The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Lawisme
Banned

Regulation Question

Hi

I'm not interested in anyone flaming or trolling. This is a fairly simple question with perhaps a more complicated answer.

I have a watch that several months old. This watch loses about .7 or .8 s/d. Yes, I know that is well within SOSC spec. Less than one second .

MY QUESTION IS, WITH the 3135 movements, is there a way to Simply add one second? When they screw the four screws to tighten or loosen, can they do so where only one second is changed? Yes or no? Im kindly asking in advance that you Please not make up any other questions or Give opinions on how crazy I am. Thanks.
Lawisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 02:49 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawisme View Post
MY QUESTION IS, WITH the 3135 movements, is there a way to Simply add one second? When they screw the four screws to tighten or loosen, can they do so where only one second is changed? Yes or no?
Well, quick short answer = NO

There's no "quick simple way" to make watch run exactly 1s faster, there's no digital electronic governor that you can just punch in the required adjustment and the system simply obeys.

It's a mechanical analogue device that obeys the laws of physics alone. Rotational momentum of balance wheel vs elastic properties of the hairspring. Reduce effective momentum by pulling weights closer to axle makes it oscillate higher frequency, experienced watchmaker would be able to roughly judge how much to adjust by at first shot, but nobody would know for sure until it's tested running again.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Lawisme
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Well, quick short answer = NO

There's no "quick simple way" to make watch run exactly 1s faster, there's no digital electronic governor that you can just punch in the required adjustment and the system simply obeys.

It's a mechanical analogue device that obeys the laws of physics alone. Rotational momentum of balance wheel vs elastic properties of the hairspring. Reduce effective momentum by pulling weights closer to axle makes it oscillate higher frequency, experienced watchmaker would be able to roughly judge how much to adjust by at first shot, but nobody would know for sure until it's tested running again.
Do they twist all 4 screws ?
Lawisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Have a look here if you want to know how the tool used for adjusting the screws work:

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/ms.htm
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawisme View Post
Do they twist all 4 screws ?
No. In fact it highly unusual to have to move all 4. Typically it is just the larger pair.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:53 AM   #6
unreformed66
"TRF" Member

Quite honestly there's no way I would mess with a mechanical watch that's keeping time to UNDER one second a day. These are mechanical devices that are affected by all sorts of things like state of wind, temperature, position, the habits of the wearer and so on. Under one second a day is not only fine, it's great. I'd also be surprised if it is currently keeping exactly the same time in different positions. You didn't say if your figure comes from putting it on a timing machine or if you're comparing it daily to a "good" time source or some other method. If you need a watch more accurate than that then perhaps you ought to look into some of the modern "high accuracy" quartz watches. There are some very nice ones out there. I wouldn't worry about under one second a day and will say that if you do you might be tilting at windmills in your quest for better timekeeping.
unreformed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 07:13 AM   #7
Rustynuts
"TRF" Member

Watch: a new Sub 116610LN
It's a mechanical watch so surely being a few seconds out per day is more than acceptable. If I want near absolute accuracy I will go radio-controlled.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote