The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2007, 08:54 PM   #1
DavoD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub LV
Green sub or SS Daytona T/T?

Hello Guys/Gals,

After many reserach and reading the web, I have decided to pull the trigger and now it comes to these two watch combos:

1. Green sub with lady DJ T/T(rose gold), to keep my better half happy . I can get this combo for around $ 11,202. This is from AD.

2. Wait another 3-4 months for Daytona SS with lady DJ T/T for $ 15,200.

This will be my first venture into Rollies, from what I've read here it is a very addicted hobby. I hope I don't get bitten by the bug.

I still don't get it, why would anyone pay similar price if not more for SS Daytona when you can get T/T SS any time for the same price. I knew it is about basic economic of demand and supply but hell, it is still Rolex Daytona plus more gold in it.

PS: Sorry my Englis is not very good.
Thank you.
DavoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well got to agree with you cannot see why all the hype over the SS Daytona.Its purely a fashion and price hike related thing,and agree the TT is a better looking watch IMO.Myself dont like the modern Daytona so perhaps a bit bias. So would go with the LV DJ combination but the ultimate choice must be yours

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 10:12 PM   #3
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
well i like the white daytona and im sure a lot of ppl on this board do too... and are willing to pay the extra price for it. but in this case i would have to say i would like the daytona combo.... i dont know if it is worth the extra 4K, but if money isnt a problem for you... yeah that's what i'd pick.
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 10:59 PM   #4
bwalkerVintage
Banned

I myself would go for the new TT GMT and the TT DJ for the lady. I also am partial to the TT Daytona over the SS model.
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 11:44 PM   #5
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoD View Post
Wait another 3-4 months for Daytona SS
Wow! They must be easier to come by over there!
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 01:19 AM   #6
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
maybe you're meaning either the SS Daytona or TT Daytona in another 3-4 months. The TT is probably easier to locate and purchase in that small a window of time.

I am not too fond of the Daytona model personally, but I'd suggest waiting til you can afford what YOU really want to wear.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 02:25 AM   #7
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I still don't get it, why would anyone pay similar price if not more for SS Daytona when you can get T/T SS any time for the same price. I knew it is about basic economic of demand and supply but hell, it is still Rolex Daytona plus more gold in it.

Thank you.
but they sure look different.....

how about option 3? which is to get the daytona and lv.....:P

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 03:00 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
2. Wait another 3-4 months for Daytona SS with lady DJ T/T for $ 15,200.
That's my vote

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 03:13 AM   #9
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Instead of green sub subsitute it for another fine Rolex (I would recommend TT Sub or GMT SS or TT whatever you like) As for the Daytona, Its a fine watch, But for the price of a SS model, Its nearly the same for a TT (Which is why i got my TT)
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 04:20 AM   #10
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I'd go with the LV combo you described. I cannot see paying $4K over retail for a watch that is admittedly VERY attractive but not really as impressive as its more attainable counterparts, IMHO. Especially as others have noted where a watch with 18k gold will run you about the same. It's okay for it to be a little over value, but more then 50% over retail....yikes.
That being said, if I were to pick a Daytona it would be that one. How does THAT make sense?!?!
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 05:16 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Would prefer the TT Daytona and Lady DJ combo any day. Never did care much for the LV.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 05:34 AM   #12
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Do most ADs charge way over MSRP for the SS Daytona? I have been told that I will get one in October. If they want to charge me 4 grand over MSRP they can keep it and sell it to some other sap. I'll move on from my obssesion to have one.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 06:06 AM   #13
DavoD
"TRF" Member

Well, it is about value for money in the long term. If I spend extra $4K now and knowing that the value of the T/T or SS Daytona will appreciate better than the green sub in the long run then is kind of OK.

I doin this case I guess the green sub is win over the Daytona.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:24 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

I'm of two minds here. If you can get the SS Daytona at list--that's the way to go. I think it's a stunning watch that's rather exclusive.

Otherwise I'd opt for the LV. Still a watch I've yet to see on another wrist outside an ADs.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 06:26 AM   #15
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

If you can get both from ADs at MSRP, I would go with a LV and a black SS Daytona. I love my combo.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 06:35 AM   #16
DavoD
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replay, I guess my head tell me why I should get suck in with the extra premium for the SS Daytona but my heart tell me IT is OK, It is only money. Not that I have grow them on tree here.

I will get my sister in Singapore to scout around for the SS Daytona. If I can get it at MSRP, it would be the way to go.

There is a second hand dealer that sell as new SS Daytona for about $ 11,000 here, comes with all the box and papers. It was purchased new in 2006 from AD (z serail number).

Do you think in the long run the SS or T/T Daytona will be more valuable than Green sub? I know it is like asking how long is a piece of string.

My head tell me don't get suck in with extra premium for SS DAytona but my heart tell me Go for It, it is only money, you deserded it, money you can always make but not SS Daytona, etc. Not that I have money grow on tree here. Anyone experience this?