for weeks is... he's gone... Conte's gone...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 07:47 AM   #49
1st amg

Quote:
The V12 is Ferrari. Coming from a 458 myself, I can tell you there is noooo comparison. The sound that V12 makes is euphoric. The power is frightening but addictive. These cars are no more. They are going up in value and will continue to do so. I would also recommend you buy through a Ferrari dealer as they can throw in a OEM power warranty for a few years. Very important. Good luck...PM me if you want as I have been through this a few times with Ferrari.
Old 18 November 2021, 07:52 AM   #50
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I thought about it, then my wife said no
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 08:16 AM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Yes sir! Track all my cars and my current 812SF has seen the track only once this year. Impressive speed and tracking capabilities for a front/mid engine V12. Though it scared the $hit out of me a couple of times.
Ah yes, those pucker moments.

Keep the shiny side up
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 08:26 AM   #52
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The V12 is Ferrari. Coming from a 458 myself, I can tell you there is noooo comparison. The sound that V12 makes is euphoric. The power is frightening but addictive. These cars are no more. They are going up in value and will continue to do so. I would also recommend you buy through a Ferrari dealer as they can throw in a OEM power warranty for a few years. Very important. Good luck...PM me if you want as I have been through this a few times with Ferrari.
I'd really like a ride Nick. Front engine V12 is intriguing. I've had a ride at speed in a 458 at Tremblant. It was impressive.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 08:57 AM   #53
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Maybe a bunch of track days might be the answer, can hold onto your GT3 and most of your watches too.

Don't know if you have an OT season ticket but I'd sell that as well until we get a new manager... all I've been saying for weeks is... he's gone... Conte's gone...
It's been an incredibly disappointing season especially given the tools at his disposal. We need a change ASAP

Quote:
I would definitely only purchase through a Ferrari dealer. The salesman I inquired with told me a 2 year warranty runs $6.7k - not sure if this is market or not.

I appreciate that and might take you up on the offer. How is the 812 (this thread needs more pics of it btw)??
Old 18 November 2021, 09:16 AM   #54
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No probably Ferrari of Central Jersey. Not the spec I would want but good enough to kick the tires. I don't think Miller has any and inventory is very light in general around here.
Can you tell Tetyana I said hi and to return my phone call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHbuvVqb4MM
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 10:29 AM   #55
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
Based on this, if I were you, I would get the car. Owning a Ferrari can not be any more wholly irresponsible than having Ferrari money tied up in too many watches to wear. Irresponsible left the building a long time ago. Now it’s time to let your passion guide you.
100% agree, you should have a Ferrari (at least) once in your life.

With that said, please kindly allow me to take a moment to enlighten you about public roadways and the 'Blue Light Special'. If God ever made a car that seduced man to test the laws of physics, its name would be Ferrari.

PS: Driveway thread people, this is the driveway.

front_diag_big.jpg

side_sm.jpg

top_diag.jpg

door_open.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 18 November 2021, 10:47 AM   #56
1st amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I'd really like a ride Nick. Front engine V12 is intriguing. I've had a ride at speed in a 458 at Tremblant. It was impressive.

You got it Chris!! It would be my pleasure…love to hear the impressions from car lovers

Old 18 November 2021, 10:53 AM   #57
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
100% agree, you should have a Ferrari (at least) once in your life.

With that said, please kindly allow me to take a moment to enlighten you about public roadways and the 'Blue Light Special'. If God ever made a car that seduced man to test the laws of physics, its name would be Ferrari.

PS: Driveway thread people, this is the driveway.

Attachment 1255725

Attachment 1255726

Attachment 1255727

Attachment 1255728
Is that spoiler factory?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 11:02 AM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You should do it 100 percent.

I sold some watches and picked up a 992 right when covid hit. I had no regrets. A Ferrari even better.
Old 18 November 2021, 11:13 AM   #59
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Is that spoiler factory?
Front yes, far rear wing no. I tracked the living .... out of it. Many mods.

It is a 1985 Euro-spec 308QV. So the ignition box and grind are more 'agressive' than the USA version. Also, the rear engine cover is less open (fully split), plus and front headlight slats match the car paint color. There's more.... I turned wrenches on her quite a bit with the generous help of far more talented friends.

2700 lbs wet with driver, and still slower than a modern Miata LOL

But WOW she sounded sooooo erotic. Like this, only you're IN the car, not behind it. He was faster than me so was offering the point-by. Did not realize he wanted to record the car. More videos at http://enjoythetrack.com/video/

Old 18 November 2021, 11:20 AM   #60
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You should do it 100 percent.

I sold some watches and picked up a 992 right when covid hit. I had no regrets. A Ferrari even better.

What did you sell and what stayed?