The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 May 2012, 05:07 AM   #1
GMTGuy1675
Banned

Watch: vintage Rolex GMT
first Rolex - '65 GMT Master pepsi

Hi all-

Love the forum and info here. I posted about my introduction into the Rolex world in the "new member" section a few days ago, and typed up a bunch of specifics regarding the watch. Here's the link to that, so I don't have to retype too much. A couple of pics included here (not sure why the watch looks dusty or something in the second one..it's actually really clear).

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=234135

Curious about opinions from those in the know here, as I am a rookie. What type of crown guards are these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 056a.jpg (188.8 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg 077a.jpg (78.0 KB, 728 views)
GMTGuy1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 05:19 AM   #2
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Nice watch, pointed crown guards (PCGs) and small 24 hr hand. Looks like the hands were changed at a service. Love the rivet bracelet. Enjoy
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 05:30 AM   #3
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
That's a good 1st one
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 05:30 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
It's square ones. Lovely watch. I have a similar which is a tad bit later, 1.5 mil

Enjoy it in good health.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Very nice. I'm still in search of my first vintage ROlex.
Old 21 May 2012, 06:07 AM   #6
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Yep, square guards but the case looks good.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 06:15 AM   #7
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Congratulations on your purchase!

Do you have a clearer photo of the dial? It looks like you have a Mk-2 dial, which was around 68-69.

Are you sure of the year of production (1965)? What is the partial year production?

I love that small 24 hour hand!!!!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 07:49 AM   #8
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Wow, couldn't tell from that angle
Old 21 May 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Paksent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Wow love it and great first move, took me quite a bit more in between to get what I liked and even now who knows! Congrats
Paksent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
GMTGuy1675
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Congratulations on your purchase!

Do you have a clearer photo of the dial? It looks like you have a Mk-2 dial, which was around 68-69.

Are you sure of the year of production (1965)? What is the partial year production?

I love that small 24 hour hand!!!!
Thanks, and I'll try to get a clearer, closer shot of the dial up.

I am sure of the year of production. II.65 and 129**** serial number.
Old 21 May 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
upstater
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603 Datejust
Great catch there! Enjoy it!
upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 11:44 AM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice GMT!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats on a wonderful piece! Welcome to TRF!!
Old 21 May 2012, 10:48 PM   #14
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTGuy1675 View Post
Thanks, and I'll try to get a clearer, closer shot of the dial up.

I am sure of the year of production. II.65 and 129**** serial number.
I checked out the pics at work and the resolution on this computer is much better. I need a new computer!

Your dial is proper for a '65, which happens to be a gilt dial!

Old 22 May 2012, 07:49 AM   #15
GMTGuy1675
Banned

I appreciate all of the kind responses here. Now I'm looking at older threads in the forum re:traveling with a nice Rolex. I am suspicious of the TSA and would freak out if something happened to this watch or it went "missing" at an airport.

A couple of quick questions: Considering that this watch is from 1965, is it still safe to expose to water? I wouldn't be diving or anything like that, but want peace of mind should it get some splashes on it (or much more likely RAIN where I live.)

I was told that STEAM is the enemy of watches, and to avoid it being near a hot tub or shower. True?

I read a website where a guy had instructions for weekly cleaning the watch with basically mild soap/warm water/soft toothbrush. Is that okay or a bad idea?

Am I risking my health wearing this thing around? I'm a pretty big dude, but the economy sucks and people are crazy. I don't want to get my arm cut off or anything. Thoughts?

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:52 AM   #16
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
I appreciate all of the kind responses here. Now I'm looking at older threads in the forum re:traveling with a nice Rolex. I am suspicious of the TSA and would freak out if something happened to this watch or it went "missing" at an airport.

A couple of quick questions: Considering that this watch is from 1965, is it still safe to expose to water? I wouldn't be diving or anything like that, but want peace of mind should it get some splashes on it (or much more likely RAIN where I live.)

I was told that STEAM is the enemy of watches, and to avoid it being near a hot tub or shower. True?

I read a website where a guy had instructions for weekly cleaning the watch with basically mild soap/warm water/soft toothbrush. Is that okay or a bad idea?

Am I risking my health wearing this thing around? I'm a pretty big dude, but the economy sucks and people are crazy. I don't want to get my arm cut off or anything. Thoughts?

Thanks again, everyone.
I fly 2 to 4 times a week and never had to remove my Rollie for TSA. A few times I have had them examine the watch on my wrist.

As far as the waterproofing. I would take it to a reputable watch maker and have them replace all of the gaskets and maybe even pressure test the case unless you can prove when the last time this was done.

Alternatively you could just dunk it and see what happens but I wouldn't recommend it, that GMT is too sweeeet!!

I would wear and not worry about it!! Hate to say it but in my experience nobody notices a Rolex unless it's a blinged out DD or a Sub. I have worn my Expy 2 just about everywhere and never even had anyone look at it.

Nice watch!!! Enjoy!!!!
jhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 08:53 AM   #17
TimeToGo

You could have a watchmaker check the water pressure on the watch. Even if it did not pass, you would be safe with a splash of water, that is a simple peace of mind.

If you had the watch opened, check the caseback and case for pitting, this may give you an idea that the watch may pass under high pressure but fail in low pressure. If you have this done, have the gaskets replaced.

If you are a pretty big dude, I would hide my watch from you - not the other way around.

Wear the watch in good health and enjoy it!
Old 22 May 2012, 10:15 AM   #18
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
sweet gmt, very nice to wear

and after a service from an independent watchmaker, movement only and maybe a new crystal you will be good to go for many years. Lovely example, congrats, M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

Gilt dial, fat font insert, great case, original rivet band, box. What's not to love about this watch? Great choice. Great find! Thanks for sharing!

-G
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 02:32 PM   #20
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Very nice vintage GMT. Congrats.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
GMTGuy1675
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
Gilt dial, fat font insert, great case, original rivet band, box. What's not to love about this watch? Great choice. Great find! Thanks for sharing!

-G

Thank you. I have all the paperwork (punched certificate, testing form with a bunch of stuff typed in Swiss or German or whatever, card insert inside green plastic billfold thing saying to keep the box for cigarettes, receipt from purchase from Naval ship USS Independence in early '67, money order stubs to seller totaling $120.00) in other photos with the box and watch itself but just didn't post them here. My dad had all the stuff stashed together, and he was the only owner prior to me.

-earlier in the thread, someone stated it looks like hands are not the originals. I'm positive these are the originals. It's not easy to see in those pics, but there is some age on the hands and also some dark mark on the 12 o'clock marker.

-I have noticed elsewhere on the forum people giving creedence to Rolexes purchased via the Navy and/or previously owned by a person serving in the military. Is that something that adds appeal to a vintage for some?

-Is "fat font insert" a reference to the date wheel? I kinda gather that might be the case (I saw a dissemination of dates with "open" 6s & 9s elsewhere on the forum, and on this GMT the 6 & 9 are not open). Sorry if I sound too much like a noob, but I am that.

Really appreciate the comments.
Old 22 May 2012, 10:55 PM   #22
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Hands look just fine. Don't worry.

Fat font insert is aimed at the bezel insert. Later ones had a much thinner font on the numbers. Enjoy that wonderful watch
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 11:09 PM   #23
lhanddds
Banned

Fat font refers to the thickness of the numbers on the bezel. More recent models have skinny numbers.
Old 23 May 2012, 12:12 AM   #24
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
-I have noticed elsewhere on the forum people giving creedence to Rolexes purchased via the Navy and/or previously owned by a person serving in the military. Is that something that adds appeal to a vintage for some?
The US Armed Forces Exchanges (Base Exchange, Post Exchange, etc) often had really good stuff at really good prices compared to the open market. They do as well today (and sometimes even on watches).

Rolex (and Tudor ) was considered a solid watch, services tested, classy and rugged, and a certain flair running about on it at the time, so why not ;)

Plus you couldn't (always) take a Corvette overseas
Old 23 May 2012, 12:22 AM   #25
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Pointed guards actually "ramp" up to a point.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 12:30 AM   #26
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Tsa

Quote:

Thanks again, everyone.
I used to fly weekly and finally gave up trying to make it through the xray with my watch. Instead, I would remove it and put it in my briefcase. With the newer eray system, sometimes they let you keep your watch on because they can see it, but even a piece of paper has to come out of your pockets.

As to waterproofing, IMO, a vintage Rolex with oyster case should be pretty good as long as the service is current. Just because the watch is old doesn't change the case's abitlity to keep water out, necessarily. My first Rolex was bought new in 1973 (rootbeer), and I still don't worry about water.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
I used to fly weekly and finally gave up trying to make it through the xray with my watch. Instead, I would remove it and put it in my briefcase. With the newer eray system, sometimes they let you keep your watch on because they can see it, but even a piece of paper has to come out of your pockets.
Really? Where are you flying out of. I have NEVER had to take my watch off and I fly out of a bunch of places mostly EWR, FLL and IAH though.
jhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 03:10 PM   #28
GMTGuy1675
Banned

Thank you all for the opinions & answers. Learned some valuable insight, and thanks for taking it easy on a newbie who had basic questions.
Old 23 May 2012, 03:17 PM   #29
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Beautiful .... Congrats
Old 24 May 2012, 06:11 AM   #30
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Congrats!

AP Owners Club