The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 October 2017, 10:40 PM   #1
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Views on IWC annual calendar and perpetual calendar?

What do you think of these two? Anybody own them and have wrist pics?

I saw the at an AD today (the sheer indifference of the staff put me off tying them on, though) and I liked the look of them, but they didn’t inspire that gnawing feeling that comes up when i see a piece that i am crazy about.

There is something appealing about being able to buy an annual calendar complication from a serious brand for the same price as a Rolex green sub (both at grey pricing). And the perpetual calendar is not unreasonably priced either for what it is.

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...-calendar.html

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...-calendar.html
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:42 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i prefer the AC in blue. Both are amazing in person and on the wrist but the PC is a but busy for me. I don't like the two subdials with two different things on them (PR and date on one and seconds and day of week on the other). The PR would have been better left off or on the back and the seconds sub dial could have just been a regular seconds hand.

The AC has been on my list for a while, but other watches keep coming up.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

IWC has a reputation for bad after-sales service. They can't even get an XS strap for my simple time-only diver So I'll try to grab one in NYC in December

Personally I would stick with their modified ETA (aquatimer, mark series) or simple in-house (portugese 7 days, Big Pilot) watches. IWC has repeatedly failed to stand behind their complicated watches, so I don't see why an informed customer would purchase them at this point.

If you like the look, then I think the Portugieser Automatic is the one to get. I'll likely grab one down the road
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

Still a great watch with a nice history behind it

Old 21 October 2017, 11:37 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
IWC has a reputation for bad after-sales service. They can't even get an XS strap for my simple time-only diver So I'll try to grab one in NYC in December
3 months 12 phone calls/voice mails and several emails to get a strap from APSC with the "after sales" department. When i finally contacted sales as if i was going to buy a new watch then they replied. So I don't think IWC is alone in that regard.

Had the watch not broken while this was going on I would have given up and moved on, the broken watch was the catalyst to elevate everything but i got the strap in the end.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 October 2017, 11:47 PM   #6
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
3 months 12 phone calls/voice mails and several emails to get a strap from APSC with the "after sales" department. When i finally contacted sales as if i was going to buy a new watch then they replied. So I don't think IWC is alone in that regard.
Luck could play a big role Last time I walked into an AP boutique looking for a strap, they brought one out in less than a minute

But in HK it's particularly unacceptable, as many watch brands do 25%+ of their sales here. Plus, I've heard plenty of stories about IWC service fails. Even my own father, who almost never complains about anything, still talks about how they botched the service on both of his old IWC watches

I'm still a fan of the brand. But I wouldn't want to own a complicated in-house movement that only they can service. I believe conkers/Roger has had big issues with them as well
Old 22 October 2017, 12:00 AM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned the PPC (red gold/white dial) for about 6 years. It's the only IWC I've kept and it continues to get wrist time every so often.

Keep in mind that if it's not a regular watch in your rotation, and you don't keep it on a wonder, then setting the date might be a little bit of a pain depending on how long it's been since last worn. The good and bad of this watch is that everything is set via the crown.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Star Ferry
Banned

But if you can get the AC at the right price, you can mentally bake in the cost of a service

So this is far from a black/white issue, and I admit that
Old 22 October 2017, 12:36 AM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I've owned the PPC (red gold/white dial) for about 6 years. It's the only IWC I've kept and it continues to get wrist time every so often.

Keep in mind that if it's not a regular watch in your rotation, and you don't keep it on a wonder, then setting the date might be a little bit of a pain depending on how long it's been since last worn. The good and bad of this watch is that everything is set via the crown.
Good guidance. Helpful that it has a 7 day power reserve
Old 22 October 2017, 12:39 AM   #10
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Luck could play a big role Last time I walked into an AP boutique looking for a strap, they brought one out in less than a minute
Interestingly, when I wanted my XS strap, the boutique had to call me back on availability, but my local AD “boutique” (AD owned, but Selling AP exclusively) pulled one out immediately.

Im not sure what availability for other straps was like.

It’s appauling that a healthy stock of straps would not be kept on hand at major ADs in London
Old 22 October 2017, 03:21 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
It’s appauling that a healthy stock of straps would not be kept on hand at major ADs in London
It was a GP strap so APSC was the only real option. My AD didn't even have a parts list supplied from AP that listed it, so they didn't have a product number to order one. But in general they all seemed to be order only and APSC isn't responsive here at all. So much so that I go to Paris now to look at watches as AP UK is pretty appalling.

AP London even hired an employee who does nothing but straps. Seriously.

I guess it should get better.
Old 22 October 2017, 04:36 AM   #12
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I think the posts here are going off topic from the OP. This isn't about poor customer service experiences, its about the watch. And the AC's are super cool. You can get a high complication at a reasonable price, with the looks to go along with it.

The pilot AC I would say is the most tool AC on the market you can get. The portugieser has a classy/fancy yet subtle/stern German take.

I repeat my self on all IWC posts I make and its the top quality IWC produces.

My recommendation is buy a pre-owned, you can get one at a great price.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:40 AM   #13
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
I think the posts here are going off topic from the OP. This isn't about poor customer service experiences, its about the watch. And the AC's are super cool. You can get a high complication at a reasonable price, with the looks to go along with it.

The pilot AC I would say is the most tool AC on the market you can get. The portugieser has a classy/fancy yet subtle/stern German take.

The pricing on these is great for what you get (cheaper than a green sub here!).
Old 22 October 2017, 11:22 AM   #14
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Resale disaster, buy used!

Don't get me started on IWC service!
Old 22 October 2017, 11:29 AM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

Now that I have had some exercise & coffee, I'll stick to the watches

PC is confusing for me with the subdials pulling double duty

AC is nice in that month/date/day are all together at the top. The fact that it says "annual calendar" is a tad corny but could be a nice conversation starter
Old 22 October 2017, 11:32 AM   #16
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I used to own 2 IWCs including the previous generation WG/BlueDial Perpetual calendar. Strictly as a watch, the perpetual calendar is quite impressive. But as others have cautioned, service seems to be not great in HK. I can't comment on that as I have not need to service them since I sold them after less than 2 years. I sold them to fund other watches. Yes, resale value is not good but it's basically in line with all non-Rolex/PP/AP watches.

If you decided to get one, I can refer you to my AD in HK which can give you good discount.
Old 22 October 2017, 02:18 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post

How would you rate your satisfaction with JLC service? Just curious

Sorry for the diversion OP.
Old 22 October 2017, 06:30 PM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Never had a problem with IWC service, but then I was US based and only had one issue that needed resolving.

I had a titanium GST perpetual calender chronograph for a short while, a 3756. If you don't like subdials doing double duty, you'll hate this, although they were helpfully color coded, yellow for chrono and white for calendar... I bought it used for about $8500 as I recall, but sold it after about 4 months as there was too much going on dial-wise. Still, an awful lot of watch for the money.

pic courtesy of the internets...mine was the grey one

I think the Portugeuse AC is extremely elegant, hence not a watch for me...
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 11:17 PM   #19
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But if you can get the AC at the right price, you can mentally bake in the cost of a service

So this is far from a black/white issue, and I admit that
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post

What would move me from thinking “it’s interesting” to “I’ll buy it” would be seeing one of these for a great price
Old 22 October 2017, 11:24 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
OP, I see an annual calendar in your future
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:19 PM   #21
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

To add further, contrary to others opinions and having owned the PPC for 6 years or so I've never had any issue with the sub dials. Like anything else ones eyes/brain quickly adapt to seeing what's needed and in this case that means easily picking out the day indication (over the constant sweep of the seconds hand sharing the same sub dial), or the date over the power reserve.

And it's as big as a Hockey Puck so even with poor sight this should never been an issue. We're not talking about a 36mm Patek PPC.

And yes, resale sucks. I purchased mine, in HK btw, for c.30% less than retail at the time which would help a little in softening the resale blow!
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:51 AM   #22
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP

I think the service thing is partially luck/bad luck. I have documented less than ideal experiences with AP, VC, and even Rolex here in the US. My service experiences with IWC, Panerai, Blancpain and Hublot have been flawless.

As for the watch, I think that the movement is such a great value (especially pre-owned). Sure the dials are a little busy but that’s part of the appeal to me. A lot of technical prowess giving a lot of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:01 PM   #23
tng11
"TRF" Member

I've always thought of buying a secondhand IWC Perpetual Calendar because it's so affordable for a high complication like that. But I've never come close to pulling the trigger though - none of them really speak out to me like "I must have that watch!" I've also had the same thoughts about buying a Blancpain perpetual calendar/flyback chronograph - one of which was selling in my market for just $12,000, but also couldn't bring myself to buy it as it didn't really sing to me. In that respect, I'd much rather save longer and get a AP or PP perpetual.

I also didn't know that IWC's aftersales service was that bad.

I've only owned one - a limited edition Pilot watch. Bought it from the boutique and never wore it, thankfully I didn't lose anything, but it would be the last time I buy an IWC at list price!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:14 PM   #24
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I just missed a Blancpain fifty fathoms perpetual, sold by a well known seller for a miserly $8750..sigh... the great thing about the Blancpain is the absolutely painless way of setting the calendar using the 4 small buttons on the back of the lugs, so you don't have to keep it on a winder if you're not wearing it... I think it's quite beautiful, but that's me....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 08:42 PM   #25
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I just missed a Blancpain fifty fathoms perpetual, sold by a well known seller for a miserly $8750..sigh... the great thing about the Blancpain is the absolutely painless way of setting the calendar using the 4 small buttons on the back of the lugs, so you don't have to keep it on a winder if you're not wearing it... I think it's quite beautiful, but that's me....
...and another one to add to my list!!
Old 24 October 2017, 08:45 PM   #26
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I've always thought of buying a secondhand IWC Perpetual Calendar because it's so affordable for a high complication like that. But I've never come close to pulling the trigger though - none of them really speak out to me like "I must have that watch!" I've also had the same thoughts about buying a Blancpain perpetual calendar/flyback chronograph - one of which was selling in my market for just $12,000, but also couldn't bring myself to buy it as it didn't really sing to me. In that respect, I'd much rather save longer and get a AP or PP perpetual.

I also didn't know that IWC's aftersales service was that bad.

I've only owned one - a limited edition Pilot watch. Bought it from the boutique and never wore it, thankfully I didn't lose anything, but it would be the last time I buy an IWC at list price!

I can relate. I like them, but don’t love them. But there is a practical appeal of a “bargain” high complication.
Old 25 October 2017, 12:58 AM   #27
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
to be honest, they aren't bad looking. But quite thick...

Old 25 October 2017, 10:29 AM   #28
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
How would you rate your satisfaction with JLC service? Just curious

Sorry for the diversion OP.
Excellent service normally from JLC. Which is bizarre as both IWC and JLC are Richemont.