The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2015, 03:39 PM   #91
CabbageHead
"TRF" Member

The thing is a tool watch, man. Sheesh. Have you ever used a tool? This is what well used tools looks like. The beautiful thing.. it took that like a champ and still functions LIKE A BOSS!
CabbageHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2015, 02:21 PM   #92
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Yea, it's not the worst thing ever, it's just irritating sometimes.

It seems silly to have a RSC replace the whole bezel, including the ceramic (considering it's in perfect condition).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very qualified watchmaker that would be up to the task of attempting a fix without replacement?
wiswrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2015, 02:28 PM   #93
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Might as well give the guys at ABC Watchwerks and see what they can do.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2015, 03:25 PM   #94
redsubby
"TRF" Member

I can't stand looking at it if it was my watch...
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 12:07 AM   #95
wiswrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, I will give them a call.
Old 27 January 2015, 05:10 AM   #96
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
I did find it ridiculous that they can replace the ceramic insert without the bezel and not the other way around ... but I wasn't going to start arguing with them. Also, I think the $825 would be in addition to the regular service cost .... so probably close to $1,500 when all is said and done.

I've been wearing the watch on and off for almost 4 years (originally bought new from DavidSW!). I don't think it "needs" a service yet but if it's going to be at the RSC then might as well.

I would like to find a well recommended watchmaker that is up to the task of a quality polish (and possibly a laser weld on the missing chunk). I am obviously very hesitant to have some random jeweler do a hack job on it.

I've been doing some searching on TRF and have come across Bob Ridley of Watchmakers International so far (edit: due to some issues some members have had with him that might not be the best idea).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
That was going to be my suggestion as well; from what I've heard they are very good at this kind of thing...
Old 27 January 2015, 05:41 AM   #97
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Many have said it before and I'll just join in: leave it as it is! It DOES add character to your watch, people may think you really are a diver )
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 06:34 AM   #98
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Its no good now. Now even water resistant.

You need to sell that to me at a deeeeeeep discount :)

(I would just leave it its your everyday wear)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 08:32 AM   #99
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea, it's not the worst thing ever, it's just irritating sometimes.

It seems silly to have a RSC replace the whole bezel, including the ceramic (considering it's in perfect condition).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a very qualified watchmaker that would be up to the task of attempting a fix without replacement?
I think RSC is worried that when removing the ceramic insert from a damaged bezel, they might damage the insert. Hence the quote is replacing both bezel and insert. I would go back and ask them if there is any way that they might charge just the bezel if they can salvage the insert.

OTOH, you can just try to pop to whole thing off yourself and give them the watch sans bezel. This way, you'll have a spare if you ever need it.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 08:50 AM   #100
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Irrespective of the cost, I would leave it as it is - gives it a bit of character!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 09:41 AM   #101
dsample1
Banned

Watch: 114060
That sucks
dsample1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 07:10 AM   #102
wiswrist

Quick update: I spoke with Edvi from ABC Watchwerks and he advised that the damage is not repairable. He did say that if I am able to source a bezel, they would happily replace it for me. I have no clue how to source a genuine bezel though.

I am going to get a second opinion (I'm thinking of reaching out to Rik at Time Care Inc.) just to get another perspective.

If not, I'm either going to just leave it as is or will have to bite the bullet and send it to the RSC.
Old 3 February 2015, 07:38 AM   #103
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwatchnut View Post
for $825 i'd take a pass and leave it as is and just continue enjoy wearing it. If it was a broken ceramic insert, then i would replace it.
+1
MaxCargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 08:40 AM   #104
wiswrist

I just had a nice conversation with Rik at Time Care Inc. ... He told me Rolex is no longer allowing independent watchmakers with parts accounts to order parts for the DSSD. They even asked him to return his tool to open the case-back.

Unfortunately, if I want to get it fixed, it looks as if the RSC is my only option. The RSC is apparently the only option for anything DSSD related, even a basic service ...
Old 3 February 2015, 08:54 AM   #105
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Hence I stand by my original comment, remove your bezel and sell it to recoup so of the repair cost!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 09:08 AM   #106
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
DSSD boo boo

It is a special watch...the only one that Rolex does not trust AD's with. I am sure it is a matter of the correct pressure test equipment...lol I love my Deep Sea...Even though I wear mine everyday, I would fix it, for my sake and ability to sleep at night. If you can afford it, I would pull the trigger and have it fixed...you will feel better about the watch and it wouldn't be long for the 800.00 + sting to subside. It would bother me if it happened to mine. But that's only because my DSSD is my everyday watch that I compare all others to. Don't get me wrong, I don't baby it, but I am careful not to bash it around. Stuff just happens sometimes though.

If you don't feel the way I do about your DSSD, then wait until your next scheduled service. Take care of it then. Just my 2 cents as a DSSD owner. I have had mine over a year and still find myself staring at it during the day.
Ritch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 09:08 AM   #107
wiswrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Hence I stand by my original comment, remove your bezel and sell it to recoup so of the repair cost!
I am pretty sure I asked while at the RSC if the price would be the same if my bezel was "missing" and was told that it wouldn't. The price they quoted me is a trade-in/swap price I think.
Old 3 February 2015, 09:45 AM   #108
fespo276
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I damaged the bezel on my DSSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I can't believe that nobody's upset that Rolex won't replace the bezel and leave the insert. Why can't they replace the bezel? They are two separate pieces.

I was quoted a price to replace just the bezel on my Sub-C. No insert replacement was required by NY RSC. Maybe different watches have different requirements? Quoted $600 ish.
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 10:31 AM   #109
Mis3
"TRF" Member

To the OP, I zoomed in your first picture, is it possible that the insert was damaged as well?
Mis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 10:40 AM   #110
willang
"TRF" Member

Similar thing happened to my SD (non ceramic) years back and told the same by RSC but luckily it's only $350 for the bezel and insert
willang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 02:10 AM   #111
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
I am pretty sure I asked while at the RSC if the price would be the same if my bezel was "missing" and was told that it wouldn't. The price they quoted me is a trade-in/swap price I think.
Right ok, Odd as unlike with precious metal models I can't see there being any scrap value in your old parts!

But as always Rolex seem to make their own rules
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 04:06 AM   #112
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritch99 View Post
It is a special watch...the only one that Rolex does not trust AD's with. I am sure it is a matter of the correct pressure test equipment...lol I love my Deep Sea...Even though I wear mine everyday, I would fix it, for my sake and ability to sleep at night. If you can afford it, I would pull the trigger and have it fixed...you will feel better about the watch and it wouldn't be long for the 800.00 + sting to subside. It would bother me if it happened to mine. But that's only because my DSSD is my everyday watch that I compare all others to. Don't get me wrong, I don't baby it, but I am careful not to bash it around. Stuff just happens sometimes though.

If you don't feel the way I do about your DSSD, then wait until your next scheduled service. Take care of it then. Just my 2 cents as a DSSD owner. I have had mine over a year and still find myself staring at it during the day.
They don't trust them with LV Aluminium inserts either. RSC if you need one of those.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2015, 04:12 AM   #113
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
I Find it hard to believe you can't just buy the bezel ring. Maybe try calling the RSC dallas and BH and see if they have the same answer
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bezel , dssd