The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2018, 05:30 PM   #1
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Precious Metals vs Stainless Steel

So a friend of mine and I were talking yesterday and he asked me a question that I could not really answer. Why is stainless steel so much more popular that precious metals? Is it because of the price point?? It seems like the AD will give you a break on the precious medals but not on the Stainless models. It also seems like they do not retain the value like the precious metals do either.....I mean Daytona C's and SS Sky Dwellers seem to go for as much as a gold model. At that point, would someone rather have gold or platinum vs SS? Thoughts on this?
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It's more usable - lighter comfort, resists scratches from contact with more environmental materials, greater resistance to bracelet sag, doesn't annoy people like bling yer face yellow gold. Price means people are more comfortable putting scratches and dings into it, even enjoying their own character input. Basically the ultimate wristwatch material.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
My only thought is that SS is much more resistand to damage than PM
Also platinum is much heavier than steel for example and in my opinion establishes some watches as been overweight
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would say price given that the movements are the same for comparative models.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:01 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the higher up the price ladder the more you lose. Its similar with most products if there is an alternative product. Less buyers and higher price points. People dropping that kind of money also would just rather buy new i suppose so that further shrinks second hand demand.

None of that even factors in practicalness which favors SS.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:47 PM   #6
peterpl
Banned

I would never choose SS watches over any precious metal if money allowed of the same model watch.

Once you wear a PM watch - well lets just say its very very very hard to go back.

And yes as much as people dont want to discuss it - price point is a MAJOR factor probably the biggest factor actually. Money is always a major factor in buying things in life especially luxury non life essential items.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:59 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I own both PM watches and SS and SS will always be my go to choice and price has nothing to do with it. As for once you wear a PM watch you never go back that is just not true at least for me. I do prefer my white metal watches so for me will always go SS, WG and platinum over YG and RG. Again SS will always be tops for me and that is perfect match for my lifestyle.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 07:06 PM   #8
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
It's the price. #1 reason
Pm you are buying the watch and gold.. SS is pretty much just the watch.
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:05 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
So a friend of mine and I were talking yesterday and he asked me a question that I could not really answer. Why is stainless steel so much more popular that precious metals? Is it because of the price point?? It seems like the AD will give you a break on the precious medals but not on the Stainless models. It also seems like they do not retain the value like the precious metals do either.....I mean Daytona C's and SS Sky Dwellers seem to go for as much as a gold model. At that point, would someone rather have gold or platinum vs SS? Thoughts on this?
Some of us who enjoy watches prefer to buy movements rather than cases.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:10 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like PM and have owned several at times but now only have one. I prefer SS or titanium. For me it is where I jumped into the watch market and it will be where most of my collecting will be.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:13 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Call me crazy, but for certain references SS just looks Better to me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's down to price and the desirability of a Rolex. I'd hate to have to put a guesstimate to it but the market for SS is multiple times what it is for PM.
SS Rolex are very liquid and easy to sell if trying to offload them. PM are much more difficult.

I think it's mostly down to the sheer difference in the size of the market. There are so many more people can afford a SS but can't afford a PM.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2018, 09:22 PM   #13
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I always thought TT is a happy compromise — you get some gold and some steel to a watch movement that’s available in both PM and SS.

But yes, it’s about price and value retention that compelled to consider SS models only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #14
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I’m in the PM camp. I just prefer the weight, look and feel of PM over SS. I wear my PM Rolexes daily and almost never wear my SS. I think when I acquired my Platona, my gold Rolexes became way more appealing. The Platona makes the YG SubC feel like SS in comparison. Sure the PM costs more and the the more a watch costs, the more you lose in value; but I still prefer the PM sports models over the SS.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #15
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
If we exclude yellow and rose gold so as to remove colour preference, this is my take on it:

1 - All else being equal, it firstly comes down to durability. SS is harder and more scratch resistant.

2 - SS is cheaper

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:31 PM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For a Rolex most people pay retail, won't even ask for a discount or just a minimal one, so the price multiple on a Sub for example is over 4 times, so that is obviously a huge factor. When the price closes in as we have seen many jump ship, esp from SS to WG.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:39 PM   #17
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Some of us who enjoy watches prefer to buy movements rather than cases.
Precisely why i went with the Datejust 41. The new 3235 movement was a must have for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2018, 09:55 PM   #18
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
What I will say is..

SS being more usable; and PM costing more, are both valid points. But many people claiming the former probably are using it as validation for the latter.

Honestly bought SS as I can’t afford to spend $30k on a watch, no point lying about it. If a PM watch formed the same proportion of my “worth” as my SS does damn right I’d happily use one as a daily.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:27 PM   #19
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I own both PM watches and SS and SS will always be my go to choice and price has nothing to do with it. As for once you wear a PM watch you never go back that is just not true at least for me. I do prefer my white metal watches so for me will always go SS, WG and platinum over YG and RG. Again SS will always be tops for me and that is perfect match for my lifestyle.
Agree. For me having PMs I also prefer SS as daily wearer mainly due to its light weight. Don't want to wear a heavy and/or flashy watch every day.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:35 PM   #20
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post

Fully agree. I’d much rather have SS.

Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:39 PM   #21
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Durability, weight, and looks for me. 904l is so crispy white and polishes to a mirror. I think 904l has been pushed by Rolex to a almost precious metal status now.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:40 PM   #22
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
This is my take. Many people wear watches as jewelry, an accessory, so to speak. Simply put, the bling factor is important to them. For me, I enjoy the watch factor, the movement, reliability and function. SS makes more sense because the metal adds nothing for me. I can appreciate the beauty of PM but not as much for my wrist.

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:47 PM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Many good points.
Good thread as well

Value & Value Retention, Longevity of designs.

Consider the Patek Nautilus 5711, AP 15202, submariner, gmt, speedmaster . ..these watches are all iconic and stainless and at the top of the list for desirability. At least 1 of them can be found in most of our dream collections.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:51 PM   #24
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs View Post
What I will say is..

SS being more usable; and PM costing more, are both valid points. But many people claiming the former probably are using it as validation for the latter.

Honestly bought SS as I can’t afford to spend $30k on a watch, no point lying about it. If a PM watch formed the same proportion of my “worth” as my SS does damn right I’d happily use one as a daily.
I agree, I couldn't see spending $30k plus on a watch and wearing it everyday.
While I have the money to buy a few Rolex watches, it mentally would be hard to push it past TT pricing for me. SS offers an iconic look, durability, affordability, and a comfort level I like.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:00 PM   #25
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
i own both pm watches and ss and ss will always be my go to choice and price has nothing to do with it. As for once you wear a pm watch you never go back that is just not true at least for me. I do prefer my white metal watches so for me will always go ss, wg and platinum over yg and rg. Again ss will always be tops for me and that is perfect match for my lifestyle.
+1.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:25 PM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Call me crazy, but for certain references SS just looks Better to me
OK. Crazy.

Kidding, buddy.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:27 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
OK. Crazy.

Kidding, buddy.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:29 PM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's all preference and there's a place for both in my box.

I have, however, gravitated away from YG, with the exception of the bluesy, which will always be with me in either TT or YG.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:35 PM   #29
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

pm’s take a major hit on depreciation. I am not sure that they hold value better .
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:36 PM   #30
Brew
"TRF" Member

This thread has been very interesting and a great read. I am getting older and am slowing down a bit. I don't think I put much wear on my watches any more. I don't realize any "performance advantage" to be gained by ss, and I prefer a heavier watch. If price wasn't an issue (it is), I would likely only own pm pieces.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote