The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 October 2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Grey Side of the Moon - OPINIONS PLEASE

Hi Everyone,
Thankfully I have a new PAM and Breitling on the way and am in that type of “crazy” purchasing mood...what are the thoughts or consensus on the above piece? I’ve yet to see one in person but it looks fantastic in pics. Wondering how it would wear compared to my DSSD and other 43/44mm watches. I’ve also had no experience with Omega’s ceramic cases either. Thanks all! Sláinte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 08:11 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I love mine..wears much smaller than its size and the dial is killer...not to mention the crazy lume. Very versatile on the stock alligator. I think it's a steal at the going rate now, a lot of watch for the money.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Is this particular watch not very popular? I suppose based on the responses, not many owners...

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 03:42 AM   #4
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I really like the watch, but it's just a tad too large for my taste and I have 2 Speedy Pros already - black and white dials.
Old 17 October 2017, 03:50 AM   #5
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I think it's amazing and I prefer it to the dark side.

That being said, it's a little too big for my 7.25 inch wrist. Also, despite being very wrist aware, I'm paranoid about ceramic as a case material.

As many would tell you, don't pay retail. Should be aiming for 25% off.

You should definitely check it out. Looks good in pictures, but I think it looks better in person.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:31 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I only had the SS version before, so I can only speak of how it wears and the movement.

I think it (the size) wears good even for smaller wrist on strap. But its a thick watch and no question about that.

I love that movement. column wheel with vertical clutch, 60hr PR, 2 sub dials. The buttons are a joy to operate. And the case back is perfect for showing it off. But that's why the watch is tall with dome crystal on both sides.

I went with SS because it didn't trust myself with the ceramic material. I change strap a lot, I don't know how good would the spring bar holes hold up with the constant popping in and out of the spring bars during strap changes.

In a perfect world, I would still have it. But ultimately it got replaced with Speedmaster Pro because its more *historic* and I could only have one at that time.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Ctaranti
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Rolex,Omega
I have had my Grey Side for some time now and think it is a terrific piece. The color is really attractive and this watch can be worn in a more formal/dressy as well as casual way - very versatile
The case shows no sign of wear, as the ceramic really holds up much better than steel.
The case is fairly large, but wears comfortably as the ceramic is lighter than an equivalent steel watch.
I can't imagine you would be disappointed with this watch as it offers a unique look, and has a great in-house movement.
Ctaranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Thankfully I have a new PAM and Breitling on the way and am in that type of “crazy” purchasing mood...what are the thoughts or consensus on the above piece? I’ve yet to see one in person but it looks fantastic in pics. Wondering how it would wear compared to my DSSD and other 43/44mm watches. I’ve also had no experience with Omega’s ceramic cases either. Thanks all! Sláinte.
It's a really nice watch and quite special IMHO. I tried it along with the DSOTM (the later version 311.92.44.51.01.007) at an AD and ended up getting the DSOTM because it seemed more versatile in terms of color and matches my small wrist better. It can look premium but it can look sporty.

The GSOTM however has a really nice dial, very sparkly, you have to see it live to understand. It's still versatile, but not as much, IMO. Both are nice, so it's a matter of taste. Some people got one and then ended up getting the other. That's too much for me, but after wearing both I could see why.

As for ceramic, the ZrO2 Omega is using is brilliant. Some people have had the original DSOTM (2013) and say it still looks absolutely like new after 4 years. Zero scratches, only the strap gets worn out.
ZrO2 is 4x harder than steel. The Titanium+ZrO2 foldover clasp is also great and scratch proof. As for the 9300 movement... I'm getting +1.2s/day consistently (had it for almost 2 years). The rotor is a bit loud but that's about all the [tiny] negatives I can think of.

Here's a little gallery of mine.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:29 AM   #9
Kutay
"TRF" Member

I love my GSOTM. Do not worry about the size , it fits perfectly even on 6.5 inch wrists. If you are planning to buy new choose the deployant clasp version. I recommend you to buy used, they are available at great prices and since the ceramic case is scrathproof no need to pay 2-3.000 more for the new. Just buy a new a strap and enjoy.

Last edited by Kutay; 19 October 2017 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Kutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Jayhawks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Appreciate everyone’s input here. Timely thread for me. OP, I’ve tried it on several times over 1.5 years and it fits nicely on my bony 6.75” wrist. I opted for the buckle to keep the price down, but I’ll likely add the deployant at a later date once the ‘sting’ wears off.

Let us know when you pull the trigger!

Jayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 02:46 PM   #11
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

I have the DSOTM but tried the Grey while choosing.
Is a great watch with a great movement. The material is fantastic and will look brand new for many years. No problems with scratches or fade.
Old 1 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #12
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I don't buy dark side of the moon watches any more because I have experienced too many production quality issues. Mainly these issues surround the crystal. There is an outter anti reflective coating that is defective and omega tries to charge you $1000 for a new crystal if it peels (it can't be repaired). Some omega centres will change it on good faith but many won't. $1000 for a crystal is enough of a deterrent for me to never buy these watches. No crystal is worth that much. I have also had dsotm watches where they forgot to apply the lume to various areas on the case and dial.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 03:34 AM   #13
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I don't buy dark side of the moon watches any more because I have experienced too many production quality issues. Mainly these issues surround the crystal. There is an outter anti reflective coating that is defective and omega tries to charge you $1000 for a new crystal if it peels (it can't be repaired). Some omega centres will change it on good faith but many won't. $1000 for a crystal is enough of a deterrent for me to never buy these watches. No crystal is worth that much. I have also had dsotm watches where they forgot to apply the lume to various areas on the case and dial.
I read about the AR coating before, it has happened in some models, when people kinda scratched them. Omega could probably skip AR on the outside of the crystal, that's why Rolex does not apply it.

I recall a user on the Omega Forums who totally removed AR coating from his crystal after he scratched it, so it's possible. No need to replace the whole thing.

Forgetting lume is unheard of... I saw a stainless steel Speedmaster where that happened, but it has to be rare. Plus Omega has pretty good service, it would be fixed under warranty.

All models have some QC issues (including Rolex). I think the xSOTM is really interesting mostly because the ZrO2 ceramic won't age. People have had these watches since 2013 (almost 5 years now) and say they look brand new - only straps and the AR coating can be scratched.