The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
H558 for Daily Use

A while back, I solicited opinions here about the H558 as a daily wear watch, given it being vintage. There was little response, so I thought I would post my 2 cents here after wearing for about a month now.

I am someone who uses my watches, still as tools and frequently as part of my job which requires me timing things and tracking time often. My cell phone which is bulky and heavy in my pocket frequently gets left at home or is not with me. I have had the watch on me for about a month. I dress for work, typically business casual and the black watch fits in with that. Its smaller than the new SNJ025. The crown, lug to lug, thickness, and diameter are all smaller. Its about as thin as my rolex sub, and slides under the cuff with ease. The lug to lug length is also shorter than my sub as well. So while its less versatile from a style perspective, it can blend in with business casual wear. The new SNJ025 is beefier and gives off a gshock vibe due to that.

The watch has been fantastic, as I use the bezel many times per day, the chrono, and having the date is key for me with a daily watch. The date is some kind of perpetual calendar, in that It accounts for the months with 30 or 31 days (though not likely to account for leap year). This made it easy for me to pick up and wear, and required no setting on my part today. My only complaint is the lume, but I like the almond appearance, but could have it re-lumed if I wanted.

Despite my reservations, I am not one to pamper my watches and the watch has been put through the paces, I have worn it at work, but also playing soccer, basketball, baseball, and cycling. That said, I do worry as unlike my sub, the H558 would be harder to source parts for if it broke. What I can say that it has been tested. In playing soccer with my son (with me as goal keeper) he kicked one, hard my way, with me blocking the goal. I came up, and noticed the watch was laying on the ground face down. The blow apparently so hard, the springbar on the strap popped off. Fearing the worse, I winced as I picked it up and much to my surprise, all in working order just as it had been earlier. Using my swiss army knife, popped it back on and continued with the game.

I recall a thread about the H558 a while back and someone mentioned that they felt the SNJ025 was better quality. I own both, and do not feel that way. The quality of the materials and the construction are almost identical. The exception being the increased water resistance (and thickness) of the SNJ025 as well as the size. The screw down pushers may offer added protection against the buttons being pushed under water. However, the H558 buttons are not pressed easily, and takes some force to engage. I do like the solar aspect in the SNJ025, but for someone with a small wrist at 6.5 inches, the H558 especially for daily wear is more versatile and I can say, will stand up to daily use.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 09:43 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good review on a cool watch. Some pictures would be nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Good review on a cool watch. Some pictures would be nice.

Here you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2021, 06:21 AM   #4
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Killer watch. Parts are horrible to locate if needed.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:33 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thanks.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Killer watch. Parts are horrible to locate if needed.
Yes, I mean there are some parts on ebay, but if things really hit the fan would need to source a donor movement, but I could not not pass it up. Im still hoping they release a 40th anniversary version with proportions more inline with the original. However, my guess is that the thickness and size may be related to the solar movement and may be little that can be done about that if they want to use the solar movement.