The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Breakerone

Watch: PAM 214,268, DSSD
PAM 328, Deepsea or even Bentley GT?

I'm really in the need for a watch with a steel bracelet, so I was going to a local store to ask for the PAM 328, which he didnt have. What he did have was a Deepsea and since I'm writing in the Panerai forum I have to admit, that I never had a Rolex on my wrist and always thought it wont suit me.
But damn, did I like this watch!
Taking the Deepsea into full consideration now, I also have to admit, that I was very positively surprised by the Bentley GT. I dont like Breitling so much, and I also have the impression that most Rolex and Panerai fans dont value them much, but in the end I wear it for myself, and this one looks good to me.

I'll attach the pics of all three for an easy comparison. I dont neccessarily have to buy just one of them, but it will be just one for now. Which one would you prefer? My only other serious watches are the PAM 214 and the PAM 268 and I want to go into a little different direction with the next buy, but even the PAM 328 is already pretty different.

Breakerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
lm21

Watch: Breitling+Rolex
Love your taste in watches! Something about steel bracelets - they are my preference as well...

I've had a Datora for a couple of years now and just recently got a Deepsea. I love both, but they have very different personalities. The Deepsea is now my daily watch. Since it's a sports model, I consider it more suited to daily wear and tear. It's big/tall, yet low key and has not attracted any attention whatsoever from people - even those who see me every day. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

The Datora is now my dress/occasion watch because it has that zing factor. It's definitely an attention-getter. The Bentley you're considering is even bigger than my Datora, so if you get it be ready for the stares and glances that will surely be coming your way.

Since the Pam is the only one of the three that I don't have, that's the one that naturally holds the most interest for me. I see it as being closer to the Deepsea in nature (low-key, very little bling factor), but with its own distinct personality. The bracelet on the Panerai is substantial and looks amazing - and I think it complements the rest of the watch very well...

Good luck with your decision and let us know what happens!
lm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Between that three...I will go between SDDS or 328.
Panerai look mnore good in leather IMHO.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 06:07 PM   #4
VazLube

Getting a Panerai model you want requires patience. You can't just walk in AD and expect a specific model in your mind be ready to be purchased. You might be lucky if its available. Just expand your model want list to get better chances. Otherwise ask your AD(s) to put your name on the list and play the waiting game. You'd be surprised how long some have been waiting for certain models!

If that appears to be discouraging to you, and want a new watch pronto, then Rolexes and Bretilings might be are for you.
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Breakerone

I wish my answers would be posted when I write them, but it seems it takes half a day for a moderator to check them, while the post then still appears at the time when I wrote it, so it appears right in the middle of all the new posts :(

Anyway, thanks a lot for your opinions. All of what you say is actually somewhat true. Like Trurolexer, I also like PAM's with a leather strap better, but what I need now is a watch with a steel bracelet, so I'll probably narrow it down to the other two.

Actually, without purpose I think I attached the pics in the correct elegance to bling order, like lm21 said it. I do have two very elegant watches already, so maybe for some contrast I'll go for a bit more attention this time and I also feel the Breitling will get the most attention.

But the choice doesnt get much easier by deciding between the SDDS and the Bentley. Apart from the design the most apparent difference is, that with the SDDS you can easily club someone down, while the Bentley, like all of the Breitlings, is a lot lighter. Sometimes I'd go so far to say that Breitlings always feel like a fake, cause they are so light that you get the impression its painted plastic or something.
So while the Rolex and its weight make it feel more substantial and possibly more worthy, it might also be its drawback for the exact reason I want the watch for, which is work. Walking around with a heavy watch is not a problem. Actually I even tend to like it. But sitting at your desk, typing like 10 hours a day on your keyboard WILL make you really feel the weight.

The second thing for me to consider is the general correct fit of a steel bracelet to my wrist. I had a Tag Heuer Monaco Chrono with a steel bracelet for many years, before I entered the higher price level with Panerai and somehow there was no perfect fit for my wrist. My wrist seems to have about 5 cm of the same thickness at exactly the space where a watch rests. So making it tighter can result in being always too tight or at least when its hot, while putting one more piece back into the bracelet leads to it hanging on my hand when I have the arm down or sliding all the way back on my arm, when I lift it. (Like on a steering wheel)
Considering this I thought, despite its massive weight the SDDS might even make more sense because of this on-the-fly bracelet adjustment for a total of 5mm. This might make it easy to have the correct size in hot or cold days or even in between the same day.
Can the Rolex be adjusted in 1mm steps, or is it just 5mm or nothing?

