The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2007, 04:47 AM   #31
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarson View Post
He said "You are first person in Townsville I see with Oyster Perpetual." I said "Yes, it's new." He said "I have one. Made in '76 and I bought it in '78, but mine's real." Now THAT approach is a real ice-breaker.
Too funny! Did you correct him?
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2007, 05:01 AM   #32
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
Too funny! Did you correct him?

If I was a better man I would not have, but I did. He wasn't a bad bloke and I was pretty keen to talk to him about his '76 Sub. I'm the least expert person here so I'm not sure what he's got. Would I be right to say it's 5512 or 5513 from that era? He said he lost the bezel chopping wood with it about 5 years ago, so I just told him to use an axe next time. That settled the score.

He's going to send me some pictures, as I told him I had joined this forum and if he wants to crank up his '70s Sub, I thought I'd post them and see what you guys thought.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2007, 12:25 PM   #33
jaycee
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I've never had a stranger comment on my watch but occasionally co-workers ask "what did that cost" and I find that that, as a rule, they're not asking "are you rich", they genuinely want to know as they've no idea how much any Rolex model costs! Unlike say, my car, which is advertised a lot and everyone knows what it costs. In the UK at least, Rolex advertising never includes prices!

I don't mind telling them what I paid for the watch, to be honest. Most of the people I work with could buy a Rolex if they wanted to. We all know how much each other earns as the company publishes pay scales so it's no big deal really. I've only ever had appreciative comments about the watch and I'm sure a few people who've asked are now looking at buying one as they aren't as expensive as they thought.

It's not so long ago that I was in a similar situation..I'd never considered a Rolex as I'd just assumed they were too expensive. I'd never bothered to actually look up the price of a GMT Master!

What really does cheese me off is the "how accurate is it?" question. This invariably results in a conversation about the amazing £10 Timex that never gained or lost a second a day!

I think the cost of a Rolex is often overestimated. In the UK a cigarette smoker going through a pack a day could buy one simply by stopping smoking for 18 months and saving the money!

John.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2007, 12:31 PM   #34
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
...In the UK a cigarette smoker going through a pack a day could buy one simply by stopping smoking for 18 months and saving the money!...
Now John, that is the ideal advertising slogan for Rolex to adopt - "Quit smoking and buy yourself a Rolex in 18 months!"

I LOVE it!!!
Old 17 March 2007, 02:09 PM   #35
pcarson

Or... "Quit today, and you might outlast your Rolex"
Old 17 March 2007, 02:44 PM   #36
amanda
Banned

Quote:
In the UK a cigarette smoker going through a pack a day could buy one simply by stopping smoking for 18 months and saving the money!
John.
I got asked at Dinner Thursday night what my Panerai cost. I actually said... 'you smoke right?'
reply - 'yes'
'well if you gave up for a year, you could buy a Panerai'
reply - was a very serious frown... followed by 'oh ok'

Funny how people will look at our watches as a total extravagance but might spend $4 a day on a Starbucks, followed by a pack of smokes or a 6 pack of beer daily and yet our watches are a total extravagance!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2007, 02:53 PM   #37
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
As an owner, the question of "how much" is an uncomfortable one. I always feel like the natural follow up is going to be, "why would anybody spend that much on a watch?". I avoid answering the first at all costs (NPI). On the other hand, as a naive, inquisitive admirer... I can see where that would be a natural question.

If I thought it was a sincere question from someone who could easily afford one, they would probably already know or have the smarts not to ask and find out for themselves...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 03:12 PM   #38
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
If someone asks me what my watch costs, I offer them the suggested list price. I find if I say more they will question my sanity, finances, motives, or other stuff that I really do not want to get into.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 07:42 PM   #39
dispatchdan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT II
I have never been asked

But I did have a Blackjack dealer tell me she liked it!

And I did buy my frist and so far only Rolex GMTII last year,
three years after I quit smoking!

P.S. also one month before I got married, just in case.
dispatchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 07:43 PM   #40
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:

I think the cost of a Rolex is often overestimated. In the UK a cigarette smoker going through a pack a day could buy one simply by stopping smoking for 18 months and saving the money!

John.
Actually this is exactly what I did. I stopped smoking and after 2 years, I bougth myself a sub-date as a reward.
Erix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 02:10 AM   #41
puffnmo

People rarely ask me that question because I usually wear long sleeves to protect my Rolex's.

I would never ask anyone but a really close friend what their watch cost.

I love running into people who are passionate about their watches, and other hobbies too. A couple a years ago I was in a Sunglass Hut, and the salesman, a guy in his late 20's was wearing a platinum DJ. I asked him where he had aquired it, he said Tourneau. He had wanted it for a long time, finally just walked in and bought it. I say YEAH BABY!!!!
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 02:19 AM   #42
fat-sam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso Duoface
wow, have they got any jobs going!
i would love to be able to just do that salut to him
Old 20 March 2007, 02:37 AM   #43
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
What is the mystique surrounding Rolex that makes people that way. I think that the Rolex crown has somehow become the symbol of wealth to the average person!
Old 20 March 2007, 02:41 AM   #44
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
I was at a major sporting goods dealer over the weekend and the guy showing me some rifles had a White Gold, white dial YM on his right wrist.

He noticed mine and thereafter was almost obvious in not using his right hand to show any of the rifles to me.

When we concluded business, I said "By the way, what kind of watch is that?" He mumbled something under his breath, but slowly held it out...I spotted a poor fake almost immediately.

I just said, "oh" and left it at that. Thanked him and away I went.

He was pretty sheepish....(sorry JJ)
Old 20 March 2007, 03:28 AM   #45
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
my fave response to the "how much $$$?"
is simply this;
"don't remind me".

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 03:42 AM   #46
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Quote:

John.
I had a couple of smoker's make a big deal about my Rolex purchase also. The first thing out of my mouth was "How many packs of cigarette's do you smoke through in a week?" As soon as I said that, they both knew where I was going with it and dropped their interogation.

Out of my own curiousity, I tried figuring it out how much these guys must spend a year on smokes. Both smoke Du-Maurier's. I figured that they must each smoke a carton a week. They cost something like $85 a carton. That's $344 a month and $4128 a year. These character's have been smoking them since they were 15 years old!

Now you tell me who's wasting their money!
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 05:07 AM   #47
pcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
my fave response to the "how much $$$?"
is simply this;
"don't remind me".
I'm stealing this one! Very clever.
Old 20 March 2007, 09:09 AM   #48
mlb

Watch: DJ
I have only been asked by closed friends if that was a rolex. One asked my if it was real and how do you tell...But never how much $$$

mike
mlb is offline   Reply With Quote