The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2023, 08:47 AM   #1
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST 41
CPO from AD thoughts/comments?

I'm about ready to make my first Rolex purchase. I made a trip to my closest AD here in Phoenix, and they were polite, and actually gave me 'slight' hope of purchasing a DJ41, YG/SS. Jub (126334), but it was still a 'email us, and we will contact you when one becomes available' conversation.

I'm almost 70, still work, and fairly active, but I'm not kidding anyone that I have unlimited time. Oh, and like many of us, I'm impatient.

My question to this forum, is what do you think about buying a CPO from the AD's now, like HydePark, Or Govberg, etc.? They have an extensive network, and you can walk in, buy a watch, that's Rolex Certified, and warrantied for two yrs, and pay a premium, but not too terrible.

I hate paying over MSRP, but this may be an answer to that grey market question.

Any positive comments or information would be appreciated.
azhiker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 08:51 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
buy from other greys
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 08:51 AM   #3
Policylimits_
"TRF" Member

I would join moda watch club and buy from a trusted dealer on their if the prices are better
Policylimits_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 08:52 AM   #4
RareBird
"TRF" Member

I think you should go for it! Takes the stress out of finding the right grey and saves you the time and stress of waiting for an ad. Can't go wrong
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’d home in on exactly what you want. But I think you’d be best served seeking a DJ36/41. Go to any AD that’s proximate and make frequent, earnest inquiries. The satisfaction of being the first to truly wear the watch will far exceed the inconvenience of the wait.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 11:03 AM   #6
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policylimits_ View Post
I would join moda watch club and buy from a trusted dealer on their if the prices are better
I have never heard of moda watch club? I'm really wanting to actually try on/inspect/ touch something that will cost 12-17 K.
Old 10 December 2023, 11:50 AM   #7
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
If you are not comfortable dealing with secondary dealers your best bet is to buy from a CPO programme. It gives you a peace of mind you bought a authentic product.There are trusted sellers in this forum.you can buy from them at a lesser price.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 12:11 PM   #8
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Personally I would want the peace of mind that comes from buying a Rolex certified piece. Every time I look at my watch I would want to know it’s genuine. You get that from AD. You get that from Rolex CPO. You may or may not get that from grey. So I would obviously pay MSRP at AD or as the second option, market price from Rolex CPO. How do you put a price on piece of mind!? Just my 2 cents.
SubDate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 12:39 PM   #9
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
What is it exactly that you want?
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 12:45 PM   #10
SMDRFE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rhodium 126622
I was just in a local AD today and they had a TT YG Sub with black dial that looked fantastic. It was the newest model, I think perhaps an exhibition model that they were unloading. Price was basically MSRP of the new, but considering grey prices are typically $2-3k above that if not a little more, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it if I was interested.
SMDRFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 12:57 PM   #11
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Still deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
What is it exactly that you want?
Well, Im leaning toward a DJ41, probably in SS/WG, second is same watch, but SS/YG. Im also considering a GMT black bezel, YG, jubilee bracelet.

I have tried on the DJ41, but really like the GMT. It will be a long time ( maybe never) before I buy another , so Im going slow. Sort of. I hope to buy a watch on the 20th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4898.jpeg (151.9 KB, 962 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4907.jpeg (146.8 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg (158.3 KB, 953 views)
Old 10 December 2023, 01:08 PM   #12
SlashRothstein
"TRF" Member

Was at a local AD recently who just received their CPOs and was a bit shocked by the sticker prices. $28,xxx for a hulk, $12xxx for a 116900 Air King, among other larcenies.

SA made it sound like Rolex sets the CPO prices. Anyone know if that is true or does the AD decide? Also, if an AD takes in a watch and sends to Rolex for certification, do they get it back or are they allocated CPO pieces?

OP - I’d be hopeful that you could at least get a new TT DJ from an AD.
SlashRothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 01:18 PM   #13
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashRothstein View Post
Was at a local AD recently who just received their CPOs and was a bit shocked by the sticker prices. $28,xxx for a hulk, $12xxx for a 116900 Air King, among other larcenies.

SA made it sound like Rolex sets the CPO prices. Anyone know if that is true or does the AD decide? Also, if an AD takes in a watch and sends to Rolex for certification, do they get it back or are they allocated CPO pieces?

OP - I’d be hopeful that you could at least get a new TT DJ from an AD.
Only checked one AD here so far. I was told they could probably get me a DJ, it may just take several months or longer. He sounded like it ‘could’ be sooner, but he would not commit.

If its only a couple grand, I would pay that for the watch I wanted, now. Money IS an object, but so is time.
Old 10 December 2023, 01:22 PM   #14
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Rolex does not set CPO prices.A.D does..All Rolex did was lay out rules and regulations like the watch should be three years old. If A.D has a Rolex certified watch makes he will check for authenticity and service it if necessary.If they don’t have watch makers then I think they send it to R.S.C.
Old 10 December 2023, 01:26 PM   #15
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

I also heard that you have to have Rolex certified watch maker to join the CPO programme
Old 10 December 2023, 01:36 PM   #16
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

It appears to me, IMHO, that this program is a way for AD’s to recapture some of the market that they have been loosing to grey market, boutiques or whatever they are called.

I have been compiling a spread sheet of prices, and it looks for-the most part that the CPO prices are pretty close to most of the grey market dealers. Again, it comforts me to be able to purchase my dream watch, know its real, for it to still have a warranty , and to not have to slurk in somewhere for eventual service.
Old 10 December 2023, 01:59 PM   #17
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t go CPO. It is price gouging in my opinion.

Based on the references you are interested in, you shouldn’t have too much difficulty getting one at MSRP in a relatively short time frame. I’d reach out to a few ADs, express your interest, and check in occasionally. There’s nothing better than putting on a fresh out of the box watch that has, and hopefully will be, only yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 02:02 PM   #18
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

CPO from AD thoughts/comments?

To be CPO, doesn’t the watch have to be at least 3 years old? Or am I wrong on that? If so, some of those newer choices would be out.

To echo what others have said, just buy from DavidSW or European Watches or another trusted dealer on this forum. The prices aren’t as good as Moda but they are below CPO. Also, if you buy a newer watch in warranty, the warranty transfers - so you can get even more than the 2 years of CPO warranty.

Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 02:35 PM   #19
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
To be CPO, doesn’t the watch have to be at least 3 years old? Or am I wrong on that? If so, some of those newer choices would be out.

To echo what others have said, just buy from DavidSW or European Watches or another trusted dealer on this forum. The prices aren’t as good as Moda but they are below CPO. Also, if you buy a newer watch in warranty, the warranty transfers - so you can get even more than the 2 years of CPO warranty.

And that is one of my options for sure. For example though, DavidSW is about the same price as the CPO watches that i have priced. I really appreciate the great comments and info.
Old 10 December 2023, 03:04 PM   #20
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubel328 View Post
i wouldn’t go cpo. It is price gouging in my opinion.

Based on the references you are interested in, you shouldn’t have too much difficulty getting one at msrp in a relatively short time frame. I’d reach out to a few ads, express your interest, and check in occasionally. There’s nothing better than putting on a fresh out of the box watch that has, and hopefully will be, only yours.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 06:28 PM   #21
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
+1

The motif dial watches are not going to be available through CPO, as explained above. You should go to the Boutique sales section here, contact any of the dealers, and they can get you what you want, and within a few days. They are all highly trusted here. Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 06:54 PM   #22
hojlund
"TRF" Member

if you are not familiar with watches, go rolex CPO is the best way you can purchase an authentic and not a stolen watch.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 11:04 PM   #23
watchboynyc
"TRF" Member

I can't tell a fake from a real Rolex. While it's true that you can trust some of the good Gray dealers out there but sometimes they get fooled too and it's a business.

While the prices from the CPO program is way over, at least you know it's real and serviced by Rolex. So no fake parts or total fake watches there.

I bit the bullet and purchased a 16710 from CPO because I wanted the Coke GMT and i didnt have the knowledge to be confident to buy off gray market.
watchboynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 11:10 PM   #24
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Go with one of the trusted sellers here. Better pricing and will be on your wrist in 1-2 days with nothing to doubt or worry about.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 11:19 PM   #25
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
You're nearly 70. Money is nothing. Time is everything.

Buy from CPO.

Don't think twice about it.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 11:47 PM   #26
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubel328 View Post
i wouldn’t go cpo. It is price gouging in my opinion.

Based on the references you are interested in, you shouldn’t have too much difficulty getting one at msrp in a relatively short time frame. I’d reach out to a few ads, express your interest, and check in occasionally. There’s nothing better than putting on a fresh out of the box watch that has, and hopefully will be, only yours.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1, agree with above. CPO is a ripoff. AD’s are getting watches for sale, the market is soft, be patient, visit a few AD’s, what you want is not in high demand.

Edit. I just made another thread, Bucherer in White Plains has 6 watches for sale. This is a very high traffic mall, so something is going on.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2023, 11:21 AM   #27
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDate View Post
Personally I would want the peace of mind that comes from buying a Rolex certified piece. Every time I look at my watch I would want to know it’s genuine. You get that from AD. You get that from Rolex CPO. You may or may not get that from grey. So I would obviously pay MSRP at AD or as the second option, market price from Rolex CPO. How do you put a price on piece of mind!? Just my 2 cents.

The trusted sellers here on TRF have been vouched for thousands of times, no reason to doubt their watches.
Old 11 December 2023, 11:53 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Go with one of the trusted sellers here. Better pricing and will be on your wrist in 1-2 days with nothing to doubt or worry about.
X2
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 12:21 AM   #29
explorer77
"TRF" Member

Did you end up buying one or are you waiting?
explorer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 12:42 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I too think you can find a better price elsewhere.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote