The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 01:36 AM   #31
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Love it when I hear “make more Rolex watches and lower the price!”. Sure......if I could walk into any AD and pick up what I want anytime I wanted......I’d get bored very fast....plus, who wants mass produced cheap watches?

That forum is over there>>>
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:43 AM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
This is the way Rolex has always been. Slow updates to existing references. It's what makes them unique. Do you want a watered down set of references. It's difficult to get the few we have now.
If the idea is to buy some new watch every year from a buffet of watches, then you are better off with Omega or Blancpain or Breitling, or go upscale with AP.
But if you want a solid lifetime watch then get a Rolex. It's only now in the social media world that we have this frenzy and desire for "more".

With the exception of the supply shortage whatever the reason is, I'm more in love with Rolex than ever before. My favorite watch company by far.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:49 AM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This happens every year after Baselworld...
^^^ This is a fact. I remember the same temper tantrums and “I give up” threads. It happens every year and it may be because Rolex is not a cell phone company delivering cool new products to impress the self entitled generation that demands it every year. I came to the realization a decade ago that unlike most products, Rolex doesn’t care what I think or even if I buy their new watch. Rolex is more than a product and is a force unrivaled in the industry. They know what their doing well beyond any of their customers unsolicited advice. You either sit back and enjoy their vision or buy something else and piss off. As tough of a pill it is to swallow, Rolex doesn’t need your money. There are thousands more waiting for you to get out of line to buy a new Rolex.

Rolex and maybe my Porsche 911 (as a far second) are the only two products I own that are the top of their game enough they don’t really need my business. Ferrari has the same arrogant view of their customers.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:51 AM   #34
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^^ This is a fact. I remember the same temper tantrums and “I give up” threads. It happens every year and it may be because Rolex is not a cell phone company delivering cool new products to impress the self entitled generation that demands it every year.
Agreed. Rolex should slow down its new watches tbh.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:07 AM   #35
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I like the Tudor Pepsi GMT at 66% off the Rolex Pepsi GMT.
I like the old Rolex GMT Pepsi, and if I ever want one there's one at 66% of the new ceramic which has been in my jewellers window for 8 months now.

The new one is getting the hype as it's new, but it's still oversize, font too large, costly bezel, no interchangeability.

I've had two Rolexes, with one in the safe, but now I'm down to just my DJ41 I feel complete.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:07 AM   #36
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This happens every year after Baselworld...

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:18 AM   #37
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We forum veterans probably should have started a new thread as a “support group” to help those understand what they are feeling after each Basel and how to put those feelings in contex with the grand scheme of Rolex ownership.

“As far as Rolex is concerned, Rolex dominates its number 1 placement in the industry and every other company is a first place loser that will gladly sell you one of those watches if you don’t want to wait in line for ours.”.
Old 23 March 2018, 02:22 AM   #38
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We forum veterans probably should have started a new thread as a “support group” to help those understand what they are feeling after each Basel and how to put those feelings in contex with the grand scheme of Rolex ownership.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.5 KB, 124 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:25 AM   #39
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post

OMG, note the Casio on the wrist.
Old 23 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #40
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OMG, note the Casio on the wrist.
Old 23 March 2018, 02:29 AM   #41
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This is another year where nothing seems new or of interest to me. Maybe I expect too much.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:40 AM   #42
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Last year all my wants where met , with the fully remodelled SD43 and still in the honeymoon faze I’m very much in love . It still remains to be the only fully reworked watch in two/three years so next year should be amazing and keeps me interested .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #43
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Still love the brand but the headache of getting these SS watches is not helping altho it makes the forum a lot more lively. I won't have more than one SS Rolex now and the LVc is happily taking that space so I'm cool.
I’m with you Neil, 1 SS at the moment, looking at more PM Rolex if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's good to be content. If you've got two great watches you love, why go in any direction at all?
Absolutely

Quote:
I went through a Rolex cooling off 10 years ago. It gave me some time to focus on other brands to add with my Rolex watches. Not being brand centric keeps it fresh and is more interesting.
Agree...I am at that stage now, not so much cooling off, but buying another brand recently has kept things interesting. A real eye opener, and I’m really enjoying the level that PP has brought.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:22 AM   #44
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I ditched all my Rolex for a few PP.

Im still after a 116500, after I acquire that Rolex can go to hell LOL
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:39 AM   #45
maxiboy60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I think what you dislike about Rolex is precisely what I love. I also would argue that there is no design direction, and what I mean by that, is the Rolex design direction has always been the same since it was founded: small, incremental changes to make the original better. If for example you look at the new SS Pepsi, it is the same as the one made 50 years ago, but with a stronger case, better steel, better jubilee bracelet, better movement, scratch résistent ceramic bezel, etc... but the overall design is the same. With Rolex, it is always about “how can we make the last iteration:better”.
Completely agree with this, it's exactly what drew me to the 16610 in the first place.

Perhaps it's the recent changes that are putting me off as I find they are taking the designs away from 50 year old designs that we all know so well (Submariner - maxi case, Seadweller - cyclops, GMT - purple/blue insert).

I think I may just have to save away for a 1675...
maxiboy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:12 AM   #46
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Think the problem is really excessive pre-Basel world enthusiast expectations and the over-heated hype about assumed and collector-pleasing new models. Look at the build up about a Coke SS GMT being released and the intense scrutiny of the Rolex jubilee teaser, it was like the CIA was studying photos to attempt to locate North Korean missile silos.