Damn, it really doesnt get easier. What do you guys think of Breitling in general? Was I right when I thought that there is a little aversion to that brand from Rolex/Panerai fans or did I only imagine that?

Edit: Oh, I seem to be out of the moderator control your post thing ;)
Old 10 August 2009, 02:36 AM   #6
lm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakerone View Post
... so I'll probably narrow it down to the other two.

...I think I attached the pics in the correct elegance to bling order, like lm21 said it. I do have two very elegant watches already, so maybe for some contrast I'll go for a bit more attention this time and I also feel the Breitling will get the most attention.

...Sometimes I'd go so far to say that Breitlings always feel like a fake, cause they are so light that you get the impression its painted plastic or something.
So while the Rolex and its weight make it feel more substantial and possibly more worthy, it might also be its drawback for the exact reason I want the watch for, which is work. Walking around with a heavy watch is not a problem. Actually I even tend to like it. But sitting at your desk, typing like 10 hours a day on your keyboard WILL make you really feel the weight.

The second thing for me to consider is the general correct fit of a steel bracelet to my wrist. I had a Tag Heuer Monaco Chrono with a steel bracelet for many years, before I entered the higher price level with Panerai and somehow there was no perfect fit for my wrist. My wrist seems to have about 5 cm of the same thickness at exactly the space where a watch rests. So making it tighter can result in being always too tight or at least when its hot, while putting one more piece back into the bracelet leads to it hanging on my hand when I have the arm down or sliding all the way back on my arm, when I lift it. (Like on a steering wheel)
Considering this I thought, despite its massive weight the SDDS might even make more sense because of this on-the-fly bracelet adjustment for a total of 5mm. This might make it easy to have the correct size in hot or cold days or even in between the same day.

Can the Rolex be adjusted in 1mm steps, or is it just 5mm or nothing?

...What do you guys think of Breitling in general? Was I right when I thought that there is a little aversion to that brand from Rolex/Panerai fans or did I only imagine that?
Ok, so now we're down to two - hey, that's progress!

The Breitling will definitely get more attention - count on it...

Weight is relative. When I got my Tag Kirium Chrono in the late 90's, I considered it a substantial piece. The Datora is heavier than that Tag, which is small by today's standards. I let several people at work look at my Datora off the wrist and ALL commented on how heavy it was. It just depends on what you're used to wearing. I would think that the Deepsea puts just about every other watch out there to shame wrt weight! I had very little issue going from the Datora to the Deepsea wrt size, but the extra weight took a solid week to acclimate.
Regarding desk work and typing all day, that's exactly what I do as an IT professional. I don't feel the extra weight at all, believe it or not. It's simply a non-factor while I'm sitting at my desk and on the computer/keyboard. If your work/desk setup has good ergonomics and wrist support, I wouldn't worry about it at all...

Both have nice features when it comes to fit. My Datora - and all the other models that share this style of bracelet - seems to be more flexible due to the way the individual links are designed. The Breitling just seems to fit the contours of my wrist better than the Rolex. However, having said that, the Rolex has the glidelock clasp which lets you adjust in 1.8mm increments on the fly. It's a great feature and the ultimate in convenience - check out this link for technical info:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=37035

Well, obviously, since I own a Breitling, I think the world of this brand. Others on the forum have criticized it for being too big/bold/brash/bling/blahblahblah and don't like the fact that they appeal to the hip-hop crowd. Well I say screw'em. Wear what you like/love! I was seriously considering a 213 prior to buying the Deepsea - how's that for contrasting styles?

I can't speak for others on the forum, but I would say most of us have a great appreciation for ALL watches. Some more than others of course, depending on taste. I'm personally fascinated by all types/brands of watches - Casio, IWC, Rolex, Patek, Tag, Panerai, etc... - and I think many feel the same way...
Old 10 August 2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Breakerone

You really dont make this easier ;)
But thank you so much for all the detailed experience. It helps a lot to know more about the watches, but it still makes me want both.
Also thanks for the link, it was great to see the features in detail, while I have to admit that I am still a bit confused about the possible adjustments. The text says its a total of 7mm, in another line it says 10x1,8mm, and then I somehow read it as if the SDDS has even two different systems at the same time to adjust the bracelet.

In any case, seems like I am stuck. I already feel it in the back of my head that I will end up buying both, but still need to decide which one first. Damn it. I'll probably let my wife decide ;)
Old 10 August 2009, 08:24 AM   #8
lm21

Quote:
You really dont make this easier ;)
But thank you so much for all the detailed experience. It helps a lot to know more about the watches, but it still makes me want both.
Also thanks for the link, it was great to see the features in detail, while I have to admit that I am still a bit confused about the possible adjustments. The text says its a total of 7mm, in another line it says 10x1,8mm, and then I somehow read it as if the SDDS has even two different systems at the same time to adjust the bracelet.

In any case, seems like I am stuck. I already feel it in the back of my head that I will end up buying both, but still need to decide which one first. Damn it. I'll probably let my wife decide ;)
There are two different systems for adjusting the bracelet on the Deepsea, but unless you're wearing it over a wetsuit you'll only use the glidelock mechanism. Hey if you have the means to purchase both at once, then go for it! This is a GREAT time to purchase such items. If you can find a retailer that has both models, I would imagine you could get a substantial discount on your purchase.

But if you have to choose, certainly you can't go wrong by letting the wife decide. My suggestion is to continue to visit as many different stores as possible and try on both models for as long as it takes for one to outshine the other. Also, you can see the bracelet sizing mechanisms up close on the Deepsea and ask them to show you how they work...

Again, good luck - let us know what happens!!!
Old 10 August 2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Dom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, FPJ
Panerai or Rolex for me. I am not a Breitling fan. The DSSD was too big for my taste when i tried it on (too high for a shirt) which kind of leaves you with the Panerai ...
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Changmaisausage
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Sorry Deepsea, Panerai in that order.

Something to consider in the future the Breitling has a poor resale value, both the Rolex and Panerai would hold their value in the future
Old 10 August 2009, 07:19 PM   #11
xbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hunting ...
If your wanting a piece that you can interchange with your Pams, then the DSSD is one serious watch to consider.

I got one the same day as my first Pam, also on a bracelet incidentally, and I happily swap between the two, loving them both!
xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
you already got two PAMs so a change will be good...ADDA is my suggestion, if you also like it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 09:14 PM   #13
Breakerone

Thanks for all the input.
Asadtiger, I guess you mean a daytona? I dont know, half a year ago I would have said, my first Rolex has to be a daytona, and its still a superb watch.
It just doesnt seem to fit my style. I seem to like bigger cases now, and while I'd say the SDDS could have done well with some mm less thickness, its still my favorite Rolex right now.
The thing is, I still cant discard the Breitling, even if some dont like the brand. Its just not exactly comparable. First things first, I wrote it all down for my regular watch merchant and I'll await his reaction on availability and prices for both. If he can get the PAM before I have to choose, it will still be considered.

As for availability in general, cause someone mentioned it, from my experience its easier to get a watch with higher prices. In Germany we have 2 or 3 major chain stores for jewelery with about some hundred shops worldwide, and each can check the availability of the others, so up until now one of them always had the watch I was looking for.
Its just that I dont like to buy from them, cause they like to get paid well and dont like to give more then 10% discount.
Old 11 August 2009, 03:33 AM   #14
snapster
"TRF" Member

i vote for the deepsea or may I suggest a GMTIIc if you don't want something as tall on your wrist?
snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 06:42 AM   #15
Breakerone

The GMT's case is bit too small, but more to the point, I personally dont really like the green arrow, I like the colors plain.
This leads me to another question, since I dont know how old Rolexes did look like, is this Daytona an old model or something?
http://www.authenticwatches.com/role...na-116520.html
The only black dial in my catalogue has red rings, while this one is pure black and silver. Is it some kind of limited edition or just a wrong picture?
Old 11 August 2009, 01:06 PM   #16
wristbliss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIc
Take it from someone who owns both a Panerai (111) and the GMTIIc. They are both great watches. You say the GMT is a bit too small but that is only relative to the cases on the Panerai and Breitling. IMHO I like having the option of being able to wear a "modest" size watch some days when I get tired of wearing my 44m Pannie. I also work at a computer everyday. Your stainless steel bracelet is going to get scratched up from the constant rubbing on the keyboard so just be prepared for that. The DSSD is a really heavy watch. I don't think this is going to really hit you until you've worn it for a couple of days straight but it is definitely something you will have to address at some point. Sometimes size does matter. By the way, the green hand is not a huge issue on the GMT. It doesn't scream at you. If you're holding off on the GMT b/c of the green GMT hand, I'd think again about your choice. Regardless, you're looking at 3 great brands. Good luck with your choice. Let us know what you decide.
wristbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 01:36 PM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
328,although i prefer the old style PAM bracelet.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 07:22 AM   #18
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Lots of good advice up there. I'll throw in my $.02.

Love PAMs as well and I have a 251 Daylight. Since you already have one then I would try something different. I bought a bracelet for mine and I love to swap it on there every once in a while. I love the old style curved links and I really dislike the new one. Not sure why they changed such a classic design. Keep that in mind.

It seems you like black/dressy or more classic styles. ie you did not go for a red/blue GMT or some other colorful design. If the GMT and Sub are too small then the DSSD is of course a great choice. I do have a DSSD and I love it. I think it can be worn daily and the weight or size is not an issue for me.

The bracelet is truly amazing. Yes it can be adjusted in tiny increments. You'd be amazed at how comfy it is to open it one notch on a hot day. The other section is a diver extension that is a huge expansion so it fits over a dive suit. They NEED to add this to all watches.

I just recently aquired a Breitling and I do love it. The Bentleys are amazing looking. My advice is similar to others. I think you will like the Rolex and keep it for many years. I would buy a Breitling next year or later when you can. I do not knock them but they are a good watch to fill out a collection.

Also I made a collection that has a variety. Maybe you aren't like me, but I like the black face of the DSSD, then the white face of the 251, then an orange Doxa etc. Its fun to have different looks. Some dressy, some classic, some flashy etc.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask or PM any questions you may have!
Old 12 August 2009, 01:12 PM   #19
lm21

Surprisingly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Panerai or Rolex for me. I am not a Breitling fan. The DSSD was too big for my taste when i tried it on (too high for a shirt) which kind of leaves you with the Panerai ...
...many of my shirts have been able to accommodate the Deepsea! Actually more have than have not. Many of my shirts have two buttons and the second one generally gives plenty of space for the watch...
Old 12 August 2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Breakerone

Hey Mark, I just clicked your link and saw the pics from your Deepsea. Man, this watch looks gigantic on you!!
You were saying its not an eyecatcher? I'd say people will look at your watch first, it looks like the watch is wearing you ;)
And I mean that in a positive way, its really cool. The pics kinda shove me more into the SDDS direction.
This weekend I'll find the time to go back to the store and let them adjust both watches correctly to my wrist, so I have a real comparison and know how they feel.

Then I'll have to overcome the secondary problems. Where to buy and at what price. I dont neccessarily have to watch the price, but on the other hand I like to pay the lowest price possible if there are no negative sideeffects. My regular small watch seller, which gives me about 20-25% sadly only has the Breitling, which doesnt seem to have an availability problem in general, but the Deepsea seems to be handled like a Daytona. Its going to sell anyway, so discount gets difficult and he cant even get it right now.

He'll get more options in the beginning of September, when all large watch wholesale stores come back from August holiday, so I'll wait until then to see if he can get it and at what price and then make my final decision.
Old 12 August 2009, 08:47 PM   #21
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
If the criteria is for a bracelet then the SDDS is the best choice, PAMs to me are about straps, not bracelets.

I would add that i believe the DSSD is a totally pointless watch, it's been made to do a job that is never going to happen with any owner, the small dial, small bracelet and the look have all occurred because they wanted to have a watch that could go down to a silly depth, but it just doesn't look right and is far beyond any tool watch on the market, and that's not a good thing.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 09:06 PM   #22
Breakerone

Actually I dont care much about functionality or even resale values. I just have to like the look of the watch. Of course, the 3900m thing is just for prestige, but that doesnt matter. How much am I going to use the split second function of my PAM 214? Its worthless. People will hardly ever use the stop watch function at all. (The 8 days function on the other hand is priceless)
I still had to pay the difference of 3k for this watch over the regular Radiomir Chrono for one small small detail. The outer ring has a line around it on the regular Chrono. I did not like that white ring at all, so I had to pay for not having it.

And so I just like the look of the Deepsea. The Submariner is essentially optically the same watch of course, but next to the Deepsea it feels like a playmobil watch. Of course thats a matter of personal preference, and I like massive watches. Someone else might say the Submariner has the perfect weight and the Deepsea feels like a brick attached to your wrist.
I always felt some kind of dissapointment, when I saw nice watches on peoples wrists and when they gave them to me for a closer inspection, they somehow felt like light plastic. Thats not the case with the SDDS ;)

Breitling has the same problem normally for me, but the Bentleys have a considerable weight, so its ok.
Old 12 August 2009, 09:36 PM   #23
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
If the bracelet is a big part of the equation, no question the DSSD is the way to go. I have always thought the simple elegance of the Oyster bracelet is stunning, and with the addition of the Glidelock clasp, Rolex has hit a home-run with the DSSD bracelet.

I'm not a big fan of PAMs bracelets...as others have said, those watches look great on leather, not so great on bracelets IMO.

I like some Breitling models (I guess I'm one of the few that likes big, chunky watches that have 'busy' dials)...but my biggest complaint with most of Breitling models is the polished cases/bracelets. I love brushed metal, and for that Rolex takes the crown.

Finally, for those that think the DSSD is too big, too thick, too heavy, ect...I ask if you have actually tried the watch for any length of time (read: longer than a few minutes in the AD store). I'm approaching 1 year of ownership of my DSSD and the watch has been on my wrist everyday...the only time it comes off is when I shower (sometimes...when it needs a good cleaning, it even accompanies me in there too). The watch is far from the massive paper weight some would have you believe and I can honestly say it is one of the most comfortable watches I've ever owned. I have many other watches in my collection, yet the DSSD has become my 'Go To' watch for 99.9% of my activities. Buy the DSSD...you won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 09:48 PM   #24
Breakerone

Love your pics, it sure looks great on your wrist. The dimensions look similar to myself.
As for the shiny Breitlings, I guess thats their niche and its the reason for the higher bling factor. Some like it, some dont. As for the exact watch I like, theres another version, the Bentley GT Racing. And the only difference is exactly that, the bracelet is partly brushed instead of totally polished.

Btw, seeing all your pics, I'd think it might be a funny idea if a new thread was made by the name of something like "My Rolex and the world" and it should have just one restriction, all people should take pictures in a very similar angle of their watch and have a preferrably special or nice looking place in the background. Some neverending thread having pics of Rolexes all over the most interesting places in the world.
Old 12 August 2009, 09:56 PM   #25
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Love your pics, it sure looks great on your wrist. The dimensions look similar to myself.
As for the shiny Breitlings, I guess thats their niche and its the reason for the higher bling factor. Some like it, some dont. As for the exact watch I like, theres another version, the Bentley GT Racing. And the only difference is exactly that, the bracelet is partly brushed instead of totally polished.
I hear ya...but for me, I try to avoid any type of polished metal on sport models. The few parts on the sides of my Omega SMP (and the DSSD/Sub) is about the most I can take. Here's the only Breitling that made it into my collection (for obvious reasons)...but alas, the wife made me agree to sell it if I purchased the DSSD. While I miss this Skyland Black Steel, I can't say I miss it enough to give up the DSSD.

moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 10:17 PM   #26
Breakerone

I'd say that was a good move ;)

Btw, I found pretty good resources on production units from all the PAM's, but can someone link me to production numbers of Rolex watches? Would be interesting to see that.
Old 12 August 2009, 10:57 PM   #27
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
Panerais look great only on straps .. steel bracelets make them look cheap. I'd go for the deep see.
Old 12 August 2009, 11:11 PM   #28
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Panerai in my opinion only looks good on a strap.
Metal bracelets are for Rolex or Patek Nautilus.
Try Panerai with a croc strap. You wont be disappointed.

As far as Bentley: go with Bentley GTC : you'll get more envious looks than with any watch.
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 11:25 PM   #29
Breakerone

Which one is the GTC?
Old 12 August 2009, 11:27 PM   #30
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote: