The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 March 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
IWC vs datejust

Well, was considering getting a Datejust, but took a look at the IWC Spitfires. Had a few old models from last year still with the Black Face. very sharp, nice bracelets, domed crystal. Looking at the Regular Spitfire and the UTC Spitfire. Cost about same as a datejust. Anyone have any comments or comparrisions of IWC Pilot/Spitfires vs Rolex? Figure already have 2-3 Rolex, maybe should have some diversity.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, was considering getting a Datejust, but took a look at the IWC Spitfires. Had a few old models from last year still with the Black Face. very sharp, nice bracelets, domed crystal. Looking at the Regular Spitfire and the UTC Spitfire. Cost about same as a datejust. Anyone have any comments or comparrisions of IWC Pilot/Spitfires vs Rolex? Figure already have 2-3 Rolex, maybe should have some diversity.
Hi Chad,

I tried on a new style DJ while I was at my AD yesterday purchasing my SD.

While I loved every damn aspect about the watch, I still found the 36 mm size a bit small on my wrist. My friend, Don, was with me and he thought the new DJ looked great....so the Sales Manageress there.

But, you go with the one that smiles at you. The DJ's design is superb....only the size puts me off.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Yeah, the size looks a little small on me as well. One thing that i find funny here in thailand, at the Watch stores, is to see many Thais wearing Rolex Sport models. They just look way too big on their small wrist. Datejust looks perfect on most Thai men in my opinion, but not sport models. Actually, i am being picky, but think the 40mm is at the very upper limits of size, and the 36mm is too small. I like 39 - 38 mm. The IWC UTC is 39mm and the IWC regualr spitfire is 38mm. Also may get an Explorer II, with the sloped bezel it looks just a tad smaller and looks and fits my wrist perfect.
Old 18 March 2007, 12:28 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Yeah, the size looks a little small on me as well. One thing that i find funny here in thailand, at the Watch stores, is to see many Thais wearing Rolex Sport models. They just look way too big on their small wrist. Datejust looks perfect on most Thai men in my opinion, but not sport models. Actually, i am being picky, but think the 40mm is at the very upper limits of size, and the 36mm is too small. I like 39 - 38 mm. The IWC UTC is 39mm and the IWC regualr spitfire is 38mm. Also may get an Explorer II, with the sloped bezel it looks just a tad smaller and looks and fits my wrist perfect.
You've always loved the Exp-II, Chad. And at exactly 39 mm would be the ideal choice for you!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 March 2007, 12:39 PM   #5
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Hi Mate

IWC rocks. Get the new larger diameter marks, IWC watches are best when they are black dialed, with the military white triangle and nothing else, on a black leather strap. Ultra cool.

But they do not keep their value like a rolex. So if you get one, its for life or you will make a loss.

If you get a DJ, get it with a jubilee "rolex rolex rolex" dial, that is smooth mate. I never see jubilee dial dj for sale in used rolex stores. They just have a certain coolness to them.
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 02:17 PM   #6
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
I'd go Rolex over IWC only because it's exchangeable for hard currency if you need it in the boonies...having said that, cover it up with a cuff ;-)
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
leopardprey
Banned

Think I will get the IWC UTC and also the Rolex Exp II. Like them both. That will complete my watch collection! 4 watches is already too much. BUt, I like them, and if I ever feal I have too many - I will just look at some of Mike's photos of his collection!

Now the debate on the Exp II. New from AD here in BKK, or buy used here for about $3200 and take to the RSC here in BKK for a full service which should take 2 weeks? Will call the RSC tomorrow to see how much a full service is and how long it takes.
Old 18 March 2007, 11:22 PM   #8
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Is this the one you are thinking about?

bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 11:27 PM   #9
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I guess maybe you can go with the International Watch Company, but don't get to carried away. Remember where your roots are!
Old 19 March 2007, 01:57 AM   #10
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Maybe this won't be much help but I like both brands and I like having a variety of brands in my collection. If you think long term, I believe you will have to service the IWC a little more often and their servicing costs are a bit higher and will take longer--but in exchange you get a reliable watch that is well made and constructed in part by hand. Several people I know are very happy with IWC. That said, Rolex is obviously a "known quantity" for you and very reliable. I like the GMT and the Datejust just as much. In the end, I don't think you could lose either way. Good luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 03:20 AM   #11
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalkerVintage View Post
Is this the one you are thinking about?
Because if it is, I am partial to a Rolex GMT.
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 03:57 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalkerVintage View Post
Because if it is, I am partial to a Rolex GMT.
And so am I, Brendan!
Old 19 March 2007, 04:08 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
And so am I, Brendan!
Go get 'em, Tiger....this baby should be your next acquisition (being the TT lover that you are!!)

Old 19 March 2007, 06:15 AM   #14
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
JJ, I agree the new DJ looks small, I have a SS TOG it does not look as small to me as the other DJ do. Next time your at your AD try one on.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Go get 'em, Tiger....this baby should be your next acquisition (being the TT lover that you are!!)
Yes, but as beautiful as that baby is, I already HAVE a TT GMT-Master II (with Rootbeer dial, no less), JJ. I'm not one to have duplicates of my Rollies. I am still on target for that Bark DD as my next (whenever that may be). I'm very patient. The others have all "come to papa", so to speak! That one will as well!!!
Old 19 March 2007, 02:44 PM   #16
leopardprey
Banned

Yes, that is the IWC UTC I am looking at getting, but with the SS Bracelet. It is a great looking watch! Don't worry JJ, I am still a Rolex Fanatic! But that IWC is really nice and looks great on the wrist. Once you see one in person you will understand.