The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 May 2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Tudor Chronograph Knowledge

Hi Everyone

Just seeking to improve my knowledge of Tudor Chronograph's. What's the difference between a Big Block & a 79280 (Tudor Prnice Date Chronograph).

What's the difference in value? Any wrist shots?

Thanks in advance

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Tiger Dial Differences

Sorry, another more specific question: What's the difference between a Tudor Chronograph with "Tiger" on the dial & one without? Which is the more desirable? Would there be a big difference in value? i.e to use as a negotiating tool? Saw a 2001 white face model for £1100 without "Tiger" on the dial but with B&P.

www.cheetah.org

Last edited by Tony-GB; 21 May 2008 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: question not accurate
Old 21 May 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Can Anybody Help...

Anyone...?

I did use the search box, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyone...?

"Bueller...? Bueller...? Bueller...?"

www.cheetah.org
Old 21 May 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I for my part am not big on Tudors.

But maybe this Tudor Reference Sites overview can give you more information about the Big Block and 79280.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 10:55 AM   #5
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I am not sure exactly what you want to know.the tiger model was simply the model sponsored by tiger woods,and sure they are collectable.
also a big block is exactly what it sounds like,a larger "block" or case.as for price,I saw a tiger model today for 1,500 u.s. dollars-thats a bit cheaper than the one you saw (I believe)
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
Here's mine...

Tudor Sized.jpg

Fellow TRF Member Dan Pierce has a great one with a black face.

I bought mine new in 1996 for $1100 (US Dollars). Mine is a "pre-Tiger" model. I saw the Tiger models the next year. After Tiger's deal ran out (maybe during) the name changed from "Oysterdate" to Prince Date" on the dial. During and after the Tiger era, the logo on the crown went from the Rolex Crown to the Tudor Shield. Some of the later models used a Tudor specific bracelet that didn't resemble either the Oyster or Jubilee types.

Mine has the Tudor logo both inside and outside the clasp. Older models have Rolex insignia.

That ain't much, but it's about all I know about these watches (aside from the simple fact that they're GREAT watches!)

Here in the USA, the pre-Tiger models seem to have a higher price than the more recent versions.

Good luck searching for your new watch!

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
The Tigers do not have Rolex wording on them. Case backs and crowns are Tudor; Jim
JimSnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 04:35 AM   #8
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I for my part am not big on Tudors.

But maybe this Tudor Reference Sites overview can give you more information about the Big Block and 79280.
Thanks Bo

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 04:36 AM   #9
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
The Tigers do not have Rolex wording on them. Case backs and crowns are Tudor; Jim
Superb. That's what I was after. Thanks Jim.

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 04:48 AM   #10
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Rawhyde, I love that watch. Can you say what is the approximate value of that watch these days? You dont see them too often, but they are lovely.

One thing I noticed is that your bezel is different from the others I have seen, which have a tachygraph bezel.
cmcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Tony,
I'm traveling and can't spend as much time on TRF as I want.

The last "Big Block" series [79160 w/ fixed black tacky bezel, 79170 w/ rotating bezel, and 79180 w/ fixed metal tacky bezel] were produced until about the early to mid 1990's. They featured Rolex cases, crowns, bracelets and Tudor clasps. The next series, the 79280 did not have the Rolex labeled case or crown. The case was changed as well to look more like a modern Daytona. Not sure exactly when the Tiger versions were produced but they did not sport the Rolex crown anywhere on the watch. The 79280P series had polished lugs, hence the "P". Hope that helps.
The "Big Blocks" are considered more desirable than the Tiger models. The Monte Carlo dialed versions even older that the 79170 series are even more desirable and the prices are going thru the roof.
A few gratuitous picks of my 79170.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020979.JPG (92.4 KB, 10407 views)
File Type: jpg P1020986.JPG (136.4 KB, 10385 views)
File Type: jpg P1020999.JPG (103.3 KB, 10365 views)
File Type: jpg P1020998.JPG (142.7 KB, 10384 views)
File Type: jpg P1030059.JPG (133.4 KB, 10333 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 04:53 AM   #12
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Woah, £5.5k?!?!
http://www.chrono24.com/web/en/herst...lastshowpage=2
cmcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 04:53 AM   #13
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
Here's mine...

Attachment 29111

Fellow TRF Member Dan Pierce has a great one with a black face.

I bought mine new in 1996 for $1100 (US Dollars). Mine is a "pre-Tiger" model. I saw the Tiger models the next year. After Tiger's deal ran out (maybe during) the name changed from "Oysterdate" to Prince Date" on the dial. During and after the Tiger era, the logo on the crown went from the Rolex Crown to the Tudor Shield. Some of the later models used a Tudor specific bracelet that didn't resemble either the Oyster or Jubilee types.

Mine has the Tudor logo both inside and outside the clasp. Older models have Rolex insignia.

That ain't much, but it's about all I know about these watches (aside from the simple fact that they're GREAT watches!)

Here in the USA, the pre-Tiger models seem to have a higher price than the more recent versions.

Good luck searching for your new watch!

Rawhyde
Thanks Craig. You have been extremely helpful.

Great pic BTW!

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 04:55 AM   #14
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
I am not sure exactly what you want to know.the tiger model was simply the model sponsored by tiger woods,and sure they are collectable.
also a big block is exactly what it sounds like,a larger "block" or case.as for price,I saw a tiger model today for 1,500 u.s. dollars-thats a bit cheaper than the one you saw (I believe)
Thanks Steven

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 05:11 AM   #15
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Tony,

The last "Big Block" series [79160 w/ fixed black tacky bezel, 79170 w/ rotating bezel, and 79180 w/ fixed metal tacky bezel] were produced until about the early to mid 1990's. They featured Rolex cases, crowns, bracelets and Tudor clasps. The next series, the 79280 did not have the Rolex labeled case or crown. The case was changed as well to look more like a modern Daytona. Not sure exactly when the Tiger versions were produced but they did not sport the Rolex crown anywhere on the watch. The 79280P series had polished lugs, hence the "P". Hope that helps.
The "Big Blocks" are considered more desirable than the Tiger models. The Monte Carlo dialed versions even older that the 79170 series are even more desirable and the prices are going thru the roof.
dP
Thanks very much Dan.

I have seen a 2001 79280, with Rolex Crown & case & Daytona bezel on a black leather strap with B&P. It doesn't have "Tiger" on the dial, but has "Tudor" & "Prince Date" on the dial - not "Oyster". Just wondering on it's legitimacy.

It's so damn difficult sourcing data on Tudor's.

www.cheetah.org

Last edited by Tony-GB; 22 May 2008 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: .
Old 22 May 2008, 05:21 AM   #16
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Quote:
Tony,

dP
I agree with 99% Dan but the reference 792** models did not necessarily have the Tudor caseback and Tudor shield on the Triplock crown - this is the period when the changeover happened.
If a 792** series has 'Oysterdate' on the dial then it should have the Rolex Triplock crown and Rolex signed caseback.
If it has 'Prince date' on the dial it could have either Rolex or Tudor crowns/ casebacks but I'm very wary of the Rolex signed ones.
If it has Tiger on the dial then IMO it should be Tudor all over.
Old 22 May 2008, 05:38 AM   #17
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
I agree with 99% Dan but the reference 792** models did not necessarily have the Tudor caseback and Tudor shield on the Triplock crown - this is the period when the changeover happened.
If a 792** series has 'Oysterdate' on the dial then it should have the Rolex Triplock crown and Rolex signed caseback.
If it has 'Prince date' on the dial it could have either Rolex or Tudor crowns/ casebacks but I'm very wary of the Rolex signed ones.
If it has Tiger on the dial then IMO it should be Tudor all over.
Neil, why "very wary of the Rolex signed ones"?

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 06:04 AM   #18
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Neil, why "very wary of the Rolex signed ones"?
because it's very hard to date a Tudor watch accurately and I know for a fact that both 791** and 792** with 'Oysterdate' on the dial should have Rolex case/crown and that both the 'Prince date' dial & 'Tiger' dial models are both quite correct to have Tudor case/crown but the 'Prince date' ones signed Rolex could quite easily be 'made' that way after the original sale to be more desirable.
Just my humble opinion
- Neil.
Old 22 May 2008, 07:28 AM   #19
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
because it's very hard to date a Tudor watch accurately and I know for a fact that both 791** and 792** with 'Oysterdate' on the dial should have Rolex case/crown and that both the 'Prince date' dial & 'Tiger' dial models are both quite correct to have Tudor case/crown but the 'Prince date' ones signed Rolex could quite easily be 'made' that way after the original sale to be more desirable.
Just my humble opinion
- Neil.
That is VERY interesting.

Thanks Neil

www.cheetah.org
Old 22 May 2008, 09:42 AM   #20
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
Rawhyde, I love that watch. Can you say what is the approximate value of that watch these days? You dont see them too often, but they are lovely.

One thing I noticed is that your bezel is different from the others I have seen, which have a tachygraph bezel.
Thanks! I've had it since 1996 and I still enjoy it a lot! I don't know for sure what it is worth, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of US$3500 or thereabouts.

Dan's watch has the rotating bezel similar to mine. The non-rotating tachymeter bezel was available in the same time period. The later versions with the tachymeter bezel had the big polished stainless steel bezel like the current Daytona.

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 11:00 AM   #21
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just my humble opinion
- Neil.
Thanks for the clarification, Neil. The details, especially with Tudors can get really complicated. Always happy to learning more.

dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 May 2008, 05:42 PM   #22
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Neil. The details, especially with Tudors can get really complicated . Always happy to learning more.

dP

Ain't that the truth Dan! LOL
Old 22 May 2008, 06:01 PM   #23
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
Thanks! I've had it since 1996 and I still enjoy it a lot! I don't know for sure what it is worth, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of US$3500 or thereabouts.

Dan's watch has the rotating bezel similar to mine. The non-rotating tachymeter bezel was available in the same time period. The later versions with the tachymeter bezel had the big polished stainless steel bezel like the current Daytona.Rawhyde
Hi Craig, I believe that all three versions were available to buy at the same time, I don't think the S/S bezel is a later version

Fixed black tachy bezel: = model: ***60 (eg 79160 or 79260)
Rotatable black 12hr bezel: = model: ***70 (eg 79270 etc..)
Fixed steel tachy bezel: = model: ***80 (eg 79280 etc..)

- Neil.
Old 22 May 2008, 08:41 PM   #24
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Hi Everyone

Just seeking to improve my knowledge of Tudor Chronograph's. What's the difference between a Big Block & a 79280 (Tudor Prnice Date Chronograph).

What's the difference in value? Any wrist shots?

Thanks in advance
The serial no. of 792x0 tudor chrono started at B6xxxxx in around mid 90's. In this early day, it came with rolex crown and rolex case back, and with prince oysterdate on the dial instead of prince date. Later on, the dial changed to prince date.

In serial no. of about B95xxxx, it came with tiger logo and also tudor crown and tudor case back as well.

There are quite some difference between teh 792x0 series and the 791x0 series though both of them use ETA7750.

1. The side of the case of 792x0 is round while the side of the case of 791x0 is straight.
2. 791x0 only came with rolex crown and rolex case back.
3. The dial of 791x0 only come with oysterdate
4. 791x0 only came with oyster bracelet (78360 tudor bracelet with 589 end pc) while 792x0 could come oyster bracelet (78400 tudor bracelet with 605 end pc), jubilee bracelet or leather strap.
5. The numeric characeters at the 4 O'clock position on the bezel for 79180 and 79160 are squeezed together while the characeters are farther away from each other for 79280 and 79260 respectively.
6. 791x0 only came with satin polished type of lugs while 792x0 came with either shiny polished type lugs (latter version, it is why I guess the P of the 792x0P stand for polish) or satin polished type lugs (earlier version)
7. 791x0 came with plastic cover while 792x0 come with sapphire crystal
8. 79180 came with satin type bezel while 79280 came with polished type bezel
9. 792x0 came with various type of dials including those with arabic numeric hours marker

There are still some more .....

You may refer to the following link ...

http://www5.discuss.com.hk/viewthrea...Ddigest&page=1
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 10:20 PM   #25
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
There's not a whole lot I can add to what's already been written except that from what I've seen, expect a 791XX to fetch about 25% more than its 792-series counterpart. Since Dan mentioned gratuitous photos ...

Old 22 May 2008, 10:55 PM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Nice pics, Gedanken!

Great detailed info, Bagel.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 May 2008, 11:37 PM   #27
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagel View Post
3. The dial of 791x0 only come with oysterdate
That's interesting. So would the dial on my 79170 be a replacement?

I also noticed that Craig and Dan's 79170s have tritium markers and dials, while mine's Luminova.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:56 PM   #28
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
That's interesting. So would the dial on my 79170 be a replacement?
I also noticed that Craig and Dan's 79170s have tritium markers and dials, while mine's Luminova.
Yes it would appear so.
Hers is my B721*** series 79270 with Rolex signed case and crown - 1st sold in 1999:

and the three different bezel types.
From left to right: the ***60, the ***70 and the***80:

Nicely worded info bagel :)
Old 23 May 2008, 12:44 AM   #29
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Neil,
The silver dial 79170 is stunning!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 23 May 2008, 01:08 AM   #30
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Yes it would appear so.
Hers is my B721*** series 79270 with Rolex signed case and crown - 1st sold in 1999:

and the three different bezel types.
From left to right: the ***60, the ***70 and the***80:

Nicely worded info bagel :)

They all look great!!

What is the date magnification on those babies?
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote