The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 July 2017, 03:19 AM   #1
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Casio G shock G-Steel

I have always loved g shocks since I first saw one in a catalog around six years old, at seven I bought my first which I just lost a year ago or so. I have a rangeman and I added a g steel as an everyday/bay/boat watch.

The watch is much better finished than imagined however the hands are somewhat disappointing. They are lumed but there is no second hand and the hands themselves are a bit rough.

The bracelet is fairly standard fare steel. The four buttons push well. There is no crown.

The case is interesting because it is huge but seemingly purposefully huge. There is a steel bezel and then a resin bezelb there is a stainless steel back around a resin matrix.

The subdials and dial are bice and blend well. It features tough solar but not ubiquitously radio controlled which I would think they would need at the price point. I was considering the MTG which did have radio control but lacked across the line an LED illumination light. The MTG is a very similar size of approximately 59 mm. The LED light is great and there is a stop watch, countdown timer, world time that can quickly set as home time, 82 year calendar with month day date and five alarms.

The solar battery is fairly standard g shock which is a ten year life with about 8 months of total darkness use.

I am somewhat torn on the watch and may return it because of its massive size. The lugs dont overhang but the 59mm width and 16 mm depth is visually very different than what I am used to and the watch is slightly top heavy. It can't be an everyday watch for me because of the size, but I am debating if I will keep it for a bay watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (72.2 KB, 336 views)
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 04:24 AM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have the MTG and it does have a LED light contrary with what you stated. It even fades when going off. Do like the watch because of its bolts and nuts look, it's tough as nails and with the combined GPS/Radio signal very accurate.
It's big but wears quite well.
Not impressed with the overall finish, rather poor if compared to any Seiko Astron with similar specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L001.JPG (253.0 KB, 316 views)
Old 13 July 2017, 03:04 PM   #3
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I have the MTG and it does have a LED light contrary with what you stated. It even fades when going off. Do like the watch because of its bolts and nuts look, it's tough as nails and with the combined GPS/Radio signal very accurate.
It's big but wears quite well.
Not impressed with the overall finish, rather poor if compared to any Seiko Astron with similar specs.
Thanks for your response. I didn't mean to state no MTGs have LED light, but there are some that do not have LED lights. You have a higher end version with the GPS, the radio only version doesn't have LED AFAIK.

BTW great watch! Have not gotten into seiko yet but have been thinking about a diver.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 08:49 AM   #4
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I really like the G Steel

I am keeping my eyes open for the GSTS310 version, which is a little smaller in size and easier for my small wrist to handle.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice piece
Old 21 July 2017, 09:00 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the G-Shocks.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 05:33 PM   #7
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have the rangeman but the altimeter, barometer, are always wrong.

the only ones that are accurate are the thermometer and compass
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote