The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 August 2017, 01:57 AM   #1
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster Bezel

I'm very interested in the Yachtmaster, especially with the Rhodium dial and blue seconds hand.
However, whilst it ticks many boxes for me, I am nervous regarding the durability of the bezel.
Obviously, it's not as durable as ceramic ones, so one would need to treat it with care, but when I look at some of the photos on the internet, it would appear that the sand-blasted finish becomes shiny over time and I'm not sure I could live with that.
Can anybody tell me if this is the case?
Gazza67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:17 AM   #2
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
platinum bezel does have scratch potential and its not easy to fix. Only Rolex RSC can bring it back to original condition. That being said many people tend to wear it as is and not worry about it. Its similar to your bracelet being scratched, at first you you want to polish every little ding out, but over time you learn to live with it. Scratches = character!
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:18 AM   #3
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Never heard of someone cracking a YM bezel so I would have to disagree on the durability reference.

Is it prone to more scratches? No more so than any other piece with a metal bezel.

The good news is that every service it will come back looking fresh.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 03:20 AM   #4
axelfoley
"TRF" Member

Here's my thread on this -- only up to you if you can live with it. I've decided I love the watch enough to keep it and not flip it for a ceramic model. I think the platinum bezel makes it difficult to use as a daily wear though. It WILL get scratched, but the scratches are only visible if you're looking for them. RSC can fix it but realistically you'll only service the watch every 5-ish years. I'll probably be getting a subC soon and saving the 116622 for special occasions due to the bezel.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=552253
axelfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 03:37 AM   #5
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Easiest fix for the smudgy polished links...brush them! I did it on my YM and it was the best thing I ever did to it.

I wear my YM to the office and out for dinner etc. I don't beat it up when I wear it so I've never had any issues with marking the bezel.

It wouldn't be a weekend beater though.
Old 30 August 2017, 04:04 AM   #6
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Yes-- no more than any other piece with a metal bezel ( ie the datejusts,explorers I and II, 5 digit Rolex sport models like the Sub, non ceramic daytonas, Milgauss, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Never heard of someone cracking a YM bezel so I would have to disagree on the durability reference.

Is it prone to more scratches? No more so than any other piece with a metal bezel.

The good news is that every service it will come back looking fresh.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 06:14 AM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
platinum bezel does have scratch potential and its not easy to fix. Only Rolex RSC can bring it back to original condition. That being said many people tend to wear it as is and not worry about it. Its similar to your bracelet being scratched, at first you you want to polish every little ding out, but over time you learn to live with it. Scratches = character!
Not only RSC can fix it, good independents can as well (Rikki)
Old 30 August 2017, 06:18 AM   #8
sager
"TRF" Member

The YM you are looking at is one of my favorites. Go for it!
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 08:15 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It should be fine if you have some wrist awareness, I do and not one mark in over 6 months.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 08:16 AM   #10
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I owned one to the plat dial versions and the scratch prone bezel is why I gave it up.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 08:51 AM   #11
jsukey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
I've had my Platinum YM for almost 4 years now, and have worn it almost every single day. I work hard and play harder, so it has definitely taken some abuse. It still keeps perfect time, and I still get compliments on it. I have put the Cape Cod polishing wipes to it a couple of times. Only after taping off the band so as to only hit the polished links. Don't crucify me over it though! I'm planning on keeping this watch the rest of my life, as it was my first. I think I've almost made up my mind on the Hulk being the next watch so I can have something to start rotating with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_img_9608.jpg (152.6 KB, 355 views)
jsukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 01:31 PM   #12
Wenga
"TRF" Member

Ive had a few , the scratch more easily than anything else , metal bezels included , still a great watch , just ordered the latest model
Wenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 04:08 PM   #13
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsukey View Post
I've had my Platinum YM for almost 4 years now, and have worn it almost every single day. I work hard and play harder, so it has definitely taken some abuse. It still keeps perfect time, and I still get compliments on it. I have put the Cape Cod polishing wipes to it a couple of times. Only after taping off the band so as to only hit the polished links. Don't crucify me over it though! I'm planning on keeping this watch the rest of my life, as it was my first. I think I've almost made up my mind on the Hulk being the next watch so I can have something to start rotating with.
You obviouslylove wearing this watch but, whilst I can accept scratches on the PCL's I couldn't live with the wear on that bezel.
Old 30 August 2017, 04:18 PM   #14
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info guys, I have a Z Blue and a DJ2 and are not too concerned about them picking up scratches here and there but, would obsess if the bezel ended up with a shine like some I have seen on eBay and John's post - is that what to expect?
Old 30 August 2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It should be fine if you have some wrist awareness, I do and not one mark in over 6 months.
It's a lovely reference Neil and I have admired the photos you have previously posted.
I have my DJ2 and my daily beater Z blue so that would limit the wear, this would be more for best.
Do you know if the whole bezel is platinum or just an insert?
Old 30 August 2017, 07:34 PM   #16
Yuma
Banned

Watch: 116613LB
Is the platinum bezel softer than stainless steel?

My guess is it would scratch very easily. Maybe just as easily as gold.

I am in the market for a 116622 /w platinum dial. Trying to get as much info about it before I pull the trigger.
Yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:10 PM   #17
Wildy
"TRF" Member

I have a blue dial from 2013. It was serviced at RSC London in April and looks as new. Go for it.

Rolex DSSD Blue
Rolex GMT LN
Rolex Yatchmaster Blue dial
Rolex Explorer 2 White
Old 30 August 2017, 09:24 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza67 View Post
It's a lovely reference Neil and I have admired the photos you have previously posted.
I have my DJ2 and my daily beater Z blue so that would limit the wear, this would be more for best.
Do you know if the whole bezel is platinum or just an insert?
Thanks. The bezel and insert are platinum.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 02:28 AM   #19
funNactive
"TRF" Member

I'm new here so the sight won't let me post any pictures until I have 10 posts.

Can a platinum YM bezel that is scratched & dinged up on both the polished & blasted areas be refinished? What would the approximate cost be?

Could/would Rolex replace it? Cost?
funNactive is offline   Reply With Quote