The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 February 2018, 08:02 PM   #31
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
All watches are available.

Sorry for adding another rant on TRF guys..... I’m just tired of the crying
Because not everyone in this crazy world has forgotten about definition "value for money"
Old 13 February 2018, 08:03 PM   #32
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:35 PM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
*Through*
Whoops. Thanks for the correction. :

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 12:50 AM   #34
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Because not everyone in this crazy world has forgotten about definition "value for money"
What am I missing about the value of money? I was always taught never to disrespect it.

Go buy an older WG Daytona for 20k and if you resell it you’ll get 15k.
Go buy a SS Daytona C for over msrp and get back 17-18k back.

I don’t buy things 100% based on value retention, but I’m not filthy rich where I can go buy a UN Freak and ALS Datograph msrp and lose 40k on each one the next day.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #35
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Forget SS. buy PM, they are available and now considered reasonably priced, compared to a 19K Daytona 500
This 100%.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:24 AM   #36
xIZeitgeistIx
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree and guilty as charged. Objectively the VC overseas (especially the new models) are killer watches. Simply awesome in the flesh with tons of little value add things like quick change strap system and extra included straps. It gets no love. Why? resale. People avoid absolutely spectacular watches and all chase the ones that we can sell later when we get bored without losing all our money. Thats not that many models out of the entire watch world that everyone is after. I dont even care about profit, i just dont want to lose half of my money.

Source: me... and why i dont have a VC overseas yet
I went Overseas and have never looked back.
xIZeitgeistIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 05:41 AM   #37
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
😂

I do agree with Wes though. This isn't just a matter of hot watches, there is a level of manipulation involved.
Part of the problem is actually "us"....we are so over excited about investment and future value, and resale value..."us" are out there flipping watches looking to sell for more than paid. So then the sellers adjust pricing as well, since you want to trade, sell or flip for high money.

We as enthusiast are full of a high percentage of flippers and people buying safe queens instead of actually buying to enjoy.
The problem is created by our state of affairs in this day, less production volume by the brand, rampant flippers, resellers, investors, and the guy who just wants the latest and greatest just to sell two months later, and the grey dealers who take advantage of the atmospheric conditions created by these events.

Best thing is be patient, if it's a new watch be more diligent in making calls, if it's out of production you are sol, pay to play or walk.

I've decided I want a SD4k, but if when I want to buy it they want to charge speculation tax and say something like $14k for a used watch, bye felicia, I'll just pick another watch, BLNR looks nice.
Agree completely.

We are the problem. Well not I, I'm cheap as ****.
Old 14 February 2018, 06:40 AM   #38
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
& what's the deal with airplane peanuts?
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:45 AM   #39
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
The way to sort out cheap bastards, just see who is crying.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:51 AM   #40
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
The way to sort out cheap bastards, just see who is crying.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 06:25 PM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIZeitgeistIx View Post
I went Overseas and have never looked back.
yeah, im making a conscious choice moving forward to start picking watches without possible resale/ value retention factored in. Watches based on merit alone regardless if they lose close to half of their value if i get bored.

Who knows, they might actually be keepers when selection takes place absent market factors. A VC overseas may indeed be in my future.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 08:51 PM   #42
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

Yes it’s true! 5711, 15202, DaytonaC, etc.
You can get any one of them!

But wait, not at retail? What do you mean the Patek salon doesn’t have a 5711 to sell you for 24k? The grey market is asking 40k? Let’s all grab our pitchforks and head down to Geneva!

Yes, there are people who get them for retail now. Many of them are guys who drop 250k a year though at full MSRP and no complaints. Why do they get them 1st? Well it’s becasue they keep them in business and bring other great clientele.

So you have to pay about 20k for a DaytonaC? You do understand that the grey market dealers are paying just about that too? One of our trusted sellers told me he sold a new white 116500 to another dealer for 20k. What’s the problem?

I think that lots of “vocal” people are mad they can’t get in demand watches, yet many are not in demand customers. There are truly people out there, including some on this forum that like to throw a tantrum online when they can’t get something for MSRP and make instant money (sell or keep). Where were these same people when these watches were readily available few years ago, even at discount?

Regardless of the economy, the premier watchmakers are here to stay and so will their tactics to control their brands.All of them have adapted to pushing expensive items as a lure to sell you the hot SS. On the plus side, since the market is tighter controlled, value in the Pre-Owned market place has skyrocketed.

There is a serious shift in wealth the past few years, and there are a serious amount of people with $$$ who don’t care about discounts etc. There is a wave of new customers who are spending more in a year than their traditional clients did in a lifetime. Because of this, prices change. It will be like this unless we get a UFO attack and aliens are eating people in the streets

Couldn’t agree more !

Those individuals who have unlimited resources to spend at an AD, without any regard for price are the only ones worthy of such timepieces. Hopefully these tactics will eliminate the low-life scumbag hard working individuals who have desires to own such.

Old 15 February 2018, 01:25 AM   #43
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
This is what is creating a rise in value, even if it is artificial.

I should think that most on this forum would be happy about that.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:39 AM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Couldn’t agree more !

Those individuals who have unlimited resources to spend at an AD, without any regard for price are the only ones worthy of such timepieces. Hopefully these tactics will eliminate the low-life scumbag hard working individuals who have desires to own such.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 03:05 AM   #45
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more !

That's very elitist of you.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 03:11 AM   #46
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more !

Dude you made my morning
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 03:52 AM   #47
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I reduced seven paragraphs into two sentences ................ that’s all !

Old 15 February 2018, 04:10 AM   #48
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
it doesnt bother me and it is quite funny.

if you can afford 9k for watch you can afford 10.5k. it is up to you to be the sucker that pays over list. that said if you want it go buy it.

the complaints are valid but incessant. people always want what they cant have and when they have it they want more. the blnr and hulk are great watches. but they arent worth a premium to msrp.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #49
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:

Yes it’s true! 5711, 15202, DaytonaC, etc.
You can get any one of them!

But wait, not at retail? What do you mean the Patek salon doesn’t have a 5711 to sell you for 24k? The grey market is asking 40k? Let’s all grab our pitchforks and head down to Geneva!

Yes, there are people who get them for retail now. Many of them are guys who drop 250k a year though at full MSRP and no complaints. Why do they get them 1st? Well it’s becasue they keep them in business and bring other great clientele.

So you have to pay about 20k for a DaytonaC? You do understand that the grey market dealers are paying just about that too? One of our trusted sellers told me he sold a new white 116500 to another dealer for 20k. What’s the problem?

I think that lots of “vocal” people are mad they can’t get in demand watches, yet many are not in demand customers. There are truly people out there, including some on this forum that like to throw a tantrum online when they can’t get something for MSRP and make instant money (sell or keep). Where were these same people when these watches were readily available few years ago, even at discount?

Regardless of the economy, the premier watchmakers are here to stay and so will their tactics to control their brands.All of them have adapted to pushing expensive items as a lure to sell you the hot SS. On the plus side, since the market is tighter controlled, value in the Pre-Owned market place has skyrocketed.

There is a serious shift in wealth the past few years, and there are a serious amount of people with $$$ who don’t care about discounts etc. There is a wave of new customers who are spending more in a year than their traditional clients did in a lifetime. Because of this, prices change. It will be like this unless we get a UFO attack and aliens are eating people in the streets

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

I had a rant a few days ago in another thread when someone was shaming a guy for admitting to flipping a few hot watches.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with someone legally taking advantage of a market opportunity and turning a profit. I do it every single day as a business owner. It's my job. It's what keeps a roof over my families head and food on their plates.

I may not like the fact that I'm struggling to get a 5711 blue for MSRP. But when I see them listed for 40K I feel no anger or hostility towards the seller.

I would very very much love to own a Picasso. I have a fine appreciation for art and I've always been drawn to Picasso's work. Yet I will never own one for obvious reasons. His work has become the quintessential Patek 5711 or Rolex Daytona. It's unobtainable because the wealthiest of the wealthy collect/trade/tax evade (lol) his artwork. OH WELL!!!!!

I know it's not the most relevant example, but to some degree the parallel is close enough. I don't think most people rant on a daily basis about not being able to own a Picasso!
Old 15 February 2018, 07:12 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

I had a rant a few days ago in another thread when someone was shaming a guy for admitting to flipping a few hot watches.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with someone legally taking advantage of a market opportunity and turning a profit. I do it every single day as a business owner. It's my job. It's what keeps a roof over my families head and food on their plates.

I may not like the fact that I'm struggling to get a 5711 blue for MSRP. But when I see them listed for 40K I feel no anger or hostility towards the seller.

I would very very much love to own a Picasso. I have a fine appreciation for art and I've always been drawn to Picasso's work. Yet I will never own one for obvious reasons. His work has become the quintessential Patek 5711 or Rolex Daytona. It's unobtainable because the wealthiest of the wealthy collect/trade/tax evade (lol) his artwork. OH WELL!!!!!

I know it's not the most relevant example, but to some degree the parallel is close enough. I don't think most people rant on a daily basis about not being able to own a Picasso!

Actually you could own a Picasso! Picasso did an incredible amount of work in his long career. Depending on your budget it would probably just be some scribbles on a small piece of paper though
Old 15 February 2018, 11:40 AM   #51
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
There's No Crying In Watch Collecting!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 04:42 PM   #52
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
There's No Crying In Watch Collecting!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 11:20 PM   #53
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Is this for real... a thread complaining about other threads complaining?!?!

In life there are always things in demand have it be property, cars, hotel rooms during a big event or luxury items such as watches, purses or shoes. With all those things it’s always either patience or pay to get what you want at the price that makes sense for you.

Pretty simple...
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote