The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2019 Sub Date
New guy reporting in

Hello all, new to the forum and the brand. Picked up a new 116610 LN last Saturday. To say it was a lucky buy would be accurate. The Authorized Dealer I dealt with was great to do business with. I'll tell the story if anyone wants to know how I came upon the watch.
Stonecutter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Welcome.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:38 AM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Welcome to the forum, Stonecutter6.

Many of us here like hearing stories of watch acquisitions.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome aboard~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2019 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Welcome to the forum, Stonecutter6.

Many of us here like hearing stories of watch acquisitions.
I'm currently in training for a new job and needed my old Tag Aqua Racer serviced. I stopped in to the local jewelry shop that happened to be an Authorized Dealer for Rolex. They used to sell Tag but currently do not.

The owner looked at my watch and said don't bother sending it in for a service; "they'll charge you hundreds of dollars for that at Tag. And frankly your watch only needs some light buffing, we can do that in house". I asked how much and he quoted me about $15 or so and three or four days. I was very happy to hear this so I handed over my watch and kept chatting a bit.

We were near the Rolex display case and I asked if I could try some on as I had never worn one before. He was happy to pull a few out for me. I tried on the Air King, the Explorer II, and a Milguass. The Air King looked amazing and really caught my eye. I left thinking that it would be neat to own one someday. The service guy came out with my Tag and had buffed it a bit already and asked if I like how it looked, I did. I asked what was the damage since you did it while I waited, he said "Nothing if you buy a Rolex, just kidding, but its on the house". I was very happy that I had stopped in to this store.

I stopped in the next Saturday and spoke with another salesman and mentioned my conversation with the owner the week prior. He pulled out the Air King and the Milguass again for me and I tried them on; the Air King still won out of the two. The Explorer is pretty cool as well in my opinion. He gave me a couple Rolex Magazines and a catalog to look over as well. Before I left he asked if I had ever looked at a Submariner since I was looking at the other three watches previously mentioned. I had not, since that seemed way out of my price range.

He said they had a Submariner Date in the safe if I'd like to see it; I told him "yes please". The Sub had not been on display, they said, to keep it away from flippers. It fit great and looked awesome on my wrist. He said, "I'm not trying to upsell you, but if you want it I'll set it aside for you, just let me know which one you want". So it was between the Air King or the Submariner. He said, do some research on the forums and google and see which one you might like. So I did, and crunched some numbers, and re-crunched those numbers.

I called as soon as the shop opened the next Tuesday morning and told him to put my name on the Submariner and I'll be in as soon as I can get off work. I showed up that Saturday to pick it up and the staff there (all family of the owner) was very nice. At one point one of the owners daughters said: "oh you're the one for the Sub, have you wanted one for a long time?". I told her Yes! However, the actual reality was I had only really figured it possible to own for about a week.

The Dealer here is a stand-up gentleman with a great family owned business. They seem like a genuine bunch of nice people as well. Its capitalism at its finest and I'm pretty sure that if you're a genuinely friendly person you can get good service anywhere.

I'm quite sure I didn't have the look of the typical customer my first time in the shop. I was in workout gear, flip flops, and unshaved; just glad to have had the opportunity to pick one up like this after reading about the trials and tribulations of some folks hunt for a Submariner.

I've had my new watch on my wrist everyday since! I love wearing it and frankly if it does get banged around a bit (and it does) those are my dents and scratches! I'll happily wear this watch for the rest of my days!

So there it is; the flash to bang on my new Submariner was three Saturdays!
Stonecutter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:18 PM   #7
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:52 PM   #9
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:30 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Welcome!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:05 AM   #11
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Welcome
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote