The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 11:18 PM   #1
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

My First Rolex (SS GMT Master II)

Hi,

I bought by first Rolex last week, and i'm over the moon with it (unfortunately the forum won't allow me to upload photos until I have 10 posts, so I will do so when I reach that, thanks).

My daily up until now and for the last 5 years has been a Breitling Navitimer GMT (48mm). I have always been a huge fan of Navitimers since I was a kid, and no other watch appealed to me until 6 months ago.

I always felt that most Rolex watches were too plain in terms of dials (chronographs), etc lol, but quickly learned about the history, innovation and everything else that comes with a Rolex.

I have been on a 6 month waiting list for a 'Stainless Steel GMT Master II with black face and bexel', and it arrived last week.

At first it felt very small on my wrist but now it feels natural, and I can't stop staring at it.

I have a few newbie questions which I hope you can help me with... please bare with me on the silly ones:

QUESTIONS

01 - i'm going on holidays soon, and this will be my first waterproof watch in a long time... and while I understand it is fully waterproof, is it really ok to go swimming in a pool or sea... or can it tarnish the steel etc (i.e - do most people tend to avoid putting them in a swimming pool or sea)?

02 - how many times should you turn the dial to wind the watch up when it's dead, and is it better to wind it clockwise or anti clockwise?

03 - am i right in saying that you can also use the GMT hand to set the 24hr time, instead of another time?

04 - i understand these watches are quite solid, but do you have any advice on maintaining the watch?

05 - easy link: when i have the easy link at the smaller size, it clips in... but at the larger size it doesn't clip in anywhere... is that natural?

06 - do many of you bother to set the date, as i'm sure it is annoying at the end of the month to have to adjust it based on the month (30 vs 31 days, etc)

07 - any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help.
oo7ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:43 PM   #2
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
Hi,

I bought by first Rolex last week, and i'm over the moon with it (unfortunately the forum won't allow me to upload photos until I have 10 posts, so I will do so when I reach that, thanks).

My daily up until now and for the last 5 years has been a Breitling Navitimer GMT (48mm). I have always been a huge fan of Navitimers since I was a kid, and no other watch appealed to me until 6 months ago.

I always felt that most Rolex watches were too plain in terms of dials (chronographs), etc lol, but quickly learned about the history, innovation and everything else that comes with a Rolex.

I have been on a 6 month waiting list for a 'Stainless Steel GMT Master II with black face and bexel', and it arrived last week.

At first it felt very small on my wrist but now it feels natural, and I can't stop staring at it.

I have a few newbie questions which I hope you can help me with... please bare with me on the silly ones:

QUESTIONS

01 - i'm going on holidays soon, and this will be my first waterproof watch in a long time... and while I understand it is fully waterproof, is it really ok to go swimming in a pool or sea... or can it tarnish the steel etc (i.e - do most people tend to avoid putting them in a swimming pool or sea)?

02 - how many times should you turn the dial to wind the watch up when it's dead, and is it better to wind it clockwise or anti clockwise?

03 - am i right in saying that you can also use the GMT hand to set the 24hr time, instead of another time?

04 - i understand these watches are quite solid, but do you have any advice on maintaining the watch?

05 - easy link: when i have the easy link at the smaller size, it clips in... but at the larger size it doesn't clip in anywhere... is that natural?

06 - do many of you bother to set the date, as i'm sure it is annoying at the end of the month to have to adjust it based on the month (30 vs 31 days, etc)

07 - any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help.

01. water with minerals will tarnish metal if kept overtime. Just rinse it with bottled water after a swim. Maybe try not to swim with it. But no harm in doing so.
02. 40 turns clockwise should be ok. I don't think it works anti-clockwise.
03.24hr hand can be used to show time in 24 hr format for sure.
04. Solid yes, indestructible no. Your mind will automatically be careful.
05. Yes
06. For some it bothers not to set date. I do it when i use it.
07. Dont get too worried about using the watch and just keep an eye on it
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:59 PM   #3
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

Great, thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:46 AM   #4
Mattewlaird
Banned

Rolex is always good to go.
Mattewlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:10 AM   #5
HarlyFan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub
Just wear it and enjoy it!!!
HarlyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:15 AM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Congrats on your new GMT

I do set the date on my Sub because it would bother me to have the wrong date on it.

As I daily my Sub, I never really unscrew the crown to wind or set the time other than when I change the date. So, I actually find this to be enjoyable

But, that's just me.

Congrats again

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:28 AM   #7
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
Fabulous choice.
I've worn a GMT every day of my life since 1974. No rust. None on my Rolex either!
There's no such thing as a silly question here....just silly answers!
Looking forward to some pix.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:47 AM   #8
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for all of the advice and help. Looking forward to being able to post pics when I get to 10 posts :-)
Old 23 March 2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats and those worries will leave over time and of course with a bit of knowledge.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote