The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2017, 04:08 PM   #91
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Did you know the square root of 5711 is 5522.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 08:37 PM   #92
Corey986
"TRF" Member

This thread started out about the younger crowd, so let me bring it back to that a bit.

On the weekend my son and I did a campus visit to Seton Hall, he’s a senior in high school. For some reason in the past few weeks I have become hyper conscious to see what people are wearing on their wrist. Maybe it’s because of a conversation I had with a coworker about his $1500 iWatch vs my Nautilus (yes he freaked out when I told him the price and yes I told him over time he will spend more on disposible Apple watches than I spent on the Patek), anyway I noticed all the college kids wore watches, not smart watches but real watches. The parents all had smart watches or fitbits on. I asked my son, who is into watches, if he noticed. He said yes and that they wear real watches because they can’t trust that their phone/iWatch battery isn’t dead. So they always wear a real watch so they aren’t late to class. So I think until they come up with a smart watch that can charge a power reserve using a rotor, the younger generation is discovering why people need a real watch. This can only help companies like Patek as these kids get older and have some disposable cash to spend.

One final thought, I had a smart watch and of course I said how I could never live without it once I got one. Eventually the novelty wore off and now I don’t use one unless I’m working out and that is as a health tracker.

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 10:46 PM   #93
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I never see young people wearing watches. They are into connectivity. They see utterly no value in mechanical watches. Long term the watch industry continues its steady retrenchment. Its nobodies fault, technology simply moves on and changes what we use and how we do things, like telling time.
For my sins I was watching X-Factor, the UK's American Idol, the other day and I was surprised to see many of the trendy young boys were wearing big conspicuous fashion watches. Obviously these shows are all about style and fashion, so maybe there is still enough desire at the high street level for trendy fashion watches for these even to survive against Apple and the like.

At the luxury level there is no danger of a huge shrinkage in the market as 99% of Rolexes are bought as show-off statement pieces. Men don't have many alternatives to display their status, other than cars, which are not really in direct competition, so luxury Veblen watches will always have a market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 10:56 PM   #94
behardt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
Yea I’m going to have to disagree with this. As a millennial, all of my friends care about experiences more. Likewise, I don’t think anyone is willing to play the little games to get these watches. The scarcity of nautiluses isn’t driven by millenials. It’s driven by either collectors who are willing to wait months for a piece, or by people looking to make a quick buck flipping them.

I am planning to get a 5167 or a /1a next year, and if it’s not available when I’m ready I’ll visit go buy a Devon an explorer and a seamaster and move on.
Agreed. This is the Amazon 2 day shipping crowd (and they wanted 2 hr, and got it...). Most of them don't care about history or exclusivity. As many have already said, their feelings are:

1) Why would I have to go to a store to get it. I just want it to show up at my house. AD "experience" - I'd rather be hanging out with my friends.

2) Wait lists and pretentiousness are non-starters. They are much more inclusive and value kindness more than my generation (in general :).

I still see a small group that values these types of things, but that group has radically shrunk and continues to shrink. Also, from what I've seen, it's the ones without the finances. I personally don't think this one is going to turn back. If they are going to hook they new generation, they are going to have to be much more open to change and listening to their new potential customers.
Old 21 October 2017, 03:42 AM   #95
Watch Admirer
Banned

Millenials only care about flaunting their possessions to others, whether they are rich or not. If they acquire something new and up to date, it’s only for showing the world they have it. Sames goes for them buying watches. Zero attachment to history of the band. Experiences are also shared on social medias. Such a shame what the new generation is made of - brats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 04:16 AM   #96
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Much of the market follows what hip hop stars are wearing and rapping about. Interestingly, a lot of rappers are on about PP now after mainly going for Rolex, AP and Mille:

Bust it down, bust it down, bust it down
This is a hundred Patek, twenty more for Piguets
Boardin' a jet with a quart on my neck
Make her go board a plane with a brick on her breasts (hey!)
I shoulda played for the Mets (Mets)
OG two-tone my Patek (two-tone)
Makin' these bitches obsessed
Makin' these niggas grip TECs (ahh)
Flex on my ex (flex)
Like my boy Khaled say, know we the best
She saw the Patek and got undressed for sex ('Tek)
Damn I'm so dranked that I saw a T-Rex
Unleashin' the beast and I beat on my chest
Ah, uh, step on the peds (step on the peds)
Patek on my flesh
Lambo wings, fly out the nest
We do not settle for less (who?)
I'm in the ghost with no head (ghost)
I'm thankin' the Lord 'cause I'm blessed
And some of my niggas, they dead (rest in peace)
Pockets on Gotti
We pull out the street in big body
Might pop a wheelie, Kawasaki
We make the profit and cop it
As soon as they drop it
Money fallin' out of my pocket (hey!)

I got Patek on my arms
I got Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I had to ice out my arms
I done iced out my charms
I had to ice out my arms (Phillipe!)
Niggas gon' watch at the arms (unique!)
I put some ice on my arms (woo!)
I got Patek on my arms (ah!)
I got Patek on my arms (ice)
I had to ice out my arms (ice)
I done iced out my charms (2ce, ice, woah, woah)

I put VVS' in my Patek, who want static? (21)
Nigga don't touch my watch, it's gon' be tragic
Keep that bratchet (fire)
Tennis chains and tennis bracelets
Nigga like I play at Wimbledon (21)
Gang, gang, bitch
Y'all niggas actin' feminine
Gang, gang, bitch
We gon' pull up on your Sprinter and (21)
Ice on my neck and on my arm, it's drippin' (ooh, drippin')
Saint Laurent sweater, lil' bitch this ain't no Coogi (yep)
Bitch you shop at JCPenney, you not bad and boujee (21)
Patek drippin', Hublot drippin'
And I got a bust down Rollie, cost sixty (21)
Audemars bust down cost one-fifty (21)
Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up
I got keys, I got keys like Khaled (keys)
My bed Tempur-Pedic, I got an M in the mattress
Lil' bitch

I got Patek on my arms
I got Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I put Patek on my arms
I had to ice out my arms
I done iced out my charms
Niggas gon' watch at the arms (unique!)
I put some ice on my arms (woo!)
I got Patek on my arms (ah!)
I got Patek on my arms (ice)
I had to ice out my arms (ice)
I done iced out my charms (yeah, yeah)

The Patek Phillipe sit right on my wrist
With a super bad bitch, eatin' right at Phillipe
Plus she fuckin' with a winner
Jury lookin' like a slushie
Fresh up out the blender
Maybe I hit her, maybe I didn't
Even if I did, I don't remember
Been a player since the very beginning
Stones in my charm, never my denim, no
Chain flooded like the livin' room
Incredible
Rappin', it was either that or sellin' dope
Shit, let the dice roll
Now diamonds all on top of diamonds, huh?
Drippin', gotta let you know I gotta go
Catch you anywhere, you get strong-armed
I'm talkin' upstream on a paddle boat
Okay one car, two shoes
You in hot water like a pack of noodles
Yeah, wife-beater, no tattoos
Like Wu-Tang, my cash rules, yeah
Brand new Richard Mille and it's turbulent (turbulent)
'Bout to swap the Patek for the Vacheron (switch it!)

https://genius.com/a/dj-khaled-s-new...ilippe-watches
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:21 AM   #97
martinr
"TRF" Member

Proof that hip hop sucks big time.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:36 AM   #98
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Millenials only care about flaunting their possessions to others, whether they are rich or not. If they acquire something new and up to date, it’s only for showing the world they have it. Sames goes for them buying watches. Zero attachment to history of the band. Experiences are also shared on social medias. Such a shame what the new generation is made of - brats.

This response is completely unnecessary. You’ve had questionable ones lately.
Old 21 October 2017, 05:49 AM   #99
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I think now in today's age young professionals care more about modern watches like apple watch instead of classical watches.
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:01 AM   #100
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
i disagree (at least for 1990/2000s) but still lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:28 AM   #101
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You seem fun!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:50 AM   #102
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
As someone in their early 20's, I will gladly wait for however long I need to for a 5131 :D. As for the nautilus, in general I have no issue waiting if it's a true want, but I cannot say that the nautilus is a true want. At least right now, but who knows in the future!
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:16 PM   #103
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Quote:
Ironclad evidence. Case closed.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:11 PM   #104
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
i disagree (at least for 1990/2000s) but still lol
When I lived in Oakland in the eighties and early nineties Chuck Johnsons Soulbeat TV had some entertaining early stuff, today's stuff I find crass and detrimental to society.
Here's my contribution.
I got a Patek
It's an automatic
I'm really fun
Cause I got a gun
I love me my ho's
Just so everybody knows

Thank you
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:21 PM   #105
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Why is it that when the Patek word is written/spoken some true class rises to the surface.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:32 PM   #106
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post

thats an overgeneralization to say the least. As an early millennial myself i gravitate toward PP or AP vs Rolex specifically because less people will know what it is. Watches are for my enjoyment not for other people to see what i have. The only place i share my pics is on TRF which is appropriate to flaunt wrist shots as its a place of like minded individuals.

I also have several PP books including the authorized biography. I can't wear it, but it does give me all the brand history which apparently i shouldn't be interested in.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:10 PM   #107
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
When I lived in Oakland in the eighties and early nineties Chuck Johnsons Soulbeat TV had some entertaining early stuff, today's stuff I find crass and detrimental to society.
Here's my contribution.
I got a Patek
It's an automatic
I'm really fun
Cause I got a gun
I love me my ho's
Just so everybody knows

Thank you
keenly waiting for verse 2!
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:08 PM   #108
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWazo View Post
As someone in their early 20's, I will gladly wait for however long I need to for a 5131 :D. As for the nautilus, in general I have no issue waiting if it's a true want, but I cannot say that the nautilus is a true want. At least right now, but who knows in the future!
It's worth waiting for young man!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 03:05 PM   #109
whysleep
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/SD4000
I'm 28, I have 4 Rolex at the moment. I have the income now to purchase a 5167, and would like to. But Patek AD, I feel the sales people don't treat me seriously. They tell me about the waiting list, then give me the spiel on if I had a history buying with them they can get me one sooner. I mean, Its hard to build a history when I get left with a bad taste in my mouth.
whysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 03:09 PM   #110
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysleep View Post
I'm 28, I have 4 Rolex at the moment. I have the income now to purchase a 5167, and would like to. But Patek AD, I feel the sales people don't treat me seriously. They tell me about the waiting list, then give me the spiel on if I had a history buying with them they can get me one sooner. I mean, Its hard to build a history when I get left with a bad taste in my mouth.
my biggest piece of advice to any young buyer is to chose AD's carefully. One that sells Rolex, AP, PP, and as many brands as you like at the same location. Often times the other purchases help when trying to source a popular Patek. Its really hard if you have a decent collection but not Pateks and go to a stand alone PP AD and start from scratch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 03:23 PM   #111
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Or, like any good millennial, you realize buying from an AD may be inefficient and overpriced, and you find an online presence.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 03:24 PM   #112
Star Ferry
Banned

If someone just wants a Nautilus/Aquanaut, and has no history with any Patek AD, would the gray market not be worthy of their consideration

I'd rather pay 29 or 30 thousand dollars for a LNIB white dial 5711 than beg for years to buy for 25,000

Now if a customer wants to build a proper Patek collection, I understand that this would be a bad route to take. But a lot of people seem to only want 1 or 2 sport models.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 06:23 PM   #113
whysleep
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/SD4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my biggest piece of advice to any young buyer is to chose AD's carefully. One that sells Rolex, AP, PP, and as many brands as you like at the same location. Often times the other purchases help when trying to source a popular Patek. Its really hard if you have a decent collection but not Pateks and go to a stand alone PP AD and start from scratch.
Yea, feeling that. I bought my Rolexes, never thinking I would buy a Patek or really knowing what it was. Knowing now, I should have bought with a AD that sold Patek's. I currently only desire, the 5711, 5167 in rubber strap. Who knows how my tastes will change. I'm not at a stage where I can buy $100,000 in a AD to get a chance at 5711 for retail price. I can understand Patek limiting 5711, 5167 like Rolex SS Daytona's, think it does good on longevity for the brand. At the moment I will have to go the Grey Dealer route.
whysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:06 PM   #114
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysleep View Post
Yea, feeling that. I bought my Rolexes, never thinking I would buy a Patek or really knowing what it was. Knowing now, I should have bought with a AD that sold Patek's. I currently only desire, the 5711, 5167 in rubber strap. Who knows how my tastes will change. I'm not at a stage where I can buy $100,000 in a AD to get a chance at 5711 for retail price. I can understand Patek limiting 5711, 5167 like Rolex SS Daytona's, think it does good on longevity for the brand. At the moment I will have to go the Grey Dealer route.
Call around 5167's are out there
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 12:59 PM   #115
OP15
"TRF" Member

I'm 31 and have a passion for watches. Many around my age and younger do not; however, I think the same can be said for those who are older, as well. And there are those who appreciate it but are not in the position to buy one, yet. I think it comes down more to those who appreciate special timepieces and those who do not, maybe more so than age. Just my two cents (and personal observations).

Like Tyler, I'll only post a picture of my watch on this forum. I wear my watches for the enjoyment and appreciation for the watch I'm wearing.

Unfortunately, when availability is an issue, the relationship matters, and those who are older, and perhaps have a longer, more established relationship, will get the call first. I know it's been mentioned before on this thread (and unfortunately I know this), with Hermes, the sought after bags never make it out of the stock room. The Sales Associates are checking shipments and calling their clients immediately. Fortunately, for watch lovers, the brands don't dictate what we are allowed to buy in a given year.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote