The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Allig8er

Are DJ's water resistant?

I just bought a SS DJ with a beautiful blue dial. I haven't taken it off for the past two days, even in the shower and when I go to bed! my question is: how truly water resistant is the DJ? I don't plan on swimming with it or anything, but is it OK to keep it on during shower, or should I take it off? apologies for the newbie question!
Allig8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Blue Shadow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
300 feet I believe
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 11:37 AM   #3
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase. Modern DJs are waterproof to 100m, and can handle the shower just fine. Did you buy the watch new, or is it pre-owned?
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
darthmouse
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Oysters can definitely take a shower without issues, unless they are quite old...
darthmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 11:52 AM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
For most activities, they do just fine. And, they're as water resistant as the seals. As long as the seals are still good, a DJ can handle swimming and shallow scuba.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Shallow SCUBA?....they are rated to 100m....that's hardly shallow....I love DateJusts, they can put up with far far more than your body can......go ahead, wear it 24/7 for everything....and I mean everything....I have been doing that for almost 24 years and mine have never missed a beat.....they've seen more action than most and still look and work brilliantly.....enjoy your watch....an excellent choice!!!
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
They'll go as deep as 99.99% of all sdds will eventually trek underwater, so no worries.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Allig8er

Thank you all very much. I did buy it new from an authorized dealer. I usually wear my watches continuously. Of course my last watch was an invicta diver, a few grands cheaper than the DJ, so we're comparing apples to kiwis

Is the soap or heat/steam in shower an issue? What about chlorine in pool water. If i get a positive respone, i will take off the DJ only to put another Rolex

Thanks again, you guys are awsome
Old 10 August 2010, 12:27 PM   #9
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allig8er View Post
Thank you all very much. I did buy it new from an authorized dealer. I usually wear my watches continuously. Of course my last watch was an invicta diver, a few grands cheaper than the DJ, so we're comparing apples to kiwis

Is the soap or heat/steam in shower an issue? What about chlorine in pool water. If i get a positive respone, i will take off the DJ only to put another Rolex

Well, I've been wearing my 116200 for two years now, and never shied away from any kind of water - they're built to last. Just don't put it in the dishwasher
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Allig8er

Chris, the idea of putting the watch in dish washer is actually pretty sweet but i guess i will pass.
Old 10 August 2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
I plan on diving and snorkelling with mine :)
Old 10 August 2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Blue Shadow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
I've heard of putting baseball caps in the dishwasher....but a watch? :)
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:35 PM   #13
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
It's as waterproof as it advertises, and then some. As a matter of fact, you should go swimming with it to get over your fears of water with it.

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
scl6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The watch is fine, but I question the notion of it being safe to dive with. The watches are tested to be water resistant to a certain pressure (100 meters) but the testing environment is always static. In the ocean there are currents, and divers move their hands. It is debated how much extra pressure this adds, but personally I wouldn't take my 100 meter dj on a 30 meter dive. Same has been said about soap, and the pressure of the water coming out of the shower. I would take my dj in the shower (although I'd never shower with a watch on) but wouldn't take one of my other watches that is only rated for 30 meters.... Of course there haven't been any scientific experiments to test these theories, but there must be some truth behind them....
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Allig8er

Excellent points Chris regarding soap and steam. As for diving, no troubles there as i am primarily a terrestrial being and diving is not one of my stuff.
Old 10 August 2010, 02:37 PM   #16
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
The model can go 300ft, but the individual watch should be pressure tested to knof if there are any issues.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 02:46 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome,Congrats, and Excellent Choice. Post some pics when you get a chance?

We all just like to see what the next person got.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 03:05 PM   #18
dwr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Welcome th TRF.
dwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
petespendthrift

Any well maintained Rolex can be used diving to any depth that a human can go to without needing special equipment and training.

For many makes the depth ratings are not true (ie. 30m rating actually means splash-proof) but for Rolex 100M means it has been designed to actually withstand that depth with a generous safety margin to spare.

Just get is pressure checked every couple of years and make sure the crown is firmly screwed down and give it a good rinse after chlorine and salt exposure. Also remember that subjecting the watch to very high temperatures will have the effect of reducing the useful life of the oils inside the watch so by all means wear it in the hot tub or sauna but make sure you get it serviced every 5 years.

I personally think DJs are every bit as tough as the sports models and their smaller size and profile means they avoid the majority of bashes and knocks that the large models like the DeepSea get subjected to.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allig8er View Post

Welcome to the forum, congrats on a great watch, and stop worrying. Rolex have boiled a watch in an advertisement campaign, and others have done it to theirs. Wash it in the shower with soap, rinse it, and your bracelet will be better off.

One of the worst things you can do to your bracelet is to let oil and dirt build up in it.

As others said here, a DJ will handle what most Subs and Sea Dwellers ever see. I doubt that soap, swimming motion, or showerheads will hurt anything.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 11:44 PM   #21
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
I doubt that soap, swimming motion, or showerheads will hurt anything.
I agree with Patrick. The pressure that the watchmakers are referring to is the actual weight of the water pushing down and against you. Most people rarely dive below 100-150 feet. 100 meters is 300 feet! I am a scuba diver and I don't know anyone that has gone that deep without special equipment and training. That being said, I think your watch is plenty safe for swimming, showering, or whatever else you may do in the water!
cajunron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 02:20 AM   #22
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Exact!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
Any well maintained Rolex can be used diving to any depth that a human can go to without needing special equipment and training.

For many makes the depth ratings are not true (ie. 30m rating actually means splash-proof) but for Rolex 100M means it has been designed to actually withstand that depth with a generous safety margin to spare.

Just get is pressure checked every couple of years and make sure the crown is firmly screwed down and give it a good rinse after chlorine and salt exposure. Also remember that subjecting the watch to very high temperatures will have the effect of reducing the useful life of the oils inside the watch so by all means wear it in the hot tub or sauna but make sure you get it serviced every 5 years.

I personally think DJs are every bit as tough as the sports models and their smaller size and profile means they avoid the majority of bashes and knocks that the large models like the DeepSea get subjected to.
They are designed to be submerged

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 03:20 AM   #23
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Welcome to the Forum and have a good time...as has been stated you are good to go when swimming or showering!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 06:16 AM   #24
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Sure, get it wet!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 09:02 AM   #25
Allig8er

i am now convinced that My watch is a submariner trapped in a DJ body
Old 11 August 2010, 10:50 AM   #26
elvis1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT ll 1969 DJ
I wore mine for 30+ years and never took it off except to wipe it down now and then. I swam with it regularly in pools and many bodies of water around the world. It never missed a beat! Don't worry they are built tough.
elvis1 is offline   Reply With Quote