The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 October 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
carnut335
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII-BLNR
The Ranger...

I made the apparent mistake of falling in love with the Ranger. I think that one is one of the coolest watches on the planet. Reminds you of an Explorer, but on closer inspection it's just a little different. I'd love to add one to my collection.

Problem is, the entire line seems so sketchy, I'm not sure where to find an original. I mean, look on eBay - most of the ones listed there have the red lettering, which raises an eyebrow. As much as I love the watch, I'm concerned that it will never really be a collectable because they are so often faked.

What are the thoughts here on the Ranger? Is it worth it to find an original, or is that one of the names that has been so poisoned by fakes that the have all lost value? Is an Explorer really the answer?
carnut335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 02:10 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Well if you want one that badly, it would be worth it to you no? Good luck on your endeavor.

I imagine your best bet at an original would be antiquorum auction. Failing that, participate in a bunch of estate sales.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I love the Tudor Ranger. If I had a chance to buy one, I would. Beautiful piece.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Oh hey! Speaking of antiquorum, they're going to be in SF on the 27th! You might find someone there with one
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Cool looking watch!
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Atty.Oliver
Banned

Watch: AP, Pam & IWC
Not a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut335 View Post
I made the apparent mistake of falling in love with the Ranger. I think that one is one of the coolest watches on the planet. Reminds you of an Explorer, but on closer inspection it's just a little different. I'd love to add one to my collection.

Problem is, the entire line seems so sketchy, I'm not sure where to find an original. I mean, look on eBay - most of the ones listed there have the red lettering, which raises an eyebrow. As much as I love the watch, I'm concerned that it will never really be a collectable because they are so often faked.

What are the thoughts here on the Ranger? Is it worth it to find an original, or is that one of the names that has been so poisoned by fakes that the have all lost value? Is an Explorer really the answer?

Never been a fan of Tudor but I can share this with you...
Rule of thumb seems to be... be very weary of Tudor Rangers esp "Rose" Rangers... James Dowling (Moderator of Timezone Vintage Rolex Forum and co-author of the Best of Time, Unauthorized History of Rolex" says that 98% of the Rangers that he has been offered have been faked (or at least redialled) and has, to this day, only one that he is confident is original. Two versions apparently - very similar. One with and one without a date.
Atty.Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Do you have a pic of it I've never seen one?
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 10:24 PM   #8
carnut335
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII-BLNR
Here's a pic

Again, not sure if it's legit, but it's not the obvious fake with the red lettering

carnut335 is offline   Reply With Quote