The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 March 2007, 02:37 PM   #1
jackson

Rolex submariner black dial A series

Dear all,

I reside in Singapore. Recently, I'm thinking of buying a rolex for my father as a birthday present. he does not mind a pre-owned one.

Can i know what will be a reasonable price to pay for an A series 2000 rolex submariner black? The condition is like new, just serviced 6 mths ago. the 2nd hand dealer in my country is asking for USD$3000 is it a worthy buy.

Thank you very much in advance.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hi Jackson
Welcome to the forum. Without having my finger precisely on the pulse, a 2000 submariner is a great watch, it has the 3135 calibre movement (current).
A new sub maybe close to US$4000 retail. If the "A" series has the original warranty certificate from Rolex (you know with the punched numbers) I would say $3,000 is quite a reasonable buy.
My advice is to have a look on e-bay and see what they are going for there, if the prices are around that figure, even if a little less than $3,000 then I would go for the "A" series. One thing to consider is that a 7 year old watch maybe looking at a service very soon, if the watch has never been serviced by Rolex before. A Rolex service could set you back SG$500-$1000. This is something important to ask the seller and ensure that if he says it has been serviced recently, to get documentation issue by Rolex to substantiate the same.
In the end go by how you feel about the integrity of the seller, if that's O.K. then look more carefully at the watch.
Cheers.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
i think its a fair price for a 7 year oldwatch. not a GREAT price. but its fair. depends on what condition the watch is in and what series it is (rolex goes by series not yrs). so definitely note the condition for the watch.

p.s. i think its cool that ur buying ur dad a rolex. never forget about the parents.
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Welcome To The Rolex Forums To Be Ohinist it sounds fair to me
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 05:39 PM   #5
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
As said above, Jackson, that watch at that price seems fair if not exactly a steal.

The most important thing is not the price, as you'll have gathered and steals always cut two ways.

You need to first know that the watch is genuine. You mentioned it was recently serviced, so you can begin by authenticating the service receipt with the service agent. If the agent is authorised, then you can sleep easy and probably go no further. That watch, recently serviced by an authorised RSC is a good price because it will most likely be as new.

If that turns out to be complicated, then you can arrange to send the watch to an authorised RSC for inspection. In Singapore that can be done while you wait. If it checks out, then again, you'll be buying well.

Finally, if you trust the seller, that counts of course. A separate question is how many people does the seller trust? I mention this not to set you up to insult the seller, but so that he'll understand that you're trying to honour your Father, and the extra effort to ensure authenticity is all part of wanting to do that. I'm sure he'll understand. If he doesn't, then you're better off looking elsewhere.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 09:16 PM   #6
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
which shop did u approach ....:)

how much did they ask for in sgd?

there are many used watch stores in singapore.....

was the service performed at the rsc or just a normal watchmaker......?

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 09:21 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, Jackson.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 12:14 AM   #8
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Welcome to the TRF! This is the place for good information!