The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 March 2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Michael M.
Banned

BEWARE: Impersonator has been claiming to be Michael Morgan/Iconic Watch Company

Please beware of a person using an email similar to mine attempting to impersonate me (Michael Morgan at Iconic Watch Company).

This just came to my attention this afternoon after a customer emailed and messaged me over Instagram insisting that I send him the tracking number for a watch that he had committed to buy from me a week earlier. I found this strange, as I had just emailed him the previous evening telling him that I had not received his wire transfer yet. I took some time to read the email conversation below his email and discovered that he was corresponding with an impersonator and NOT me.

Last week my client emailed me regarding a 5512 Submariner I had listed on the coming soon page on my website. After emailing him pictures and details, he agreed to purchase the watch. I immediately followed up with my client attaching my bank wiring instructions. It was at this point that the perpetrator emailed my client from a false email sending new wiring instructions stating that "I forgot that our LLC account was not to be used for the next 21 days as order by the bank, it's going through a tax audit at the moment." The new account information provided was for an account at Capital One Bank under the name of "Construct Ventures". Between then and today the perpetrator and my client have been corresponding. The company "Construct Ventures" appears to be held in Nigeria upon a quick Google search.

Clarification: My client's email was hacked, not mine. It appears as if the perpetrator hacked my client's email and consequently created an email similar to mine to pull off the scam.

The email address being used by the perpetrator is sales@iconicwatchcompEny.com

Notice the incorrect spelling of the word "company" with an E instead of an A.

The ONLY email addresses that I use are the following.

sales@iconicwatchcompAny.com
michael@iconicwatchcompAny.com

and michaelm88@cox.net for TRF/VRF/VRM.

In addition, the name of my company is Iconic Watch Company, LLC.

Do NOT wire any other company or individual.

Please beware and if you have ANY doubt whatsoever please email me at an alternate email address to verify. This is a terrible situation for my client and myself and I do not want to see anyone else fall victim to this scam.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:38 AM   #2
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Sorry to hear about this Michael for both you and the client and a good reminder to always double check. I had this exact same thing happen to me a year or so back with an Explorer. Luckily the gentleman received his money back, but it was after months of work. Scammers are getting very very good now days!