Let down and disappointment is pretty natural considering Rolex is a conservative company that marches to its own beat. 2018 was OK, some nice things. Spectacular? If that means contacting my AD to be put on waiting lists for multiple models, the answer is resoundingly no.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:16 AM   #47
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiboy60 View Post
I bought my 16610 sub in '08 and added a 114270 Explorer in '16. I can hand on heart say that no watches in the current Rolex stable interest me and have been rather disappointed with the Baselword '18 offering. Maybe that is a good thing given that I would have to wait years to acquire one of the new models if I did have interest.

Given the design direction, the supply issues and the price increases (vintage and new) of 2018 Rolex I am seriously wondering if I will add another to my collection again (tough life I know!).

From what I've read since yesterday I suspect many may feel the same. If that is the case what direction will your collection go in - Tudor, Omega, AP?
The issues about the supply issues and price increases that you expressed (to me) mean that Rolex has you right where they want you... Their metaphorical hand is slowly reaching into your pocket to grab your wallet. You will be making another purchase before you know it.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:25 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yacht-Master hitting the road, Neil? I like the blue dial. Beautiful watch.
I loved it but sold that one last year. Maybe I mean ceramic because I still think about a DJ41 rhodium.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:28 AM   #49
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Omega isn’t an option really. They’re figuring out how to sell Speedmasters at Daytona prices and some of the 3500 (lol) limited pieces are semi hard to get.
I would never jump on that bandwagon...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:31 AM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I loved it but sold that one last year. Maybe I mean ceramic because I still think about a DJ41 rhodium.
That's a beautiful reference too. Waiting the incoming thread my friend.
Old 23 March 2018, 04:32 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Agree...I am at that stage now, not so much cooling off, but buying another brand recently has kept things interesting. A real eye opener, and I’m really enjoying the level that PP has brought.
I think for us who are looking at PM and PP and AP, it's easier to let go of the SS circus, but for those in it, and that includes a lot of Omega, Breitling, IWC guys who are attracted over to all the hype and rising prices, it must be disheartening, and demoralising if they are newbies into Rolex.
Old 23 March 2018, 04:33 AM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How about you? Anything tempting you from your subs?
Old 23 March 2018, 04:34 AM   #53
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Me too.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:46 AM   #54
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How about you? Anything tempting you from your subs?
Thanks for asking buddy. After the 5 digit Sub I'm living a different moment for many reasons. My last watch was a vintage Omega so I think this is the way I'm moving for now and I hope it lasts, but things can change quickly in our hobby.
Old 23 March 2018, 04:52 AM   #55
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
I'm a relative newcomer to the world of Rolex, and this was the first Baselworld since I knew what that was. But in keeping with the "falling out of love" theme, I'm in the "hopeless romantic" category. The games, the hype, and the mystique are what keep me interested. Yesterday I passed up a TT GMT because ultimately who cares? If I change my mind, I'll go back and get it. It is a fantastic, substantial, beautiful watch. But there's no cat and mouse. To maintain this psychological advantage and exclusiveness, Rolex would have to either raise prices even further beyond ridiculousness or continue to limit supplies.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:00 AM   #56
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Been at this 30 years.. 1988 fell in love with Rolex, living in Europe though, obtaining ss professionals was always very hard. I would periodically get discouraged, stray (multiple Tudor, several Omega, Breitling, Breguet, Vacheron, Cartier, A Silberstein, G Genta, one PP nautilus and one AP Royal Oak just to name a few) only to go back to that first love.. They are hard to get (that's why I go grey and pay a premium) but at this point, Rolex is the only brand that gets my attention (and keeps it!).. Been there, done that, not going back!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:15 AM   #57
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
It really is the supply issues that concern me.
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:21 AM   #58
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
There's only one watch I'm interested in at the moment, the steel Pepsi. I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes, I've been told two years, fine, so be it, no rush. Plenty of time to think about it and I might even change my mind by then as there are two BaselWorld editions to go through till then. I thought about a DJ41 at some point but not anymore. An OP39 in olive green would have been nice but no, Rolex had the brilliant idea to come up with a black dial and a white dial, how innovative..

The watch I really lust after doesn't exist. It's the Daytona 116519LN (grey panda dial) albeit in steel and in a 42mm case, ideally two subdials only but three is alright. I won't settle for any other Daytona. If it doesn't happen, fine.

I've kind of reached a plateau and nothing else really excites me across other brands either (Omega, Breitling, JLC, , VC, PP, you name it). I have enough watches to enjoy for the rest of my life, too many in fact.

Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow but for now I'll enjoy what I have.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:21 AM   #59
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

To the OP, I think the opposite. This is an awesome time to be a Rolex fan. The supply issue does suck but I think that’s just part of the allure. Not everyone is going to have these watches and that’s what makes them so special.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:42 AM   #60
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
I think for us who are looking at PM and PP and AP, it's easier to let go of the SS circus, but for those in it, and that includes a lot of Omega, Breitling, IWC guys who are attracted over to all the hype and rising prices, it must be disheartening, and demoralising if they are newbies into Rolex.
Agreed
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote